2016-05-24 08:59:54 (edited by paddy 2016-05-24 09:40:03)

Hi everyone,
I am trying to create a website, testing it in XAMPP.
I however still Need an easy to handle and accessible CMS, for a multilingual website.
I am planning to use this website as an Organisation website, posting Events, having a contact form and perhaps even a Newsletter function. Any suggestions? I tried Drupal but it always gives me a Server error when I try install.php.
Does anybody here have any experiences with CMS, and what is most recommendable?

Thanks in advance.

Feel free to check my blog at
http://www.patrickdembinski.org
Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.

2016-05-24 10:02:46

I know this might not be ideal for your purposes as any non-standard custom functionality requires a bit of a learning curve, and this particular CMS tries to be as lightweight as possible by design, so it lacks some of the more advanced features of the better known mainstream CMS's, but I've developed a website with CMS Made Simple (cmsmadesimple.org) pretty quickly and easily.
This website uses a contact form, an automatically updating copyright notice, a dynamic news page where you can filter the news to display only entries from a particular category (general, social events, site updates, etc), it has a built-in search module, the capability to print the current page directly or to share it via e-mail or on Twitter, Facebook and Google Plus, and a custom made photo gallery with alt descriptions.

The things I had to do from scratch were the contact form and the gallery. There is a third party plugin called Form Builder available for this CMS which is also pretty accessible and advanced but it just didn't suit my needs. I wanted modern HTML5 elements with ARIA alerts in the form, which would be a pain to set up with the way the plugin is designed, as well as additional server-side validation in PHP in case the user either disables or works around the Javascript in their client, plus very primitive custom logging about sent messages that is stored on the server. All of this was written in pure HTML5, Javascript and PHP manually. It's very easy to insert custom pieces of PHP code, which are called tags in this CMS.

The news, search and printing modules are preincluded in the CMS core, so they only needed a bit of customization, there is an easily available RSS module in the central plugin repository which is reachable from within the admin pannel, and it's pretty easy and flexible to create your site template and CSS skin. Unfortunately, the site is in Czech only, so it would probably be useless for you to take a look at it.

The only other CMS I've had any previous experience with is WordPress but I just didn't like that one all that much. It tends to be slow and bulky, not to mention that it gets targeted with various hacks and attacks pretty much all the time because of how widely used and popular it is, and because of its relative feature complexity, it can sometimes become unnecessarily tedious to set up something small and simple through its admin interface.

Through customizing the CMS's internal config.php as well as the standard .htaccess file, you can achieve quite a lot of relatively advanced stuff, such as having the admin pannel and the contact form automatically use SSL as long as HTTPS is enabled for your webhosting, etc.

So, although my tip might not be what you are looking for, it's unfortunately the only recommendation I can provide so far. :-D

Hope this helps,
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2016-05-24 15:30:15

I have a couple in mind. First of all, are you able to use a server? If so, that opens many opportunities such as wordpress, Drupal,  and others.
Regarding your issue with drupal,  I've gotten errors but have been able to install each time. It most likely is a simple requirements problem that you could fix in a couple of seconds. I wouldn't give up on it that quickly, considering the great features you get.

2016-06-03 11:41:30

Hi,
I finally managed to get Drupal to work on my XAMPP Server. It has been successfully installed, however, I don't really know what to do next. How can I add Content? For instance, I I'd like to create a Basic page (let's say about us), with a couple of html-tags in it, plus I want a link to Show up in the main Navigation.
Also, I want to have a multilingual Website. Could you give me any clue on how to do it the best?

Thanks.

Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.

2016-06-03 18:03:12

That process differs greatly depending on the version of Drupal your using. For example in 8, you can simply install another language and that should do it. But in 7, the process isn't that easy.

2016-06-04 10:37:03

So how can I install other languages? And how to add Content so the links are been displayed in the main Navigation? I also tried the HTML text Format, but somehow, it still only Displays the text plus the HTML tags. Any clues on that?

2016-06-04 12:21:33

Can you give me the version of drupal your currently using?

2016-06-04 12:23:31

Sure, the Version I am using is Drupal 8.1

2016-06-04 20:05:23

Read this, hopefully it will help.
https://www.drupal.org/node/275705

2016-06-06 13:29:10

I am not quite familiar with Drupal, but otherwise you could use Chyrp or Wordpress, but that would be more a blogging page or Joomla would be another oppourtunity for a standard website. But if you figured out how to work with Drupal take this one.

Regards

- JoeFoeGames
Visit
YouTube, Facebook, Twitter
to be up to the latest News.

2016-06-09 14:14:54

I actually first focused on getting the actual hang of Drupal, how to properly create sites and Content, before going further adding a language. Now the Problem I am still facing is that I finally managed to create Content, but it doesn't appear. I created a Basic page called "Events" first. There, I entered a Brief description what's going on on this page. Afterwards I created a new Content type called "Event". I addressed the Content to appear on my Events page, and afterwards added the fields. It was quite Handy and after I finished creating the Content type, I tried to test it. It did appear on the General Content page in the Administration Panel when I was logged in, but it didn't appear on the actual Events page, where the Content was supposed to be.
Secondly, how can I create Content on my FrontPage, in other words, the "Home" section, where I welcome people and write some extra things? It would work with an article, but then it rather Looks like a blog post or something like this.

2018-12-12 16:59:56

The simplest platforms to use for this will be Wix, Squarespace or Weebly. You may also want to consider checking out these website builders. Personally, I’ve been a happy customer of Wix  for a number of years. There is no need for me to upgrade for a paid plan. At least yet.

2018-12-14 14:52:49

I'm curious, Doesn't wix  use drag and drop? If so, how is that accessible with NVDA/jaws? or any screen reader.

2018-12-16 00:17:26

Hi.
I recomment Wordpress. It's maded for blogging, but you can made pages and hide the blog. For example page of my hostings service has been created with WP.

Mao!
--
TD programs website available under new address.
https://tdprograms.ovh/

2018-12-16 02:47:50

I'm also planning to run a website, in that case, I will install wordpress on my server. As soon as I know how to hide the blog thingy.