2012-05-16 02:39:57 (edited by blindncool 2012-05-16 02:41:04)

Well folks, I have for you today, two new text RPG'S, in Z-code (one being ported).
First, not really new, but you all have heard me rave about Caverns of Chaos, a limited parser If RPG which takes place in the island country of Pandaris. The king and queen have been captured by a troll in a cave somewhere. You as the Adventurer will roll your stats, travel to the cave and hopefully kill that nasty troll. And the second is HLA Adventure, originally by Paul Panks and ported by Roger Pepetone. The story takes place in an unknown land, where a dragon must be killed. The original is a win32, mac and linux executable as well as a zcode game (the executables are in if-archive/games/pc, mac and linux). The Inform version, along with Caverns of Chaos as always is in ifarchive/games/zcode.
So take your choice, kill a troll or a dragon, watch out for yourself and enjoy!

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-05-16 03:10:18

hmmm, where are the links?

That is not dead which can eternal lie, yet with stranger aeons, even Death may die.

2012-05-16 03:15:24

HI.
yep i was going to ask the same thing smile.
although these kind of games aren't really my thing. but they sound like fun things to do.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-05-16 04:49:05 (edited by blindncool 2012-05-16 04:52:46)

Caverns of chaos:
http://ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/z … verns.zip.
Hla Inform: http://ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/z … inform.z5.
Note:
Clicking does not work, so just copy the addresses and paste them in your address bar.
If that does not work:
go to www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-archiveXgamesXzcode.html, and click caverns.zip or HLAinform.z5 respectively.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-05-16 09:37:19

Thanks blindncool.

I saw both of these as straight up dos applications on baf's guide, but I never heard there were inform versions of them.

That's very good to know, sinse inform will be much easier for people to play.

needless to say both games got bombed by the If community, but the if community don't like rpgs after all. It's a shame that Paul Panks is no longer with us, sinse for one thing he'd be a great person to write text rpgs, and for another, I think like the other developers I've contacted he'd like to know his work is appreciated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-05-17 22:34:11

Paul Panks also wrote Westfront, the trials of Guildar, another RPG that could use porting.
Westfront II is another Paul Panks adventure RPG that could use porting as well.
Perhaps when I get either a Win XP laptop or an XP VM, I'll maybe get around to porting them to I7.

2012-05-18 08:19:28

Ah, speaking of paul, not sure what you'll be able to do with that fourth continent. Or is it the 5th one.
2 of them aren't finished sadly.

2012-05-18 09:47:45

Sinse it's a windows application, the original westfront I believe works okay on windows 7 32 bit, not sure about 64, so there doesn't seem need to port it.

There were a lot of games with the westfront name on paul's site,however which are playable on a pc, which were at least sort of current and which were in inform I don't really know, indeed that was why I was trying to contact Paul Panks myself, ---- only to find he'd died in a motor accident in I believe 2006.

Quite sad really, sinse he seems to have received really bad press from the usual if crowd, but had a thing about rpgs.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-05-22 02:45:03

I agree about Paul, a genious really.
It's just sad that he died.
But anyways have any of you played HLA yet?

2012-05-22 17:55:36

Hi,
I'll give these a try. These sound like my sort of thing, romp-type things.

2012-05-30 23:40:49

They are quite good. The only downside to CoC is that once you get to the cavern, there's a limeted things you can do, too many ways to die and no one to fight. For example (spoiler alert), once you descover the well, enterable mirror, pool and the queen statue, that's about it. I really wish someone would expand it as it's a good concept it's just too small of a game. HLA is good, it actually... Sorry but let's just say it  kept me up all knight...Hahaha :d. I would compair HLA to something like kerkerkruip, an epic idea and a battle system and quests that make you want to slap your gramma.

2012-05-31 18:09:27 (edited by aaron 2012-05-31 20:31:17)

Hi,
can you give me a little more info on kirkruip? i checked the entry but i'd like a bit more info, even miner spoilers just so i know what i'm in for, how long the game is, etc.
the same goes for HLA. I haven't tried it yet but I'd like just a little more info.
edit: for those havving trouble finding these, use the search field on the following page:
http://www.wurb.com/if
it will find them, along with the original ms-dos versions.

