2018-12-05 23:15:48 (edited by pauliyobo 2018-12-05 23:50:09)

Hi there.
The title is self explanatory.
I'm curious which ideas will you guys take in big_smile.

Paul

2018-12-05 23:38:26

Uh... actually, not that clear even from the thread title. Could you explain please?

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-12-05 23:45:22

Was just curious if you guys had any arcade games ideas in mind, and if you did to describe them.

Paul

2018-12-06 00:31:17

Are you looking for something to play or to make?

2018-12-06 07:25:26

Possibly to make but that isn't certain.

Paul

2018-12-06 08:06:31

Well there are lots of old classics from the Atari days that never got audio remakes and really should've done.
One which would be awesome would be adapting closed arena shooters like Berzerk, robotron or Smash tv.
To explain you played a character in a top down view and could move up down left or right and shoot in the corresponding directions.
The games were,  like the name says, played in an enclosed arena into which various enemies came and your job was to blast them.

Berzerk also had electrifying walls that you could run into and a limited number of evil robots on each level to slay (plus the dreaded evil otto), whilst robotron and smash tv had you in an open but enclosed arena into which literally hoards of enemies would come. Smash tv also featured collectable weapons, shields and power ups.

We've already got a well maintained system for showing objects in audio top down view, look at crazy party, with pitch used to show relative position above/below, and left right sterrio to show left right targeting. All you'd need ontop of that would be a weapon to shoot in whatever direction, though obviously to make matters fair your range of detection of enemies would need to be greater than your shot range, the sounds would also need to be fairly precise so that you could accurately  a number of enemies in audio position, but I don't think it would be impossible.
Heck, you could even include the good old smash tv style strafing and circling tactics by having different keys to shoot in each of the four directions as opposed to the keys to move, EG cursors to move, and a s d w to shoot left, down, right and up.

These aren't the only arcade classics from Atari that likely would make good audio remakes, but really when you consider how many space invaders games we have the number of audio arcade titles of other genres around is actually comparatively small.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-12-06 11:28:56

well i have an idea and you know what it is, but you can write it here if you want to let everyone know. big_smile

2018-12-06 12:48:51

I always wanted an audio version of gauntlet. Can't think of anything that comes close. Gauntlet is a multi player real time dungeon crawler played from a top down perspective. It was fantasy themee and you, either alone or with friends would fight in real time through hoards of enemies in a randomly generated maze, collecting loot and keys to unlock doors to progress til you found an exit. The hoards would keep coming til you destroyed a generator for a specific area. The first game released in the arcade during the 80s was a revolutionary experience, and up to 4 people at a time could play for hours and hours because it never seemed to end. Later games introduced lots of lore into the series and character progression elements like levelups and better gear into the gameplay.

Now that I think about it, there was a first person dungeon crawler that almost captured the experience but was too slow and single player. It was always so much fun to watch my brother and cousins play, and sometimes I would play with them too and they would tell me where to go, and sometimes I would accidentally shoot the food which would destroy it. I just wish there was a fun fantasy co-op audiogame that could recapture the experience. If I were suddenly a genious at coding, I'd make something like this in a heartbeatt for everyone and their friends to play together either locally or globally.

2018-12-06 13:25:39

at 8, I'd say that this game sounds interesting. How big would the map be?

Paul

2018-12-06 13:37:26

Gauntlet would rock, but I've really always thought of it as more an action/adventure with rpg elements than strictly an arcade game myself.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-12-06 14:40:19

On terms of gameplay dark has it right, but it first appeared in arcades before being ported to nes, and I guess what gave it that arcady feel was 1: its brutal ifficulty designed to eat all your money, 2, its simple controls so you didn't have to look at a manual for 10 minutes to learn how to play. You literally had 2 buttons apart from the joystick, one to attack and another to take. Later games added a third for special abilities, and consumables were used on the spot so you couldn't hoard them for later. The third reason why it felt arcady was because if you were playing a solo game, someone could drop right in to play with you in the middle of your game and they'd be right there with you too. It was common for arcade games to have a scoring system so undoubtedly gauntlet had one too.

As for the map size, I'm goint to guess each maze had somewhere between 10 to 20 rooms. Its hard to say. Sometimes it took us 30 seconds to find an exit, other times 5 to 10 minutes, the latter being only in the later levels. Future games introduced an overworld that you had to travel on to get to a dungeon that might take 20 to 40 minutes to complete, and I think those were fixed dungeons with traps, obsticles and light puzzle elements to the challenge.