2007-03-14 21:56:10

hi all,
just to let you know that i am well, kind of developing a game. actually, i'mm not too sure if develop is the right word here, because i am (only) using just basic, which is not that powerfull, but i am going to try my best to make quite a good game and self voicing.
if i find out how i plan to put on some unlockables as well.
i have 2 ideas in mind, but i do not know which one to develop, both sound good! i only really want to develop one, then get even more knowledge and upgrade the ote one with more features.
first idea: a kind of fantasy rpg, or action adventure.
second idea, which i kind of have a more clearer view of, a futuristic game. complete with training levels!
basicly this game is, you are a robot, and you must fight the enemies of earth. some are humans, some are aliens, and others are... well... unknown! the more you beat, you get upgrades. weapon and power.
you can power up. when you power up you have the opertunity to execute either a power move, double powermove or tripple, or perhaps (if you power up enough) a super power move, which will (almost) destroy your opponent instantly.
there will be other surprizes, and when you come against them, it inputs the info in a text file on how toget to a training level containging more information on that particula part.
there's my ideas. will post more ideas about the fantasy game when i get some.
regards,
aaron

2007-03-15 11:04:57

Is this going to be that one with so many sounds that it's over 1 Gig? smile

2007-03-15 13:59:37

take the second option! it sounds cool. is really all i wanted to say, but hey, this sounds cool. dunno what it can and cannot do, but maybe i'll just wait and see...

2007-03-15 14:04:03

no, not 1 gig i don't think.
while i'm waiting for audio game maker i plan to develop this game.
when audio game maker comes out, i think i will go for the big 1 gig. what i will do,
but i will need a web hoster for this,
i will have no choice but to offer split downloads. so: file 1 would be some sounds. file 2 even more, and lots of those, and the final file will be the exe and read me file. or, i could offer a full install, but it might take aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages to download and install.
lol. what to do.....
regards,
aaron

2007-03-15 16:21:42

Or you could just study the basics of audio compression technology...

2007-03-15 18:38:54

Hi Aaron,
You could always try programming in autoit, which I think is a little more powerful than Just Basic. Just a sujestion though.

2007-03-15 22:04:12

Hey,
I could help you program this game if you want. But from your ideas, I don't think its possible in basic. I would use AutoIt or VB. I was able to make a really good game in autoit as you know, so I'd consider that. I can help you if you want, I'll talk to you on msn tomorrow or something.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-03-16 12:40:50

ok.
first of all, i'm using a programming language called,
"just basic", available from www.justbasic.com. it's a windows language. if you want some just basic games check out www.dragonslayergames.net
they are not as good as the up and comig dangerous waters though. dangerous waters is by far the best just basic game i have ever played.
the game is 100 megs! i will not say any more, otherwize i might be kicked off the team lol!
anyhow. i have an idea for the fantasy game. it'lll be called rize of the unknown. you go around, and have to battle orcs, trolls, elves, etc. the power up system works like this:
if you've played dragon warrior((the rpg), it's kind of like that.
but...
power up once you can do extra damage.
power up twice you can do extra damage or execute a power move.
power up 3 times you can execute a double power move.
power up 4 times it's tripple power move time.
power up 5 times you can do tripple power move, extra damage, or continue powering up.
powering up from 6 to 10 is "hero power up mode". music changes and you are getting stronger... stronger.. sregards,
aaron
tronger...
at 10, you'll transform, and have th opertunity to do a "beast move", which does a lot of damage.
power up even more you get just stroner.
finally, if you power up enough, you'll conjure up "the blade of heroes", which is very powerfull and is used to defeat the alst boss, have no idea what it'll be yet.
second option still have not thought any further on, please, give suggestions! especially, the name!!!!

2007-03-16 15:27:17

Dangerous waters is cool! very cool indeed.

As to the games, i'd love to see a real time action rpg title, sort of like audio zelda or Secret of Mana, where all the combat is done in real time, however you have experience, spells stats etc. A couple of ideas I have regarding the audio game maker are going along those lines, but we'll just have to see what happens when it comes out.

As to the games, a power-up thing in combat is okay, but how about also including item use in combat? imho this would add a lot of stratogy.

For instance, if you had some healing items, you could use these strategically to give yourself some extra time to power -up. Also, if there were items that would damage your opponent for a number of rounds, say some kind of magic spell that would cause them to burn for a small amount of damage each round, you could use this and then power-up.

Another idea (though it might be hard to program), might be to include items that effect your stats for short periods of time. For instance, you could have an item that ups your defence temporarily so you don't get hit as much (again useful for powering up or healing), or an item that ups your attack temporarily thus allowing you to do extra damage to your enemy without powering up.

Of course, all of these depend entirely upon you being able to program effects that have a duration over a number of rounds, and I'm not sure whether this would be possible in just basic, but imho it would deffinately add interest and strategical elements to the game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)