2018-07-21 23:59:53

Hey folks!
I am a passionate traveler being visually handicapped (blind, to be precise). Still, it is possible to get around for me/us, although some people might doubt it. Especially after attending the ICC-Camp I have a lot of friends in several countries whom I, of course, love to visit from time to time; so traveling by myself became more and more essential for me, and it furthermore was a huge boost to my independence. Most importantly, I proofed to me and other people who did not think I was able to do this that I was able to get around, reaching my desired destination without constant company by friends, parents or hired assistants.
Per suggestion of some of my friends, I decided to share my experiences in a blog with anybody who might be interested; let it be people who are just curious about other experiences and travel stories, or let it be people who would like to learn more about how to possibly become more independent for themselves.

Feel free to check my blog at the following link:
http://www.patrickdembinski.org

Last, but not least, what are your personal experiences so far? Have you ever been traveling around for yourself, either inside your home country or abroad? Feel free to share your own stories and if you are curious about something, feel free to ask; but I need to tell you in first place that I have never been traveling outside Europe by myself yet, so if there are any country-specific questions for non-European countries or let's just say countries I have just never been to myself, I'm afraid I cannot help you. However, as this is a huge community, I'm sure that somebody else here is able to help with suggestions, as I believe I am not the only one who enjoys traveling; so don't hesitate to ask and discuss anyway, I am also happy to learn from your experiences!

Cheers!

Feel free to check my blog at
Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.

2018-07-22 00:12:18

I've been to Mexico, Costa rica, Colorado and Arkansas. I'm from Pennsylvania in the united states. And pretty soon I'll probably be traveling to South Dakota. I found cheap tickets on the cheapoair website. just google search cheapoair. Traveling, for me, has always been fun. It's even more fun now that I can use my android smartPhone to look up things to do when I am in a new place.

2018-07-22 13:02:49

Hi,
I love travelling too, in fact, I am on a trip now in Dubai, last week I was in Turkey and came to Dubai this week.
I love to travel alone, and yes I am traveling alone now, I do it all the time, not outside the GCC though tbh.
When I was in Turkey last week I had my family with me, but now I am alone.
Trust me, traveling alone teaches you a lot, not just regarding the country you're visiting, but it also makes you depend on your self even more.
I just love it, it's so amazing.
I also believe that the good people are way more than the bad people, so if you need any help, there is a very big chance that the person you're asking will help you.
I've made some friends this way, people I have never thought that I'd be friend with them.
For those who want to do it or wish to do it but they can't, be sure that you can do it, just like me and the op, and many others.
Surely your passport allows you to visit lots of countries with out even getting a visa, or it'll be visa on arrival at least.
What I advice though is for you to read about the country you're visiting, about the people in there, how helpful they are, even though after you read about that, just know that there are good people everywhere.
I advice this because in the end, you are blind, and when you go to a country, you will deal with the people there more than anything else.
Also you should read about the safety as well, how safe is the place you're going to, etc etc etc.
I am not sure what to advice for those who didn't travel on their own before, only that you need to leave your house more, try to go and explore your city more, and then go to a nearby city etc, just start little by little.
Again I am not sure if this is a good advice, one might just jump in and grab a ticket to anywhere and it would work.
One more thing, even though I said people are helpful, just in case, be prepared for everything, and make sure that you can get your self out of weird Situations.
I don't have a good real example right now, but what I want to say is you need to be a good thinker, so if you fall in a case where you need to take an Immediate decision, you can do it fast.
lol, I am not sure if I am making it easier for people or not, but really, everyone can do it, if they have the Motivation for traveling like I do.

2018-07-22 15:27:05

This looks interesting and I am happy to read that so many of us travel around. I myself travel too and like it a lot. I am curious though in practical terms which preparation and apps etc you guys use to make travelling easier and more independant? I myself use lazerillo a lot in regards to travel to specific gps locations and the like the app from flixbus a lot. Furthermore, I just found an app which gives me the time tables and allows me to book tickets for italian trains.
So lets share tips and enjoy travelling even more!

2018-09-24 23:58:08

Hey there, and my appologies for not posting anything here eversince I started this topic.
But here I am, back to live here, and I hope to be around more frequently again! smile

@MasterChief, your tips listed above - thinking out of my perspective - exactly described my first steps before I have become as independent as I am now; this is a good tutorial to get started.

Concerning good and bad people, I indeed met a lot more good people than bad people on my journeys so far, let it be independent or with company. Especially in countries like the Netherlands and Sweden, people happened to be really friendly, somehow knew in advance how to help you without first asking what's wrong. Of course, should I need help and nobody realizes, I ask anyway, or what do I have a mouth for except for eating and drinking? big_smile
Still, I found it just more than astonishing the way people came up to me, starting to help before I even saw the problem myself.

As for traveling in general, I love to travel by train, because at least in the countries I've been so far, it was the least stressful way of traveling, because I booked assistance to change trains in advance and everything is, more or less, organized. Sure it can happen that the assistance, due to whatever reason, doesn't pick you up, but at least for me, it happens rather rarely.
Eitherway, I recently went from my hotel in Stockholm to the city terminal by Uber car in order to take the bus to Arlanda airport. Honestly, I first really thought about spending at least 20 Euros more to get to the airport directly by Uber car, so the driver could drop me off at the check-in counter. However, the trip to Arlanda was smoother than expected and, thanks to other passengers, I also made it to a service desk and caught my flight.
Plus, I recently took advantage of a direct Flixbus connection from Amsterdam Sloterdijk to Marburg, although I tried anything to avoid long distance busses in the past, because I was a little afraid that I might get lost finding or changing the bus and find myself stuck somewhere.

