2018-12-15 15:24:43

Hi.

My mum has asked me what I fancy for Christmas. I've been considering an Apple watch for a while now, both for the gps idea and for keeping up with games etc when I don't have my phone kicking around.

Checking the internet, it seems the series 3 and series 4 are around. The 4 is vastly more expensive, but when I looked at Apple's blerb, most of what it said  with how good the display was on the series 4.

So, is there a reason to get the series 4? and if I did get the series 3 is one model better than another?

and what are people's experiences with the apple watch anyhow?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-12-15 15:30:04

If at all possible, I'd suggest getting the latest model. There's no telling howquickly these will become obsolete, so getting the newest one with the newest processor will ensure that you get at least a couple of years of software support from it. Heck, the original Apple Watch only had about 2 years of support before it was dropped with watchOS 5 which only runs on the 2016 and later models. If you ask me, the Apple Watch is just an expensive iPhone accessory that mirrors what you can do on your phone, but that's just my opinion.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-12-15 17:06:42

@Chris, thanks for the advice, though to be honest if I'm going to spend nearly twice the price to get a newer series version of the same thing, I want a little more bang for my buck than just the looming threat of obsolescence.

I bought an Iphone 8 this time last year, and didn't bother with the Iphone 10 for the same reason, namely that it didn't  anything that the Iphone 8 didn't.

I'm quite willing to buy a newer device, but only  I'm going to get some practical good out of doing so.

As for the watch itself, I thought the hole point was being able  to control certain aps on your phone from the apple watch giving you easier access to things like satnav technology, as well as notifications for games like land of Livia, or is there something else I'm missing?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-12-15 20:07:53 (edited by Chris 2018-12-15 20:10:25)

From what I can tell, the Watch lets you receive notifications from your paired iPhone, use apps, make and receive phone calls/messages, perform fitness tracking and other health related tasks, listen to music, etc.

My problem with the device is that it doesn't do anything earth-shatteringly different from my phone. It's not a standalone device. If you don't have an iPhone, it's a paperweight. If it's not constantly paired to an iPhone to transfer data back and forth, it becomes a paperweight. I hear the LTE model gives you a little more freedom, but it's even more expensive than the standard models and still needs to be tethered to an iPhone from time to time. It's not the fantastic wrist mounted computer I dream about, just an overpriced iPhone exclusive accessory.

Having said all that, don't let me persuade you from getting one. If you want a cheaper model, try going for the series 3 without LTE. I'd also recommend trying one before you buy so you can see if it meets your needs. If you do purchase one, make sure you can return it if you don't like the experience. I give Apple kudos for coming out with the first wearable with a screen reader, but the actual device is disappointing. Apple has decided that it's going to be an accessory that will primarily be marketed at people who do fitness and health related things.

2018-12-15 20:31:57

Honestly I don't see the point of the watch. I can answer calls, use apps, get notification, etcetera with my phone.
Also Dark, if you think your phone is really obsolete, you got another thing comin'. I'm still using an iPhone 6S, and I'm still not eligible for an upgrade. When I am, I'm gonna get a 1plus 6T.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2018-12-15 21:00:10

@zenothrax nope my phone isn't obsolete, I just made the point that I don't really see the point to get the latest whatever just because its the latest unless it actually does something interesting.

In terms of the apple watch, firstly, what exactly is the difference between the different models? I thought they were mostly like phones, with  basically the same capabilities of the same version other than things like screen size differences, EG all series 3 watches would be largely similar, all series 4 watches similar etc.

As for the capabilities, the things I really wanted were firstly better intigration with a satnav.

and secondly, to get notifications of things and be able to respond when not near my phone, since at the moment unless I'm hovering over my phone I don't always get when say land of livia has a new quest etc.

2018-12-16 21:43:35

From what I can tell, the main difference between the series 4 and 3 watch is the screen, improved processor, fall detection, and ECG support. For some dumb reason, the fall detection is disabled if it detects that your age is under 65 and must be manually enabled.

2018-12-17 04:03:39

The Apple Watch is head and shoulders over other watches though. Other talking watches, at least in my experience, tend to crap out after a year or two. Aside from getting coffee spilled on my series 1 by a jerk last year, I haven't had a problem. I would get the series 3, unless you really want those new features and a bigger screen. Granted, it may be better for the 2-finger gestures, but I just don't see the point since the series 4 is so similar to the series 3. Also, from what I read in the manual, the series 4 crown vibrates the watch when it is turned. Um, no thanks. That could get annoying really fast.

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2018-12-17 11:22:06

Thanks for the advice here.
If indeed the apple watch 4 is basically just the 3 with a bigger screen and niftier hardware, I'll probably go for the three at this point, as spending virtually double the price on the same gadget doesn't strike me as a good idea.

With Satnavs, I sort of thought the idea was that the watch would help fix your position generally? or did I miss that.

Also as one last question, if I do get the three, are the series 3 watches similar or not? Looking on amazon the main difference given is the colour, but other than that I'm not sure.

2018-12-17 19:46:38

The only hardware difference I'm aware of is the LTE model. The LTE allows you to access Internet content and phone calls when you're not tethered to the iPhone. Whether you want to pay the higher price for LTE is up to you. If you have your phone with you, it doesn't matter because the standard model will communicate with your phone via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.

As for your GPS, I don't think it really helps. None of the blindness GPS apps are available on the watch. You're probably better off buying a compatible Bluetooth GPS receiver.

2018-12-17 21:14:49

Hi.
Can't you use Handoff to use apps such as BlindSquare on your watch, or would you need an app to help with that?
Another question is how noticeable is the watch? Do a lot of people ask you about your watch?
It would be nice if I could use it for GPS, but I don't want people to stare at my watch and maybe decide that they want to take it.

Francois

2018-12-17 23:53:55 (edited by Jason SW 2018-12-17 23:57:17)

I bought my Series 4 Apple Watch last month, and I'm really enjoying it. It's much more responsive than my 1st gen Watch. I chose to go with the stainless steel model for the extra durability.
I would definitely say that you should take a look at what is available for the Apple Watch. Make sure that the apps you want to use are available for the Apple Watch.
Apple says that the Series 4 Watch has an S4 processor that is "up to 2x faster than S3". The Series 4 has slightly larger screen sizes, and has ECG functionality built in.

2018-12-18 09:21:15

As regards satnavs, the things I wanted from the watch are firstly the watches use to fix your position, which I've heard can make satnav data more accurate, and secondly the ability to listen to a satnav on  watch while walking, since I don't really want to be wandering around in public with headphones on.

other than that it would mostly be extra control of my phone when not holding it, which I admit is more a convenience thing than anything else.

As regards which version of the watch, I'm not really sure if its worth paying literally twice the price for a faster processor, and bigger screen since as far as I can determine that is really the only major difference, though if I'm missing something feel free to let me know.