2011-07-18 02:15:52

Hey all.
I've posted this kind of post in a lot of forums, but I want to know different peoples strategic way of dealing with this.
Last year, I found out about the BGT Toolkit that allowed one to creat scripts for audiogame creation. I sat down, looked at the tutorial over and over again, and after about three times of reading the whole introduction tutorial, I was still clueless as to how to even get started! I continued to go over the tutorial since then numerous of times, and I'm still confused on a lot of things. I have learned quite a bit, but I don't think its enough to get me started on an actual audiogame. And yes, I have taken the necessary steps to learn what I don't understand. For example, I've experimented a lot with the alert function enough to where I can understand variables, then experimentation with variable declarations, and started to learn about functions. I think that the alert function is the most basic thing in BGT scripting if you ask me. Anyway, after functions, I went completely blank! I didn't understand classes, objects, inheritance, and anything more than that! I was so frustrated!
So I steered away from the BGT Scripting and started to learn JAVA, then C++, and a lot of programming languages! Then, I just decided that programming is going to be difficult to learn in general. But I really do want to be a programmer. But anyway, that's enough about programming. I was wondering if people could please offer some kind of lessons of their own to assist me with learning the BGT Scripting Language. I'm really determined to creat my own audiogame, but don't know how to get started. Or instead of lessons, could people please give me tips on how yall learned programming, or BGT Scripting?
Thanks for all who help.

2011-07-18 03:03:06

Well, I started out by looking at simple javascript things you can do with webpages. It turns out the syntax there is pretty similar to C, Java, and BGT, so it was certainly a good place to start, I think.
That was a couple months before I started taking classes in java. For whatever reason, it took me a lot longer to get to where I could do games in java than in javascript. I wouldn't recommend trying that path, though, because javascript is a compatibility nightmare, especially for the sorts of things I was trying to make it do.

What makes java difficult is all the hoops you have to jump through to get sound to work. If you're having trouble with how classes work in bgt, java will probably be much more confusing.

I think I'm just going to advise taking it slow. Once you've accomplished enough with the simpler elements of BGT, you'll begin to pick up the more complex parts. Actually, one of my early javascript games was a mess of copy-paste because I couldn't figure out how to make functions work properly. (I still can't find a copy of that game anywhere... sad ).

Well, and I suppose the other option is for someone to throw the sort of assignments you'd find in programming classes at you. lol

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-18 03:56:25

hey,
the best way to learning a language is think about a idea, and then found the stuff in language tutorial that you looking for. this way, BGT is come like your second nature.
CAE,
yes this is also a good way to start out with a simple script. when I am in VB, I used message boxes and buttons to write a simple programme.

This is not a signature.

2011-07-19 01:22:02

Hi,
It is really ironic you steared away form BGT for something like JAVA and C++. With C++, you are going to have to write all your own code to handle sound buffering and playing which I think you will find a nightmare. Let's not discuss the way you're going to have to work with SAPI either...that's just going to be a mess.
Myadvice is to just work withfunctions and variables for the moment. NOt every game will reuire objects, heck, most small ones won't. Just takethings a little at a time and you should get it eventually.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-07-19 03:36:50

I think working with something like java or c++ would be a good way to learn the fundamentals of programming, but BGT is definitely several orders of magnitude easier for developing audio games.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-25 15:57:59

Thank you guys.
I just need something to get my brain going.
I really am into programming, but don't know if there are any brain exercises that will enhance the brain's ability to recognize logic. Because if I'm not mistakening, programming is all logical.
But when it comes down to the actual writing of sourceCode, my brain goes blank!

2011-07-25 17:21:10

My brain's been going blank for about a month now, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. smile

One of the first exercises that was mentioned in my first programming class was to write instructions on how to make a peanut butter sandwich. The human brain fills in gaps whenever it can, but a computer takes things quite literally and doesn't try to figure things out on its own (unless it's a recent microsoft product... -_-).

Though right now I'm tempted to write up different versions of the peanut butter sandwich instructions for different programming languages just for satirical purposes. But that would benefit no one... so I'll... do it somewhere else. tongue

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.