2012-04-02 19:32:28

Since I failed epicly at the BGT competition, I decided to make up for it by throwing some things at you.

First up, here's my remake of Aprone's Temporal,. I finally added the save/load to it, and my internet finally came back long enough to upload it:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/Temporal.zip
The biggest differences between this and the original... well, it has sound, and I added a small training mission (open the door, go kill people if you feel like it).
Could definitely use voices, though. I imagine it would be hilarious to hear the guards talking as they notice you and try to decide who's going to lock the lab.

Next up, I made a new map for swamp, based on Mission 1 of Castaways:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/testmap.zip
Just extract the file in there into the maps folder of your swamp folder. ... So... c:\<..>\swamp\maps\
Then go into map testing from the main menu of Swamp.
I based this on a save with at least one of every building, but I kinda forgot to code the hospital, textile and barracks properly. There is a guard tower that works as a decent sniper post, though.
I've noticed that in map testing, the zombies tend to get stuck in the border. After I ran along hte borders with an assault rifle to set them loose, things got much more interesting.
You can also use the beacons (I think there are only 8). Houses and the farms don't have beacons, but most everything else does.

Somebody, enjoy!

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-04-02 21:50:04

CAE_Jones. Can you explain how you coded this. This si very interesting. I have noticed the border problem as well.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2012-04-02 22:09:41

I looked over a save file for castaways, and a map file for swamp. (Once I figured out what to look for, I could use find to jump past the huge lists of tiles... but getting to that point took most of the time I spent on it).
Once I figured out which lines in the castaways file define the terrain and building on a tile, loading those into a BGT program was easy.
I also made a Tile object in that program to store Swamp-style tyles. The only information that they really needed was the type and what building/region they're part of.
From there, it's a giant series of for-loops. I used loops to build the buildings as much as possible (I don't have the patience to code each tile by itself, hehehehe). I went with the general rule of ten swamp tiles to one castaways tile.
There are still some numbers in both files that I'm not sure of the use of. And it took quite a few tries to figure out which of the swamp tile numbers is for the building. Then there was something wrong with how I indexed buildings in my code, so the beacons didn't work, then they did work, but the buildings were all wrong, and... yeah, a lot of trial and error.

The program I wrote for this was written specifically for the castaways save I used, so there's a good chance it wouldn't work if I posted it and let other people try it on their own files. I might post it anyway if I can get it a little prettier.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-04-02 22:24:09

ah, yeah i noticed the silent zombies to, as i seemed to be attacked at times without knowing why or where the zombie was.
also is there loot or no?  only asking so that we can use the volcan on hoards propperly

2012-04-02 22:37:23

I thin that you should post it. You will never know what people might come up with with this program.

2012-04-02 22:54:18

I've never seen lute in test mode, though I don't think it resets your guns if you die and go back in immediately, so you can probably get infinite ammo by loading everything and getting killed (especially helpful with the vulcan, since it uses practically everything you have). I haven't tried this though, that's just what it looks like based on what I've noticed.
It seems that the zombies that get stuck in the border are usually on the north and west. Those on the south and east are usually free to cause trouble.
I'm starting to think I should have made more of the guard tower open for sniping... right now it only really lets you shoot out one side.
Oh, I also tried to update it so that the graphics actually have color now, but I don't know if that uploaded correctly.

Hmm, now I'm thinking I should try to mod a Castaways map to look like the Swamp map. I can't tell if that'd be easier, or harder... :-/

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-04-03 00:42:07

Nice work Cae on temperal with sound.

2012-04-03 01:35:15

CAE_Jones, can you please post the program you use. I want to take a look.

2012-04-03 02:12:29

I was actually about to look into adding to it, hehehehe.
I'll post it as is, though:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/o.bgt

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-04-03 02:15:45

Oh, I nearly forgot...

I modded Mission 4 of Castaways to look more like the maps of Swamp:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/swampt
I also cheated on starting resources and people, but I'm sure you'll see why (Even with all that I still lost to the plague when I played it).

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-04-03 02:27:17 (edited by gamedude 2012-04-03 02:32:26)

Cool. I am surprised that you have decided to keep going with this project.
It is like 15 minutes since I made this post. i tried the new map. As soon as I got on the map. I died. haahahahahahaha. They just all jumped on me. i couldn't even load a weapon.

2012-04-08 01:13:38

Hi CAE

I have a problem in temporal. On mission 2, I see 2 guards stacked on top of each other, both facing left. They're blocking the passage, and there is no way I can move behind one and use the time traveling thing. So, how do i kill these 2 guards?
A question. Did you make the other 2 missions yourself?
I like this version, especially since it has sounds.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2012-04-08 03:48:46

Heh, yes, it's true that you can't kill those guards directly.
There is a way to get past them. You'll just have to make your way around most of the map to find it.

I made mission0, and... umm... put mission 3 in the list even though it isn't finished yet.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-04-08 08:27:01

hi all.
I need help with temporal.
what can I do to complete the training mission and the first mission?
I press the space bar, type the time for example 1, then it says you have bumped to a previous version of your self!

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!