2012-02-10 23:22:18

This is firstly to introduce you to the spiffy new forum feature, the poll creator!

Doing this you can run a poll on the forum for people to vote on, that is give people some choices to click with different options over a period of days, and at the end of the specified period, the forum will close the voting poll and let you know which option got most votes.

With all the times developers ask whether we want feature x in a game or feature y, or people ask what is the best first person game? I thought a poll creator where votes were actually tallied would be a useful tool to have, hence why I asked sander to install it when I saw the option was there.

all that aside, lets get down to business, the rank poll!

You've all seen the forum ranks. These are audio gamer, advanced audio gamer, hyper advanced audio gamer etc.

In a discussion with Sander he mentioned the names were a little ad hock, and one thought I had was to change them to more interesting names that reflected some of our landmark audio games, and were a little more amusing in kind.

these would be names like kitchin golfer, tank compadre, zombie zapper, entombed one, swamp slayer, executive business monkey or perilous hearted. Names that had some sort of connection to some of the best audio games ancient and modern.

As well as being slightly amusing, moreinteresting to acquire when you reached a new rank and less drab than the old super uba guru hyper advanced audio gamer type of names, they'd also subtly advertise audio games to people brousing the site, and any newcomers we found.

note, that this would be just changing the names! your post count, and whatever rank you'd got would stay exactly the same as it is now, it'd just be called something different, ---- though sinse currently there are a few big gaps in post count vs rank I could always stick in a few new stages too, (especially sinse I imagine I can probably think of more random audio game related names than there are ranks currently!).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-02-10 23:42:13

Hello,

I would suggest that either keep the current rank titles as is, or change them as they will verbalise the experience of members in more formal language such as 'New Member', 'Senior Member' etc.

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.

2012-02-11 00:12:39 (edited by bcs993 2012-02-11 00:13:04)

Hi.
I like the more humorous names a lot.
But how would one sort them? For new audio gamers, a small audio game? Or do members get to choose somehow.
I mean, if someone doesn't play swamp at all, I don't know how they'll react to be called a "zombie zapper".
Might just be funny though. big_smile

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2012-02-11 00:48:08

@splendid fault, I must admit I'm less keen on that idea of a change, sinse 1, it would seem to me even more dull than the names we have now, ---- games are a fun hobby afterall and nothing wrong with a little humour just as in the news posts.

2, that is pretty much what most forums, whether their games, tech support, teacher training, governmental offices or anywhere else will have, and 3, you'd soon run out of ranks without it being ridiculous.

Junior member, member, full member, senior member, mmm, more senior member, even more senior member! we'd have to delete a fair few ranks just to stop the system becomming ridiculous, and sinse we're now getting people with rather high post counts, we should really be thinking of a system that lets us create! more ranks, not have less.

@bcs, this idea is similar to one I saw on the retroremakes forrum, based on historically important computer games of the 1980's.

a member started off as a wumpus hunter (which reference I got), then became an emerald archer, ---- which reference I didn't! then became a grue grabber, which I not only got, but thought very funny.

Based on the ranks I saw, even those I didn't get I thought were fun to read, sinse it was much more interesting to encounter cyber captain and emerald archer than just "junior member" or even "junior gamer"

Plus, unlike that system, we have the advantage that the list of games all these references will be taken from will be just one click away, which is also an advantage in the system, sinse if a person hadn't! played swamp, getting a rank based upon it might encourage them to wonder what is so great about the game that we made it a rank.

The only major disadvantage I can see here is that it could be in danger of being obscure and a bit too impenitrable and cleaquey if the references got too much based on in jokes.

For example, a "waiting at chillinghams' gate" referring to the joke that at the end of the game you basically get to that gate then wait for a sequal which will never come would be waaaaay over the heads of most visitors, and even a read of Chillingham's entry in the db wouldn't be enlightening.

To stop that happening, these ranks would be based only upon what information was obtainable from the db page, ---- indeed as far as possible I'd try to just involve a play on a game's title such as tank compadre or business monkey.

