2007-03-15 13:47:36

Hi, we are a group of Medialogy students from Aalborg University in Denmark, that hope someone could help us with a question.
We are at the moment working with a project that includes sounds and sound effects in computer games. We then wanted to know if there was any games out there were the user/player can record theire own sound effects?
We really hope anyone know anything about this and wants to help us, when its not much information about this out here on internet.

2007-03-15 13:51:32

hello there.
yes, the user can often do this, but only the sounds, not the way how they're played, so in a limited way only. if you change the .wav or .ogg files, you could make different sounds called modding, where you turn a racing game into a mine detonating game (see sonic zoom/mine detonator), for an example. with this method it is also pretty simple to change the language of the speech, allowing language packs, (see top speed 1 and 2 for an example). these are audio games and if you go to this website audiogames.net, which is in fect this forum aswell, there's an archive where you can find said games.

2007-03-15 13:55:11

not exactly, i do this quite often where i will want to mod a game for my own personal use. let's say tarzan junior a side scroller with various levels, obsticles and enemies.
i will use wavepad, a sound editting and recording program and use my own voice and sounds taken from different games to completely change the storyline of the game.
but there is no game where you can do this while playing the game. you have to go into te actual folder it is in and change sounds mannually.
best regards

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2007-03-15 13:59:25

But as far as I know, there's no game that allows realtime recording of the user's own sounds (so without an external recorder). It is possible though, with DirectSound.

2007-03-15 14:21:14

Thanks.
We were thinking about a game like this.  Not necessarily with he same interface but with the same idea.
http://www.education.vic.gov.au/languag … ndex.htm#1