2011-12-18 06:03:27 (edited by jack 2011-12-18 06:04:31)

HI Dark,
I have the old description of showdown that disappeared. The old one has more to it than the new one, so please put this one on the games page, replacing the one that's on there right now. Here is the description, with the notice that it is now abandonware.
Real-life Showdown originated as a blind-accessible adaption for table tennis. It is played on a specially designed table, two paddles shaped like miniature cricket bats, a plastic ball (with a noisemaker inside), and protective gloves (to help protect players’ hands). The object of the game is to carom the ball off one of the sidewalls of the table, under the center screen, and into the opponent’s goal. The opponent tries to prevent this from happening, while in turn, attempting to score a goal.
The ball doesn't bounce but roll. The sound of the ball, produced by beebees rolling around inside the ball, indicates the location of the ball during play. The picture below shows 2 players playing Showdown (property of Reportage.org).
The picture shows 2 players playing showdown on a wooden table, one blindfolded and he just served the ball. Surrounding the table is a crowd of people watching the game.
Showdown could actually be considered to be an audio game as well, but just not an electronic one. Showdown is one of the more popular sports for visually impaired people, like Go-ball and Shooting.

When table tennis was adapted to the computer it was called it Pong. Now PB-Games has adapted Showdown to the computer and called it, well, Showdown! All the original rules apply. You shoot the ball against your opponent on the table, trying to score. Your opponent (the computer in this case) tries to defend it's goal hole, if the ball falls into this hole, you score 2 points, the same applies for if the ball falls into your goal hole. If you shoot the ball out of the table, the opponent gets 1 point. If one person gets 11 points or more, that person has won the current set. You play 3 sets, but if it is 2-0 in sets for you or the computer, you don't need to play the third set because there's no chance for the opponent to win the game.

When the game starts, the computer randomly selects the person that will serve first. Each person serves 5 times, then it goes to the other person and the other person serves 5 times, continuing back and forth. You move your racket with the left and right arrow keys, and you press the spacebar to hit the ball. To serve the ball, first move your racket to the location were you wish to serve, then use enter to serve the ball. To quit the game at any time, press escape. To pause the game, press "p", and when you are in the real "game" and not in any of the menus, you can press "q" to go back to the main menu. The "q"-key also works when you've paused the game. To navigate in menus, use the up and down arrow keys. To select an option, press enter.

The gameplay is enhanced with a male or female commentor of your choice and special effects like cheering crowds.
Though it's now abandonware, the game is still around thanks to Tom Ward of USA games interactive, so the game is still very much worth playing, if you're in for fast-paced ball bashing. Though the above link will download the game, there is also one for the packmate on www.braillesoft.net under packmate software.
best regards,
Jack

2011-12-18 14:53:14

Hi Jack.

thanks for locating the description, however it's not just as simple as copying one set of text somewhere else, indeed this is why writing the db needs to be done in the provided forms.

The description needs to be coded in html, and you also don't have the actual image that was on the original page.

while I could copy the text from your post, format it, remove the mentioned image, delete the current entry and paste itt in, that's a hell of a lot of work for essentially what is just a longer description of the sport of showdown, and I'm not really sure how needed that description is, wich is indeed why i didn't rewrite something similar when I rewrote the entry for the db.
Your point about braillesoft is a good one though, I'll go and check that and add the link if it's needed.

As I said I could! redo this entry, I'm just not sure whether it's worth it given the amount of work involved.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)