2018-12-08 02:44:42

Hello guys!
Java is a good language for creating audiogams?

2018-12-08 03:10:08

I... honestly don't know. I don't know of any "kits" for audio games in Java. Though you could make one, if so inclined.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-12-08 07:26:06

That question is...Well, a bit...Well, complicated. You're not likely to find a dedicated audiogame library per say, though a good game library would be helpful. Allegro or something like that. Also, if the audio section of whatever game library you pick isn't up to par with what you need, you'll need to go grab a new audio library. I found this code ranch article that might offer some insights, but otherwise you may have to poke around. Sorry, I haven't had the opportunity to use java for a while. Which makes me sort of sad as that was the first programming language that I could have at any point called myself proficient with. Anyways, pull together the necessary resources, and yes. You can make an audiogame in Java. Is it good for it, depends on your needs.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2018-12-08 11:17:45

Things that convinced me to stop developing games in Java:
- Redistribution. Windows seems to randomly decide to change the capitalization in filenames inside jar files, or something like that. IIRC, at least 1/3 of people couldn't get my java games to launch, and all my research couldn't find any other explanation. Yes, even after trying to wrap it in an exe.
- I was using javax.sound. Apparently it was depricated and nobody told me, since when I tried running my java games on win 8 64bit, they crashed because the mixer didn't support stereo. (Seriously, why did people suddenly revert to writing software whose features include "play" and "stop", and sometimes not even "stop"? In the 21st century?)

There are other sound libs that might not be sufficient ass-pains to ignore, but the redistribution thing was bad enough that I spent a few days porting it all to BGT. ... Well, almost all. There were a few I didn't port for IP reasons, of a sort. Kinda odd when I say it like that, considering 3/4 are "transformative works".

So if you can solve the redist problem, sure, have at it.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-12-08 18:16:42

Well. Capital Letters is almost a requirement in java anyway...

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2018-12-08 22:25:05

Personally  I agree
with post 4, also i see java is  some  how slow and complicated.

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2018-12-08 22:54:39

Its not slow, per see, though it is a memory hog.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-12-09 17:16:20

God. No java, Please! Specially if that's going to be packed in .jar files because first, As C A E Jones said not everyone has the requirements to run those, second, Java can be decompiled seriously easy. I don't know if there's a way to encrypt it to decrease the probability of decompilation. C# can be decompiled easy too but i still prefer using C# instead of java since there's for sure dot net installed on a gamer's computer, And the file is an executable, not a package

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2018-12-09 18:33:22

hi,
i don't recommend it as well.
regardless of things being said, java is used extensively on android, not on windows.
if you want to write audio games, python is your choice (even you can use .net runtime on it).

2018-12-10 02:05:59

Hello guys!
I was thinking about these issues also, and maybe I really don't develope audiogames for the pc using java.
The problem of python, for me, the indentation.
I hate indentation!

2018-12-10 02:23:36

You have to live with it. And java isn't bad; just because its majorly used by Android in no way means its a bad language for developing games. Just wanted to clear that misconception up.

My Github

2018-12-10 05:28:26

i didn't say it is bad since it is for android, i've said if you want to use java, use it for development on android.

2018-12-10 06:32:22

Indeed. Java does shine best with android. At least as far as common devices used for games go, anyways. As for languages that don't have indenting, you could try anything in the c family. That being C, C++, or C#. Actually, if you want something that's java-like, but not java, then I would recommend C#. It's more gaming oriented, anyways, though, admittedly, that might be only because of unity. You could also try c or c++. The only issue is that those languages require either more math, or more trying to figure out what the language's doing respectively. C is meant to model computer memory, and C++ is just complex. At least, it's my personal opinion that C++ is more complicated then C, but that's a bit too off topic. In conclusion, I'd recommend C# if you want to go this route. Or you could try java, though, you might be spending more time trying to make sure everything runs correctly, and set up with Java is just annoying in its own right.

I have a website now.

2018-12-10 13:27:25

Hello guys!
Thanks for the sugestion.
Which one do I use?

2018-12-10 14:57:36

Well, what are you wanting to do specifically. What platforms do you want to work for? What languages do you have experience with? That sort of thing. Just first you need to figure out what you're expecting out of the language.

I have a website now.

2018-12-11 01:52:17

Hello guys!
I'm still looking for some language for personal work.
In the class I use java, but given that the ddesenvolvimento of audiogames for pc has some problems as pointed out above, I exclude this possibility.
An idea that I could try is the c# language, as said in post 13.
So which ide should I use to program in this language?
As said above, I'm still looking for a language that works well with the development of audiogames, and that has the support of new technologies, already that it doesn't help I use a language-of-date.

2018-12-11 04:25:12

Java isn't out-of-date at all. If your going to use C# your definitely going to need visual studio with the C# workload as well as the latest .NET runtime and libraries.

My Github

2018-12-11 13:27:23

What I said about outdated is bgt, for example.
The problem with java, as stated above, is that there is no way to run the game without the java runtime enviromment, the inability to create .exe files, and easy decompilation of the code.

2018-12-11 15:28:04 (edited by JessicaGG 2018-12-11 15:31:39)

Well, you can obfuscate the code creating *which is actually really good( and since java 9, you have been able to strip the jvm down so much from the normal 250 ish mb to around 10/15mb for the smallest jvm.
The reason why I'm not (and wouldn't recommend) Java for any audio game development is because of it's extremely limited audio support. Either you need to use a mature game engine, that locks you into a set coding style or else you only really have the java default sound package.
If enough interest persist, I could properly make an audio lib for Java but mah....

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2018-12-15 00:07:39

Hello guys!
How would I do so that screen readers speak the content displayed? Those who wanted to use would have to enable the java access bridge, or ha some other way?

2018-12-15 03:29:56

The java access bridge no longer functions properly with NVDA, and it won't until NVDA decides to get off of their lazy asses and begin releasing 64-bit builds.

My Github

2018-12-15 05:01:46

I do believe Tolk does have a java version. I just checked the zip I have of Tolk, and it indeed does have a java version. You'll need the files in the src/java folder, and the tolk.jar file. Maybe something else as well, I don't remember.

I have a website now.

2018-12-15 11:16:17

Oracle did great mistake when they decided to get rid of 32-bit builds since Java9. There are still lots of people on 32-bit systems. That's also the reason why Java Access Bridge isn't working properly with NVDA in 32-bit JVMs.
P.s., I'm using Java currently for Android development mostly at work, but I wanna switch to Kotlin really, mostly because of null-safety, data classes, function extensions and default function parameters. Java has none of these features, which makes even some simple tasks too much verbose to code in Java. Kotlin can now be even compiled as a native application with no need for any runtimes, but the bad thing is that there are not that many libraries for Kotlin-native, since Kotlin is still a pretty young language.

2018-12-15 11:32:03

@23, no, it wasn't a "horrible mistake" at all. The fact is, its NVDA and NVAccess's fault; if they actually would release 64-bit builds of NVDA instead of sticking to 32-bit for "portability reasons" (which is no excuse since they can release 32-bit and 64-bit builds of the product and be perfectly fine, like so many other projects and companies do -- even the smallest ones), this wouldn't be an issue.

My Github

2018-12-16 04:17:17

I'm not sure if even that NVDA has an exclusive version for 64-bit, the access bridge would work.
At home and in my course I'm using the jdk 7 32-bit, and even with new versions of java and the jaws 64 bit, it does not read anything when I took the test.