2012-06-01 23:55:36

hey not to go too far off topic but does win frotz work for windows 7 cause i tried running some games and its hard and i can't seem to download winfrotz tts.

2012-06-02 00:06:34

winfrotz tts is pretty much dead, it was based on a version of winfrotz from 2002, and hasn't been updated sinse 2004.

Winfrotz itself will run fine on windows 7, also (confuzingly), it actually has a sapi output feature, which you can enable in options. The only trouble with sapi is there is no way to either interupt the speech or review your last command. i use a combination of the sapi for auto speech and reading with Hal's virtual curser. Other screen readers I'm not certain of, but certainly the program should run with no trouble at all.

@aaron, kerkerkruip is based on a roguelike. This means it is rather harsh (one death no saving), has very random layout, and very involved combat.

It is not a long game, but it can be played at a number of difficulty settings, however be prepared to play tactically, and to run into and explore lots of unique affects and situations. It's highly worth a try though, if nothing else for the really individual monsters and quite amazing combat.

La adventure I'm not sure because I've not played it yet.

2012-06-02 04:52:51

thanks dark i use window-eyes and when i ran a game it wouldn't speak the menu bar at the top when i press the alt key and when i arrowed up and down that didn't help much

2012-06-02 12:59:58

Well, try the window eyes curser, other than that I'm not sure, though I know trenton has used win frotz with it.

2012-06-05 20:40:21

Hi,
Well I've tried kerkerkruip... and i am impressed! it's nice that there are optional effects. Combat is very nice. And below, I'll put some more in-depth thoughts and so I'm doing a
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s
p
a
c
e
I found a room with pipes, and a wheel. turning it makes the room fill with smoke! Also, I like the idea of the temples, I got some cursed equipment as a result of doing things wrong though.
It's very nice that there are unlockable achievements too. The monsters are nice too, I love the chain golem, but that reeper is a nightmare!

2012-06-05 23:16:04

Yep, the reaper is nasty. I only managed to beat it by doing a level 2 monster first, gaining a protection effect and then swatting a couple of level ones for their abilities, as well as grabbing a healing scroll mid way through the fight.

However, even after I'd fought the thing off, the level four monster (who's identity I won't reveal in case of spoilage), proceeded to totally slaughter me, ---- it makes the reaper look like a care bear! big_smile.

There are some pretty awesome items and affects though, I especially thought the pickaxe was pretty good, and apparently more is coming in version 3.

My only real problem with the game is I wish there was more of a clear advancement with experience, sinse sometimes I've found myself having to choose to fight through three or four level 1 monsters which don't gain me much, or trying a level 2 or still worse three monster with nothing.

It's a shame you swap bennifits when you kill any monster, rather than retaining at least a little advancement, but then again i've not really investigated ment which I think is made to give you that edge over stronger monsters so that you can then fight weak ones and buff yourself up for the tougher battle, ---- though given how hard level 3 and 4 monsters are, I dread to think was maligris is like.

2012-06-06 14:45:32

Hi,
I've beaten maligris.
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s
p
a
c
e
was the level 4 momnster you battled the druidess?

2012-06-06 19:43:28

Spoilage!

yes, it was the druidess, who seemed tough as nails, though i suspect she gives you a pretty awesome ability once you defeat her.

2012-06-09 00:44:44

Hmmmm Dark, the reaper is quite challenging, but the druidess is a monster! It actually makes the reeper look like a baby!

2012-06-09 17:27:11

Hi,
spoiler!
the ability you get is... well, it's quite good but, nothing special really, honestly.
Put it this way it's not this uber cool super move of doom that kills enemies in one hit, so don't expect anything crazy like that.

2012-06-14 01:27:52

If you think Kerkerkruip is good now, just wait for the updates! Wuahoo!