2018-12-07 08:48:41

Well guys. I just bought this CD player from amazon. And yes you read this correct. LOL https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Per … +cd+player I have had it for a week and so far it is very awesome!!!!! Very easy to use and it has very good audio. I actually bought 2 $30 cd players from amazon last year and both had a digital hiss behind them but I did not return because I figured I'd just use them and deal with it. So this CD player is well worth the $74. I have always loved CDS and missed putting on a CD and listening to it. I went to a thrift store and picked up a few bags of CDS.  I actually have blank cds from about 10 years ago or so. LOL

2018-12-07 10:33:13

I can't say I spin them very often. Although quite often I buy cds from the merch stand at the gigs by different performers in order to support them. Sometimes I also ask an autograph on their album. Although I do not see their signatures, it is just cool to know I have them.
But afterwards I rip them into my computer and on the shelf they usually go.

2018-12-07 11:03:06

the crazy thing, especially about Amazon, is that cds are sometimes cheaper than buying mp3 albums especially if you buy pre-owned ones. The same is true of dvds. Since I categorically refuse  to go on the stupid rental system known as streaming and want to actually own what I buy, this makes sense to me.

So yes, I still buy cds, albeit not with any sort of regularity. I also listen to them on a cd player occasionally when upstairs since my computer with its digital collection is downstairs, though I do confess I don't do this as often since handling a digital collection is just easier.

Still its comforting to know I have the hard backups for at least half of my music just in case we had a miner disaster, and I do have a few rather pretty collector's set boxes which are nice, including the original release of the Japanese ff7 soundtrack from 1997 which was literally the first CD I ever bought.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-12-07 15:14:03

I buy cds and then rip them. I've got a cd player in the lounge though. I think my collection is quite unique. Apart from a lot of the usual cds my Dad has (as in, music by various bands), which are part of the digital library too, I like collecting theme park music but I think I'm nearing the end of that collection now. I've collected most things from the company called Imascore, so stuff like Toverland in Holland, and Heide Park Resort Germany, from their online store. I also own a cd from Efteling that some friends got for me. My latest thing is I've started to collect game soundtracks. I have Elder Scrolls Skyrim, Tekken 7 Collector's soundtrack which is a promo, SoulCalibur V collectors again more of a promo, and finally, the one I'm most proud about, Super Mario Odyssey original soundtrack from Japan, the 4 disc edition. I have asked for a couple of game soundtracks for Christmas as well, so if all goes well I should be up to 6 by Christmas.
I also have the Walt Disney Records Legacy Collection books/cds, these are really quite nice and are cheaper than digital. You get the first cd with the score on it (the complete score nevertheless, from the various films), and the second CD contains demos of songs and also sometimes songs that didn't make it. The books also have liner notes. I don't remember the exact number I've got, but I think it might be around 8 of those. We've set up a special shelf for them.

2018-12-07 21:18:13

Optical media is inferior! The only reason I'd consider hanging onto DVDs is for booting operating systems oncomputers that can't boot via USB.

Digital media is better in every way. I don't have to lug around cases and cases of disks. I don't have to worry about my content being damaged or unplayable if the disk gets scratched up which is very easy to do.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-12-07 22:43:29

I find that CDS sound better than a computer any day. I can't wait to connect my M50X studio headphones to this CD player and see how it sounds.  Man I would love to have the FF 7 soundtrack on CD. I bet that sounds amazing.

2018-12-09 02:14:47

The only physical media I pay attention to is vinyl. Even when I was a kid, and CD's were in their heyday, I didn't much care for them. They can be very easily scratched or broken, especially if you're a kid and you don't really take care of your stuff that well. There were a few times when I'd open my backpack to look for something, only to find broken pieces of some disk or other that had fallen down and gotten crushed by my textbooks or whatever else I was carrying. Later, I bought one of those large books that could hold 200 CD's. I cared far more about lugging that back and forth to school than anything I needed to study. But still the problem with CD's being so fragile persisted. At one point, I took my portable CD player to the beach with me. It got sand in it somehow, and because the sand was lodged inside the actual mechanism that reads the disks, a whole bunch of my CD's got scratched and utterly destroyed. I didn't make the connection until days, if not weeks later, so by that point I'd already subjected half my collection to that. Say what you will about vinyl, but one of the things that appeals to me about it, despite what many people say to the contrary, is that it's more durable in the sense that a few scratches here and there can, and will, effect the quality of the sound, but they won't cause the whole album to become unusable. That usually doesn't happen unless a cat jumps on your turntable or something and causes your record to get scratched all to hell. I've seen a few like that, and it ain't pretty, but even still, the whole thing isn't usually ruined.

Also, since I was a 90's kid, in addition to being a weird blind kid, I had tapes galore. Even when I grew out of that awkward, incessant phase of recording everything around me, I created mixtapes well into my teenage years. I often preferred to listen to them instead of my CD's, even though it was those which I used to record the tapes in the first place. While I still much prefer vinyl as my favorite analog medium for listening to music, since tapes suffer from plenty of problems themselves, I'd still say they're better than CD's any day.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-12-09 07:43:06

I've personally never had a problem with playing from a computer, then again I always do highest quality bit rate rips of cds and don't bother with all the spacee saving stuff.
I have noticed a base difference with standard mp3 as compared to the wav files on a cd, but its never really something that bothers me much since most things I tend to listen to firstly aren't exactly too basy, and secondly always come through either very good headphones or very good speakers, and of course if you are that bothered there is always ripping in flak or wav directly (although that takes up mammoth amounts of space).

Dvds I do still buy, firstly because the amount of dvds I get isn't huge, so its not as much an issue, and secondly because video files take up so much more space, also as I said I am not going to  pay to rent something I should by rights own just to make some company richer.

I've never really had issues with the cd scratching thing, then again when I own cds or dvds I am always very careful with where I put them. They are either in the case or in the player, and I'd never be interested in any storage method that didn't require a case.

@Aaron: cool on the collections, I have several of the disneys digitally and my lady and I play them often, as well as a collection of game music, though admitedly the only game music I have as physical cds are Xenogears, and Final fantasy 7 and 8.

The ff7 soundtrack is indeed awesome, though for final fantasy games I actually think 8 had better music.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-12-12 11:27:52

I had this device capable of Playing both CDS and tapes when I was a kid. Had a bag full of CDS, plus a large number of cassette tapes. Stopped using them after I bought my first laptop. These days I only listen to classical piano pieces on the cassette player(I love how It feels), and use cds for computers which don't boot up from usb

:)