2006-03-18 18:49:51

Well the water wouldn't be radioactive any more... since radioactivity comes from unstable atoms not the water itself... but the area might still be, and the particles would be left in the original bowl I'm guessing.

And no, these bombs don't tend to have much to do with audio games... but mainstream games have used nukes or other big WMD style bombs or missiles for various roles... Command & Conquer for one, along with loads of others. Might appear some day in audio games, but in the fun way wink

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-03-18 22:28:55

Anyone ever heard of Time Irisis 3? That games stocked full of bombs and guns, and grenades and rockets as well. I have a clip from the game. Anyone who wants it let me know.

Discord: clemchowder633

2006-03-19 18:07:39

Not a game I've come across, but I can believe it, nukes are nothing if not dramatic. While it's never explicitly stated, the end sequence of super Metroid features a planet blowing up in a way that's very reminiscent of a nuclear explosion ---- though obviously not completely!

If you really want to see tonnes of Nukes thougha good amount of Sf published betwene the 1940 and 80s is (not surprisingly given world events), full of the damn things!
this also goes for the original series of Star trek, and quite a few early episodes of Dr, Who ----- the Daleks were the last survivors of a Nuclear war after all.

Now theres! some enemis I've love to see in an audiogame!

Out of interest, would there actually be any point ---- using Robjoy's sand method or the Solar Still method, in trying to remove radioactivity from water? Surely, if water you were about to drink was already contaminated, getting close enough to it to filter it would mean you picked up the radioactivity anyway ---- even though you didn't drink it. Plus, the environment would have to be fairly nasty if there was! no uncontaminated water available.

either way, your screwed!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-03-19 21:55:49

I meant Time Krisis three. Sorry, my finger slipped up to the i key. It's a game where people have planted missiles on the coast of Lucano, or some such place. It's a light gun game, so I don't think you've come across it. It's not that accessible but it's fun to hear people blasting away at people.

Discord: clemchowder633

2006-03-20 10:35:05

I've certainly come across it, but it's not a game I've seen enough in arcades to really remember. My brother's quite into playing such games, and watching him is often fun ----- particularly with house of the dead, zombis! splatter splatter!!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-03-20 10:40:07

Time Crisis sounds familiar, but I never played it myself.

As for filtering radioactivity out of water, it could be useful in some situations. You don't become radioactive by being exposed to radiation, the radiation just kills or mutates cells (mutates as in possibly into cancer cells).

The only reason they use decontamination for people working with radioactive material is so they don't leave the lab or wherever with something radioactive under their fingernails or in their hair. This is a big misconception people have. Radioactivirty is a sort of decay, and it isn't passed on from one object to another.

Filtering the water could be useful if you were living at a safe distance from the water, but you had a pipe to provide water for drinking etc and that was the only available source. It also depends on the type of radiation too, there are three normal sorts:
Alpha, can't get through a sheet of paper and only goes a few cm through air so is only dangerous if exposed directly to skin or if breathed in, eaten or drank
Beta, Can be stopped by thin metal. Usually the most dangerous since it can get through your skinfrom the outside and kill cells in major organs
Gamma, can't be reliably stopped but most of it can be stopped by lead sheets. In high enough amounts can be dangerous, but usually would just pass straight through you without doing anything.

Radioactive material fires off particles of a certain type, or sometymes two types. These particles fly along until they hit something, and might or might not hit or simply pass through. How likely to hit rather than pass through it is is called how ionising it is, alpha is the most ionising and gamma the least by a long way. The chance of it hitting is also determined by the density of the substance, which is why lead is used for shielding. This explains why alpha particles can barely pass through a small space of air whilst it takes lead or thick concrete to (mostly) stop gamma. Concrete is used for fixed sites because it's cheaper than lead, but the lead is used for moving material because it's more compact.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-03-21 23:53:32

Hi everyone.
I just want to tell you guys that there is a review of Light Locator on Blind Cool Tech. The Website is:
www.blindcooltech.com
Game Man

Game Man

2006-03-22 00:42:04

cool, we will put it in our trailors and reviews page!

2006-03-22 08:18:04

Thanks Cx2, i certainly remember the bit about radioactive particals causing cell mutations (leading to cansa), and I remember the stuff about the three types (I wish I could remember precisely which atomic particals each type involves).

I didn't realize that stuff reguarding the skin though, or ionization, thanks for that, it'll come in handy if the world situation ever goes very! wrong.

I'll check out the review of light location, but right now I'd really like to go and play light cars.
By for now.

2006-03-22 10:21:18

Alpha is helium nucleus, two proton and two neutron. I can't remember beta, maybe electron? And gamma is a more a ray than a particle in case it helps.

cx2
-----