2012-02-07 15:18:45

Hey guys.
For those of you who don't see the sound rts google group, just to let you know that sound rts 1.1 alfa 9 has been released.
You can find it at:
http://jlpo.free.fr/soundrts
I've copied the change log, for everyone's convenience:
The main changes since 1.1 alpha 8 are:

General:
- bug fixed: the shortest path implementation could cause synchronization errors in multiplayer games
- added a limit for teleportation: no more than 144 ground entities (units, buildings, goldmines, woods...) and 144 air entities at the destination
- the computer AI will retaliate for catapults too
- if a turn takes more than 3 seconds, the events won't be played until the end of the turn (to increase speed)

Rules:
- now building a temple only requires a keep instead of a castle
- researching super healer, conversion and resurrection now requires a castle

Translations:
- updated Chinese messages and actor voices (including tts.txt for SAPI and screen reader support)
- added a line to tts.txt specifying character encoding (default is "latin_1")

TTS mode:
- added a positional beep sound to positional messages in SAPI/screen reader/TTS mode (when pressing Tab for example)

Linux:
- added a "-s" or "--speechd" option to enable speech dispatcher for Linux
- setting "sapi=1" in the configuration file doesn't enable speech dispatcher any more
- bug fixed: when Speech Dispatcher for Python was present, SoundRTS wouldn't close

Modding:
- bug fixed: only damage_bonus and armor_bonus could be used with apply_bonus
- bug fixed: a bonus on hp_max didn't affect the starting hp of new units (existing units keep their current hp though)
Enjoy!

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2012-02-07 16:32:10

Very nice. I will have to download this. I have always loved sound RtS.

2012-02-07 19:43:59

Moderation!

as it says in the site faq, sinse this is a new version of an old game, the topic belongs in the new releases room now.
Not a problem, I moved it, but people could remember in future.

something new to play, ---- new releases room!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-02-07 21:03:28 (edited by bcs993 2012-02-07 21:04:39)

Hi there.
Well, as far as I understand this "new releases room", it's for new games, and test games, like some forum members make with BGT, or games like zero site, basically, new games.
Sound RTS, as far as I know, is about 5 years old, thus I just posted some news about the update in the general game discussion.
So, and with all due [moderator] respect, I find this moderation warning and "but people could remember in future" harsh, unfair, discouraging [for posting here again] and unnecessary, since I only wanted to help out.
I'm sorry if I'm miss-understanding anything here, but that's how I feel about this.

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.

2012-02-07 21:20:10

Hi,
I agree hole heartedly on that one BCS!!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2012-02-08 10:12:37

Well, it also seems as I've misunderstood what the "new releases" room should be used for. I thought it only was for new releases which means new games, and not new updates for old games.
BCS: Don't take the moderation that personly! This is not against you personly but just the fact that Dark has moved the topic and to remind us of the rules which a lot of us had misunderstood. smile
"Moderation!" does not  always mean something personal, but more like moderation of the post. I hope you get what I mean.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2012-02-08 12:57:15

if you read the site FAQ, the new releases room, as dark said, is for new versions of old games, new games, and tes games. So this is in fact the correct place to put it.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2012-02-08 19:01:22

Hi.
The move to the "new releases room", I don't find personal.
What I don't get here is this quote:
"but people could remember in future".
I find it hostile, almost. And I don't understand why.
On the FAQS:
I only saw that after I posted the topic, and then, not in detail. I don't recall it saying anything about old game's updates that belong in the new releases room.
But I'll check again.

Brendan
-----

2012-02-08 19:06:07

Hi,
Yeah, I don't remember anything in detail saying that either. Oh well.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2012-02-08 20:23:42

Hi Brendan and others,

this is, no doubt, a new bit of the forum that will take some getting used to for many, so it is likely that there will be slipups and a bit of confusion for awhile.

the new releases  forum was specifically designed for any new releases of accessible games.  New versions of old games fall under the scope and concept of new releases as they have recently been unveiled to the community.  It was also possible that someone might discover a game that many had not heard of but others had.  This kind of discovery should be placed in the new releases room to avoid cluttering of the general games discussion forum.

As far as Dark's moderation post goes, I would advise that you don't take it personally as I don't believe the "people could remember in future" bit was directed specifically at anyone, but a reminder to everyone that the new releases room exists for that reason, and also, that it takes a bit of work on the moderationside of things to move a topic that has been accidentally placed where it doesn't belong for the sake of keeping the forum tidy.

an accident is bound to happen though, which is what this was.  It could have been anyone, even myself as I am only human; believe me!  smile

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2012-02-08 20:45:19

Yes, and as a future tip, please don't post a report every time a topic is in the wrong place, not that i have seen this yet however. We as moderaters probably know about it, and there is really no need to point it out further. This isn't meant as an attack on anyone, just pointing out that we are all human here and we make errors.