Weird situations can happen anywhere, no matter how you choose to travel and it is probably impossible to avoid them. However, a lesson that I personally learned from weird experiences I had: The more weird situations you encounter and the more often you were able to get the issue solved and eventually arrive home safe and sound, the more confident you are trying out something new.

At the end of this week, I will travel via Brussels to London and got in touch with someone on Couchsurfing, who offered me to host me for the time I am there. I already tried Couchsurfing a couple of times before and no, I didn't know the people I was gonna stay with, and so didn't they; but I met some of the most awesome people I ever met!

But, as MasterChief already said, start little by little and from time to time, you will get more confidence to get around independently.

Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.

2018-09-25 00:58:25

I'd like to find ways to travel to/from less urban areas. There's a lake/forest/park forming the southeast boundary of town. It's a good 4 miles (6.5km) from the nearest bus-stop. Now, what if, instead of going there, I want to go to the mountains that ^are about 200mi / 320km away? Do they even have Uber out there?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-11-30 12:25:19

I presume that if you'd like to travel into the mountains on your own, it might indeed be a little more of an effort. If they have Uber in your town, you could at least get from your placce to the place of your desire; but I haven't traveled 320km with Uber yet. I think it could well be more difficult to find a driver in any case, but it is worth a try, but I presume it is expensive though.
However, a 6.5km Uber ride from the train or bus station would more likely work. If they don't have Uber in this kind of area, I'd try to consult a normal cab if it is not too expensive.

In best case, you find some sighted people with whom you could possible travel with but of course this is not always the case.

2018-12-15 15:25:30 (edited by Kautilya 2018-12-15 16:29:29)

Good to hear about your travel experiences as a blind. Like you, I also love to travel alone and explore new places smile . Here are couple of travel hacks of mine:

• If i'm traveling in a public transport that does not have a facility of announcing station's name then I use Google Maps Driving feature on my phone. After boarding the vehicle I set my destination to the place where I have to get down. Then I constantly monitor the distance. As I realise that my place is approaching then I ask the driver to stop the vehicle.

• While using the cabs like Uber I think, there should not be any embarresment to ask driver to assist you.

• Main component of my travel checklist is my white cane. This is understandable I guess.

• I always do a thorrow research on the internet about the place that I'm going to visit.

• Sometimes, I ask my co-passenger for some assistance as reaching out to others is not so easy.

• And yes and a final one, I always keep a good pear of headphones to keep myself busy!

I do hope that we will meet some day and travel together!
Thanks

2018-12-15 16:32:42

Oh, after checking your post once again, I forgot to mention that I never been to a foreign country. I travel within my country so far.

2018-12-15 20:59:52

Travelling has forever been my passion, yet I had yet to make it shine because of the trapped I've been placed in these two decades of wasted life. I'm more free now, but still can't do it because of busy university, mental complications (dying passion from depression for the most part), and stigmatized social problems. I pray for you who can already fulfill my dream to carry on. If I'm not dead some day in the future, I may be able to do it too.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2018-12-16 00:14:59

I am getting my new cane in 2 days, I have never used a cane before.
I am looking  forward to using it in my next trip on the 26th to Egypt, So if you guys have any tips for using it it would be really appreciated if you can share some.
Well technically the first time I would be using it it would be either on uni next Sunday, or if I went somewhere before that, but I am talking about heavy use.

2018-12-25 08:46:35

I recommend this White Cane guide.

2018-12-25 21:06:49

I am very optimistic about going to the Netherlands with my wife soon. Someone you know on this forum is actually going to fly my wife and I to visit him for a while. I think it's going to be awesome!

2018-12-31 18:52:00

Curious, have any of you ever traveled alone completely as a tourist, without knowing anyone at your destination? As in, just to experience a different country, not for any particular purpose other than as a vacation. If so, what kinds of things have you done?
Just curious, because many of the more touristy attractions don't seem like they'd be particularly accessible (or particularly fun even if you could make them work) as a blind person. Like, I'm sure you could walk through the Uffizi, but how much would you really get out of it with no sight. And unless private tours are financially viable for you, how could you safely participate in tours without being accidentally  abandoned in some random area in a foreign country where you don't speak the language and can't sign at people?
Don't get me wrong, I've traveled  independently before, I've just always either met up with friends at my destination or had been traveling to atend a particular event.

2019-01-01 08:34:21

I wandered around in Indianapolis for a few days by myself once? I agree that most popular tourist attractions are easily replaced by a 3d video, for which audio would be omitted because it contributes nothing to the experience.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2020-07-04 19:01:37

I like traveling, but I have been only to Egypt, Greece and Turkey (it is pretty expensive for me to go on a trip often). I had to cancel my trip to Oman in late July. I dreamt of this vacation, but honestly, I'm afraid of being infected and bringing the virus home. Of course, my visa validity will expire (I got evisa on https://evisa.express and it is valid only for one month) and I lost 138 Euro because of that, but it is safer at home. I do hope I will be able to visit this beautiful country next year. Has anyone been to Oman?