As you might tell, I obviously like this idea myself, but I don't think it's crucial. We can go on as we are, and maybe even add some new ranks in the same style, eg "super hyper advanced guru diehard audio gamer with avengence!"

But I think as a vibrant and creative community we can probably do better than this, hence the poll.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-02-11 04:22:10

I'm for the humorous titles.  Humor, I say!  Humor all the way!

It would make looking at the titles gamers get worthwhile.  I generally tend to skip over them as is because I got tired of seeing super, advanced, guru, hyper, huba nonsense and knowing that the only difference was the number of posts.  The ranks would actually mean something now, and it will also promote the audiogaming spirit in the longrun.  it might also get devs to try a little harder when making games to try and get their title on the ranking system.  :d

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2012-02-11 08:58:21 (edited by burak 2012-02-11 08:59:58)

Hi,
I think the names should be changed as zombie hunter etc etc, because they are being funnier.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2012-02-11 12:48:30

I'm also all the way for the more interesting ranks, so are 8 others. Yay or something.
This voting system is a really great idea.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2012-02-12 07:38:48

hi dark, how do you make votes before the post?

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2012-02-12 14:06:11

You should find the buttons to vote at the top of the topic Hanif, just hit the radial button for the choice you want, then hit vote

2012-02-13 05:49:05

i'm also for this newly proposed system of ranking. However, I would venture to take it a step further; that being to link to the game we're referencing. The kitchen golfer one is a good example. Most newcomers likely wouldn't imagine being able to play an audio version of golf at all without at least hearing about Jim's work first, but the Kitchen Golfer would arouse curiosity which I imagine would lead to active player of a game should he/she be pointed in the right direction.

2012-02-13 10:20:39

Hi pauly.

I'm glad you like the idea. The only thing with links on the titles to the db entry they refer to, is that firstly I'm not sure if the forum allows the use of bbcode in creating the names of the ranks to make them links, and secondly it'd probably be more of an annoyence for all our other members giving them one extra thing to tab through when looking at forum posts, sinse we already have links to members name, profile, send mail, view members' own site and now thumbs up. That is a lot of stuff, and adding another tab to the list probably wouldn't be welcomed.

Also, I'm not sure how needed it would be sinse a member can always find the golf game in the db which is afterall just on the front site and so perfectly understand the kitchin golfer reference.

This is the same reason why, when I create the site updates news items (actually just posts of my updates log file with some colourful text), I don't put links there even though I usually do in the news posts, sinse to do that for every single entry i modified would be frankly a pain in the kneck, and I just tend to think if a member is interested in a certin game they know where to find it.

Another way might be to have a ranks faq listing the ranks, the post counts to reach them and what games they reference, though I was inclined to leave this information secret just so that it would be a surprise to members when they got new ranks.

2012-02-14 12:59:35

well you can just list the users by number of posts in descending order and ou will have a pretty good overview of  what the post titles are. Well looks like I'm part of sarah's social circle. I wonder what she thinks about it.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2012-02-14 15:31:05

That is true, though I did specifically write ranks up to 4000 posts to cover most everyone on the forum, and this number will probably go up later, particularly if I think of any more ranks. I do in fact have a list of the ranks written out for my own reference, so it wouldn't be too hard to make a topic with that info and links to respective game pages, but I'm not sure if this is necessary or not, indeed I am partly inclined to keep the ranks a secret so that people are more likely to get surprised by them as their post count rises (yes, they'll see other people with ranks on the forum, but won't know the actual order and thus will hopefully get a surprise when they themselves reach whatever rank).
I've also put the wrate of new ranks to a solid 250 posts for each after the first two, which means not only a few more ranks, but also people will always know when they are due a new one.

Hope people like the names, I will admit to being proud of a couple of them big_smile.

2012-02-14 16:13:33

Yay! I am a troopanum trooper!

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page