2018-12-25 12:26:23

Hey there.
I just ordered my pi, I made a card with the Jenux installer for it and I am thinking of controling it via my windows laptop, or my android phone.
And now, my question is, does an accesible and simple method for that exist?
If it is not accesible out of the box, can you tell me what to do please?
And the last question, what can I do with this pi?
I have a keyboard if needed, a touch screen case, a hdmi cable and what ever comes with a complete kit.
Thanks in advance and best regards.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-12-25 13:16:21

Hello, if you're using windows 10, linux subsystem is the way to go. I use that all the time for ssh into other servers. Another option is sigwin, but I don't use that at all. HTH.

Jonathan Candler, A.K.A, Jonnyboy

2018-12-25 14:14:49

Windows 10 comes with an SSH client, more or less. You need to install it by following these steps, and after doing this you can just go into your run dialog and type in

ssh <pi address>

and you'll be connected. On older versions of Windows, look for a program called PuTTY, which is by far the most commonly used on Windows. Both the built-in SSH client and PuTTY are accessible with NVDA. With Narrator or JAWS the built-in client will read much better.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2018-12-25 14:31:04

I myself use teraterm for that, but win 10 ssh client and putty work also very well.
You can do many things with your pi, such as different electronics stuff and low powered home servers. I myself have experimented with the latter ones. I have two usb harddrives attached to it and OpenVPN installed, so I can access my files everywhere. I also used to run a web and icecast server on it.

2018-12-25 16:48:46

First, thanks to all, I will try the built in SSH client for win 10.
Second, my pi is a 3 model B plus and comes with NEOBS, but I have my own 64 gig sd card, so...
I will use it for servers like a TT one, along with a small website and if I will get another sd card, I will install android and use that touch case I ordered.
And, how to get the address of it?
Last, do I really need an ethernet cable, or can I just connect to wifi?
I have alot of cables here, except an ethernet one.

2018-12-25 23:51:49 (edited by FamilyMario 2018-12-26 00:00:57)

Hi.
I use my Raspberry Pi all the time.
You can either use Wi-Fi or Ethernet, it's up to you. As for SSH, I use PuTTY.
Just a heads up though, when you plug it in, there is no audio indication to let you know it's on.

2018-12-26 01:45:54

If you haven't already, you might also find [Raspberry VI] useful, it has a mailing list and resources for working with raspberry pi's.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-12-26 04:26:29 (edited by Chris 2018-12-26 04:28:45)

I'd recommend using an ethernet cable especially if you're going to be running a headless installation. I don't know of any good GUIs with speech. I can't figure out how to burn the Jenux image to an SD card and Raspbian doesn't have a screen reader. I think Raspbian Lite will work, but you'll need to use ethernet and enable SSH before booting for the first time. From what I've read, you have to place a file called ssh into the root of the fat32 partition of the SD card after creating it.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-12-26 11:50:55

Lol, that sounds waaaay to complicated for me.
I will try Jenux, if not, I will try something else with a screen reader.
And thanks for that mailing list, it will help me much.
I actualy found it some time ago, but I totaly forgot about it.