2011-07-24 08:23:12

Starting yesterday, I've been having trouble with Windows Live messenger. For some reason, both NVDA and jaws refuse to focus on the contacts list. I can tab between "your display picture" / "your personal message" / "status", but can't get to the contacts list (which is the only part I use anyway!). I can get jaws there using the jaws cursor, but NVDA has apparently been completely banished from it.
... Would it be wrong of me to jump to the conclusion that microsoft made some silent update that screwed this up? Considering that I could easily have hit some button somewhere without realizing it, or something.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-24 09:13:41

To be honest it'd be more likely that Microsoft would make some noisy update bragging about how much more user friendly it is, complete with a big message when you launch the new version. Screen reader users aren't high enough on the WLM team's radar I suspect to warrant a silent update.

Sorry I can't be of any help though.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-07-24 13:08:06 (edited by burak 2011-07-24 13:08:43)

Hi,
That was hapinned to me twice. Press escape I think. I was fixed that with pressing escape.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-07-24 14:39:27

maybe consider dropping a really bad app, which uses a lot of ram, connects to a lot of add-servers, and go to something easy like miranda!

2011-07-24 15:02:52

You mean something which takes three times as much effort to set up, doesn't support nudges or winks not to mention voice chat?

Miranda isn't a bad program, I hate the term app really, but it isn't always the best solution.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-07-24 22:11:37

Well, there's always instantbird.  It's still in development, and is definitely simpler than miranda.  smile

As far as miranda goes, there's people who provide their configurations for that same reason, so that no one ever needs to touch the preferences menus.  all you do is provide your username and password fiels in the boxes present in the account manager.

I've provided my config for a few people and am glad to say that most of them liked it and would never think of going back to WLM or using anything else.  Still, miranda isn't for everyone; no one thing is, and that's a fact.

If anyone wants to try it out, I'd be glad to upload it.

going back to InstantBird, it is quite accessible and has much potential as long as it keeps its current structure for the most part.  I haven't had any problems with it, but it does not allow for much in the area of customization.  If you don't care much for having your own sounds in a messaging application, or the fact that there's very little you can do to organize your contacts list, then I would suggest thinking about giving it a try.  it really isn't bad at all, and may include more in the future, as it is currently in version 1.0.  It's definitely a bit of software that I'l be keeping up with.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.