2011-03-02 18:30:40

As I am working out the details of the mud I am thinking about making, I thought we could come up with a good story or tale with lots of unexpected turns. Each of us could add just a little bit to it. I wonder what will become of it? Could someone come up with a good game based off of it at some time. I have no idea. does this Sound like a good idea?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-03-06 22:22:19

Well, I think we could get a perhaps interesting story out of it.  But I don't think you're going to get many useful ideas for your mud, I'm afraid. The questions I'm asking myself while mud building don't align well with story construction. For example:
1. What are the elements required in every city that a player can start the game from?
2. How many rooms will each of these requirements involve?
3. How much space should be left for things like player owned land, without making the map needlessly large? What is the average size of a starting city?
4. Are starting cities based on player race, player choice, or both? How does this effect the number of required cities, and thus the size of the overall map?
5. Should currencies and languages be shared between everyone, between groups of players via race and city? How many should there be?
6. How much space should be left between cities for hunters and crafters? How should it be organized?
7. Once these questions are answered, how does this effect the overall feel of the world? Does it still feel like a real place? If not, start from scratch.

Then we get into planning the details of each city, once the overall decisions have been made. IE: a map for each city that meets the overall requirements, and is still interesting and unique. NPCs. Quests. Shops. And be careful with shops and quests; prices and rewards need to be balanced over the entire game, not just the one area. This means lots of spreadsheets, and where randomness is involved, perhaps some testing and simulation.

Anyway, my point is, designing a mud and writing a story are different in detail.

2011-03-06 22:40:20

I think that could be like some 6th event in the Percy Jackson and the alimpians series.
But I'd have to say if you don't like Percy Jackson or the greek miths then you probally won't get much out of it.

I like to fly! I especially like to fly passed burning debris! wait, that's me isn't it. how unfortunate.
Hit me up on skype!
powergamer8