2012-01-15 19:51:28

Hello all.
Do programmers rewrite windows audiogames for us for Mac Os too?
Thanks, Vojta.

2012-01-15 23:23:08

Well, not usually given the fact that the majority of Windows game developers use programming languages such as Visual Basic that are specific to Windows. That said, I've been interested in creating games for Mac OS X for a while now, but I'd have to adopt a different language and various APIs to actually do it.

Although, I personally write all of my games in C++ I don't have access to a Mac and can't recompile my code for a Mac OS system. Therefore, I'd have to likely use Python, Java, or some other cross-platform language which would take considerable time to rewrite all of my games for Mac. That's why there are very few games available for Mac currently, because most developers would basically have to rewrite everything just to support the platform.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2012-01-16 11:34:55

I believe Josh de Lioncourt of Draconis expressed an interest in making his games available for Macs but I haven't heard anything about this in a long, long time. Frankly I get the impression he's so busy with this maccessibility thing that Draconis is dead in the water as far as new developments go, though I hope I'm wrong.

More than anything I'd like a client such as VipMud for Mac, but I don't see Mr Greenwood converting any of his VB games over to Mac if there were a million years to do it. The issues mentioned above are just too much.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2012-01-17 02:25:25

Yes, last I heard Josh was developing a game engine for Mac OS. Based on what information he has told me is that the Draconis Engine is written in C++ and uses SDL for input, networking, etc and uses OpenAL for 3d audio. So it sounds to me like whenever he actually gets the engine done it will be a decent development tool.

However, I'm not surprised it is taking him so long to release anything. In addition to the engine I imagine converting all of the Draconis titles from Visual Basic 6 to C++ is a huge undertaking engine or no engine. Plus he is active in the Mac accessibility movement I don't know what time is spent on game development vs other Mac projects he is interested in.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2012-01-17 07:25:28

Hello.
And what about Munawar Biani and ThreeD velocity?
Vojta.