2018-12-13 15:42:54

Hi guys,

I never dealing with EPUB before, and I come here to asking you guys for a recommendation on accessible apps to read an EPUB file on the PC.

Thanks.

2018-12-13 17:22:49

I usually use adobe digital edition, and it's fully accesible, and the software is free

good day
togira
sorry for my bad english

2018-12-13 20:37:16

Adobe Digital Editions is good provided you're using NVDA or an older version of jaws. I think from around v15 jaws started having this bug where it announces the last line of every page twice and skips the first line of the next page. For some reason FS won't fix it. Got sick of telling them about it. I now use QRead, which is specifically designed for screen readers, and works very well. It just means you'll need a DRM stripper if you want to read any copy protected material.

2018-12-14 03:12:28

I don't have much money to get my hands on QRead at the moment, I'll have a look on Adobe Digital edition. Thanks for your recommendations though.

2018-12-14 07:12:05

You can also read epub files in microsoft edge.

I myself use EdSharp because it can convert to various formats, provided you have calibre installed.

The setup will prompt you during the install so no need to go looking for it.

I only wish EdSharp was kept up to date.

Anyway, here's the link.

https://github.com/EmpowermentZone/EdSharp

2018-12-14 07:22:55

I use QRead myself (though more than not I end up converting them to HTML).

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-12-14 09:20:24

@kool_turk, thanks for the link.

@Ethin, Converting a book to HTML would be great. Might I know which software you use to convert them?

2018-12-14 10:30:10

@7, I use Calibre's ebook-convert command-line tool to do the work. You use it like so:
ebook-convert "book.epub" .htmlz
That creates book.htmlz. That's just a zip file containing HTML files. Extract that using "Extract to <dir>\" and you'll be good to go. I've done that method and have acquired over 200 books with that method -- it works beautifully. Of course, I still have the EPUBs around. For DRM removal (yes, I do do that, DRM is fucked for things like books), I use Epubar Ultimate, which, while i uses QT, is a very good little tool to thumb your nose at the DRM-ists like Amazon Kindle books.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-12-14 10:50:05

Thanks

2018-12-14 19:44:34

i'm using balabolka, this is a good books fb2 and Epub reader but you can read books only by using sapi voices.

let's rock!

2018-12-15 09:43:35

I've known it, but haven't tried with EPUB. Thanks for your suggestion though.

2018-12-15 11:34:21

Balabolka is seriously broken. Of course, one of those is having to use SAPI (I doubt anyone would enjoy that, especially if you've opened programming books or books with other symbols SAPI doesn't catch).

My Github

2018-12-15 12:22:01 (edited by Socheat 2018-12-15 12:22:26)

Yeah, the books that I would read are programming books. So if I use the app that reading with Sapi, I'm screwed.