2006-02-23 19:05:01

hey all,
all of you that sed asking for ideas is a good thing to do, are 100 percent right,my point was that someone that wants to start developing games,should have a bunch of ideas to start with, use your fantazy mike,then the coding will be just a technical thing you'll have no problem to do if you spend time learning and doing research
thanks
regards
yakir

2006-02-23 19:50:37

look, mike, if i can help you, i would here. if i find a good free host, or something that is cheap, (i am sure a dollar/pound will be ok), then you might be able to get something worthwhile.
what's more, people think your website is rubbish... well i will have to say, yes and no. the reason being, is that well... look at lighttech. it has games on it. yours does not, but it says coming soon. and no description for "shade of doom". i really dont want to start another argument, but really, the name "shade of doom" is a bit bad. as i said before, david will probably find out. david greenwood, that is.
but on a good note, at least you have setup a web site! which means, you are trying! which is great!

2006-02-23 20:59:35

Thanks for your help, but Munawar already gave me some webspace so I don't need a host.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2006-02-27 16:50:39

first of all, i think this sentence has been said thousands of times, but i think i have to say it once more, to make others understand better, (of course i can't say better than cx2). mike is writing his first game and is not an expirienced game writer, it's just his first game. so, why not giving some suggestions and helping him is needed? guys, stop that compliments. of course they are taken and i'm sure he as everyone else, is able to get rid of it. so, let's cross our fingers. and about the suggestion:
well i think something like duckHunter is good for the first project. or, something like, a small version of dark destroyer or those shooter games, but i think blackjack or poker would be hard for you (me) to write, so, yeah yeah, i think it's good enough.

2006-02-27 23:21:35

Well at college one of the assignments we got was to write pseudo code (a design method half way between program code and english) for Bridge, including shuffling and dealing. I think if you can get your head around arrays and random number generation then blackjack should be possible without too much fuss. As it is I could quite easily write the background code, I just don't have the knowledge of direct X and sapi to make it speak or play more than a basic sound with the multimedia control. It might take a little thinking about, but wouldn't be as hard as a side scroller by a long shot.

And yes developers do need to be creative, but not to the exclusion of all else. Asking for suggestions is no different from looking for a gap in the market, you're trying to find what would be most useful to the community. Creativity comes in when you're implementing the game type, extra little things like the bouncy grenades in Quake (I mention quake because there's an audio version) and the soundscape commands in Lone Wolf. That's here creativity is most important, not the initial idea. In the mainstream there have been first person shooters that are truly inspired, or truly pathetic, the creativity of the developers determines which not the genre.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-02-27 23:45:25

ah cx2, i really hate those algorhytms (i am not sure that this said in english as well), you know when you have to write between code and english. For example you have to write down a procedure.
Try to imagine this:
Turbo pascal code, with hungarian words, in a text editor.
And it is so anoying that you cant use objects in pascal, yeah i know you nearly can, but it is not as easy as in vb, and yes, i know that it is quite old language, and it is mainly for teaching and practicing the feel of programming, but i hate it.
Vb is not really new, especialy since microsoft doesnt suport it any more, but still better for audiogames than pascal.
So, if someone would like to learn it, i can say, it is good for beginning, but after a while, especially when you know a higher structured programming language, then it is anoying.
Oh, and why i have to learn it, still? Ask my teachers, lol.
Best regards,
Robjoy

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-02-28 00:31:41

Robjoy, The first language I learned was BASIC, followed by Pascal, then FORTRAN!. My college professor had us alphabetizing lists in FORTRAN... talk about a waste, the strength of the language was formulae, not alpha. Anyway, it was "supposed" to make us think I guess. Oh, the word you wanted was "algorithm".

2006-02-28 06:37:59

lol, I started in QBasic in DOS and then we spent some time in VB. In the second year we were supposed to do Java, but the guy left mid year (there were lots of issues with that guy) and the new guy taught us C++ instead. I find now that even when I'm writing for VB I think in terms of C++ far more easily. I didn't complain because the Java app we were using wasn't accessible.

The biggest pig of them all imho is perl, really silly. You can do enough with it, it's just a real nuisance.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-02-28 23:17:56 (edited by robjoy 2006-02-28 23:19:25)

hmm, in this school they even didnt know that a windows programming ide or compiler exists, which is accessible with jfw.
And then, sometimes when yakir asked about language suggestions here, he told me that i should learn visual basic, it is really cool.
Well, and now here i am , i dont say that i know every part of vb, but for daily use, i know it (oh and of course for game programming smile).
The teachers just let me give in the programming exams in a programing language, which i can choose, so vb came just in time.
Bavisoft, thanks for the word, i use it in hungarian like that form as well, but i didnt know that in english means the same, and if i am not sure about something then i wont say it, khm, khm smile
Anyways, i forgot about that freedom chat transcript mike (arjan knows what i am talking about), and wish you a good start.

Best regards,
Robjoy

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-02-28 23:36:49

The ladies love a man who knows all his perl search patterns.  Search me baby, search me..."
I'm tired.
They (borland) made a windows version of pascal.  It's called delphi, but only those who have made it to the 'advanced computer wizard' skill level may spel it correctly.  I actually liked pascal - I wasn't raised with OOP in my blood (I learned Jaws Scripting first) and while classes and the like are interesting I don't need them to survive.  Thus I liked pascal, I just never bothered to learn it since I don't have delphi and CodeWarrior stopped supporting it.

James

2006-03-02 21:43:25

The ladies love a man who knows all his perl search patterns.  Search me baby, search me..."

lol what does it have to do with programming thing?
*confused*

2006-03-03 01:23:23

If you learn how to write search paterns in perl the ladies (or fellas) will love you because people find it difficult and anoying.

James

2006-03-03 03:18:39

Assuming they know what they are, and what Perl is tongue

cx2
-----

2006-03-04 20:35:13

heh, good point wink