2011-12-30 18:33:35

hi everyone

to directly smash a door i am sitting with a desision.
some of you all know i've jaws and hal. jaws is good at some points but on the other hand hal is better at other parts of my system. the role of the smugglers serie makes also sence. i've tried smugglers 3 with jaws, i've to say i was never confused at this level beffore. i was heavy confused.
smugglers 4 you shouldn't break my mouth. that was near impossible to play it. i was playing the 4 in the blind mode.
but i couldn't find some buttons cause they were lined out on the same line. i thought let i place my cursor on the right button and press the left mouse button. nothing happened.

to get a shot out of my business i want to know what's better in the newest version of hal, what are the things what were added, what can i do with the newest version of hal what i can't do with jaws or hal 11.56 etc.

maybe can dark tell me or somebody else who is using hal?

ciao

mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2012-01-01 15:06:45

of course, but you should mind using jaws at first place.

and well if you dont, then --- i would suggest to use nvda.

or you can also check on google the site of hal support and better ask them.

lol

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2012-01-02 07:51:40

hello.
just saying,the post above didn't make much sence.to me anyways. maybe I am just dum,but ey

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2012-01-02 13:55:02

ok gryff, if you feel that this post doesnt mean anything.

I will give you my forum password, and can you login for me and increase the post count?

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2012-01-02 15:49:44

hello
I didn't ment that your post  doesn't mean anything,some parts in it,didn't made any sence at all
as for increaseing your post count? so what you are trying to say is,you make posts with nothing constructive to say,just because you want your count to be high?sheesh
I'd rather have a low count in posts ,than clutter up the forum
ahh well,grryf.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2012-01-04 04:17:00

As far as I know, JAWS is the best screen reader out there. Never really heard of NVDA. But I do know this: If you want a good screen reader, try JAWS (if you can afford it). Otherwise, I have no idea.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-01-04 14:33:08

Hi.

No screenreader is the best screenreader. They all have their good and bad things. The Jaws cursor is very difficult to use if you don't know how to use it effectivly, but when you do know how to use it, it can be done without much trouble.
I'm interested to hear more about  Hal as wel, since I only have experience with Jaws, NVDA, a bit Window eyes, System access, Voiceover on the Mac and a bit  Ubuntu.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2012-01-04 14:41:41

Hi,

I'm an NVDA fan-dragon. big_smile
I would suggest, even if you have the money for JAWS, that you give NVDA a try. it's free and open source, so you might as well spend the money on something fun. smile
I certainly did.
Been using NVDA constantly for over a year now, and I do love it!

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2012-01-10 16:55:59

oops, it seems that i've forgotten this topic for an while right now. sorry.

but slj i believe you when you say when you've experience with the jaws ccursor you can use it effectively, but can you point me the right way when i talk about the smugglers serie?

and gorthalon, i've also tried nvda, not much i've to admit, but i've heard stories, that you can encounter systemccrashes at some times. is this the case of nvda? if not i can try it again.

i hope to hear from you both, or somebody else of course.

ciao

mike

p.s btw, don't tell me about the left mouse clicks and such things, that's wht i know, but i ask for the navigation tricks in the smugglers serie.

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2012-01-16 11:57:04

I've been using Jaws since 2002, including the Jaws cursor. I could not get Smugglers 4 to work properly with the Jaws cursor. Something about the two just doesn't work out, yet when I tried a demo of Hal it worked fine.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2012-01-17 06:22:16 (edited by tward 2012-01-17 06:29:22)

I can't really speak regarding the Smugglers issue, but I've had personal experience with Jaws, Window-Eyes, and NVDA. Saying that Jaws is "the best screen reader out there" speaks of your lack of experience using adaptive tech. The truth is that none are necessarily the best. Each have advantages and disadvantages that are better at some things than others.

However, personally I can say NVDA is currently my favorite. I've been using it since late 2010, and I've watched it grow into a powerful screen reader comparable to the commercial screen readers like Jaws and Window-Eyes which I had to pay hundreds for.

NVDA is free, is open source, uses a simple scripting language for writing custom modules and scripts, and supports a number of software TTS voices. Unlike Jaws and Window-Eyes it uses standard Windows events and Windows API functions to gather onscreen information rather than using a special intercept driver. As a result you can set your color depth and screen resolution up very high without it breaking the screen reader, and you don't have to worry about certain video cards breaking your screen reader compatibility in the process.

One of the things I like about NVDA is that it tends to keep up with changes of new software releases more than Jaws and Window-Eyes do.

For instance, there is a thread where someone is having issues with Firefox 9 and Jaws 11. NVDA 2011 has no problems with Firefox 9, and has superior support for the browser over Jaws and Window-Eyes. That's only one example where NVDA out shines the competition.

Another case I can think of is Visual Studio 2010. I downloaded the express version of VS 2010 as soon as it came out and neither Jaws 11 or Window-Eyes 7.2 could use it. The moment I stuck NVDA 2010 on my system it already had better support for the development environment over the commercial screen readers. NVDA 2011 actually seems to work even better with Visual Studio than NVDA 2010, and as far as I know the developers didn't even write any scripts, modules, etc for the IDE. It just worked out of the box.

It is cases like this that made me a die hard believer in the project. Its free, its open source, but the fact its doing things that even the commercial screen readers can't do without an expensive update got my attention in a hurry. I recommend before you put another penny towards Jaws, Window-Eyes, Hal, etc give NVDA a try. Some of the review commands are hard to get use to at first, but its worth learning the screen reader in my opinion. If nothing else you can use it as a back up screen reader in case something goes wrong with your primary commercial screen reader.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2012-01-17 16:07:49

I've used NVDA as well as my backup for some time. Last time I was having issues, quite a while ago before a lot of the bigger updates, I found NVDA actually gave me more information on the wi fi signal strength in the list of available wireless networks than Jaws. That is it gave me any information at all. It sounds like a small thing but sometimes it's the small things that make a difference, especially when they're all added up together.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.