2011-09-21 10:34:56

There's an OpenID login at this forum. Does anyone actually use the OpenID login or is it better to disable it?

2011-09-21 11:29:21

I myself thought it was strictly for moderaters not the public. Then again, i'm not exactly sure what open ID is.

2011-09-21 15:55:55

I personally find it more cumbersome than helpful, as it generally tends to pop up after you've already tried logging in using your regular account credentials and wish it would be taken away or asigned its own link on the site if nothing else.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2011-09-21 18:13:13

I've never heard of open ID.

2011-09-22 10:34:03

what is it?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-09-22 12:43:03

Taken from http://openid.net/get-an-openid/what-is-openid/
start quote

OpenID allows you to use an existing account to sign in to multiple websites, without needing to create new passwords.

You may choose to associate information with your OpenID that can be shared with the websites you visit, such as a name or email address. With OpenID, you control how much of that information is shared with the websites you visit.

With OpenID, your password is only given to your identity provider, and that provider then confirms your identity to the websites you visit.  Other than your provider, no website ever sees your password, so you don’t need to worry about an unscrupulous or insecure website compromising your identity.

OpenID is rapidly gaining adoption on the web, with over one billion OpenID enabled user accounts and over 50,000 websites accepting OpenID for logins.  Several large organizations either issue or accept OpenIDs, including Google, Facebook, Yahoo!, Microsoft, AOL, MySpace, Sears, Universal Music Group, France Telecom, Novell, Sun, Telecom Italia, and many more.
end of quote

I've actually known about this for some time now, but never really tried it.

2011-09-24 13:15:59

The only problem is, this is only the second site I've ever seen it on, and being as the other one was sendspace and open id seems to have got lost after their redesign, it's a litle pointless now.

a super login for many sites is only really useful if many sites use it, and out of the two I've ever seen (this one being one), one seems to have recently stopped!

So I'd personally go for either giving it another link on the login screen, or getting rid of it entirely.

All it really does is mean I have to go past the first edit area, ie, press e one extra time in dolphin curser mode.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-09-24 14:07:24

Hi,
It seems they got rid of it. Was a bit weird without it there actually, even though I hnever used it, I sort of... got used to it being ther.

2011-09-25 14:44:29

Ah, I didn't notice actually sinse I've got the cookie set on his machine to log in.

i'm glad it's gone though, it just causes confusion really and didn't serve much of a purpose.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-09-26 01:08:27

I tick the box labeled 'Remember me on this computer' during login process, and my browser automatically logs me in each time I visit this forum.

I have associated an OpenID with this account but I rarely use it; therefore it doesn't really matter whether it would be disabled or not.

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.

2011-09-28 11:59:54

hi,
I've a few questions.
if, suppose, i tick the mark to remember me on this computer.
and my internet, I'm using dynamic IP, and preferably, my temperary files and history are deleted often.
so, in this case, would it work?

and one more question. suppose, if a spam bot registers on this forum with the same network as of the i s p that i'm using to connect, since i'm using dynamic i p, it could mean that the i p get changed frequently, though they are of same network...
and i've heard at many places that it bans the associated i p address and the whole i s p in this process.
so, suppose if a spambot registers from the same network as mine, would i also be banned in this process?

thanks,
sid.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2011-09-28 13:26:30

Hi sid.

About the deleting of internet stuff, there is a box labled "preserve data for favourites" or similar, make sure that is checked when deleting files and the remember me thing should theoretically always work, though I've noticed myself Internet explorer isn't good about keeping the cookie going so sometimes I have to log in again anyway, so even when using the "remember me" thing, make sure you know your password.

As to the Ip, ip and isp are different. The spambot's Ip is what is banned, as is any ip the spambot has had in the past, it would theoretically be possible for a spambot to reregister if it changed it's ip, mail address and user name.

Sinse however Ip is individualized (whether random or not), there should be no conflict with anothr person, ---- heck I've had several ip's myself when using different net connections and it's been fine.

As to isp and network, neither of these is banned at all. We could ban a mail domain, but not an internet service provider or network as far as I know, so you've no need to worry on that score, ---- and even if there was! a problem, just drop me a mail.

2011-10-19 09:58:56 (edited by bessyhedmand 2011-10-19 09:59:45)

open Id is less used by visitors as compare to login id.