2018-10-05 09:18:00 (edited by Draq 2018-10-05 09:25:56)

@dark: all I know about Skype 8 and MVDA is that Doug Lee wrote an NVDA addon for it. It can be found along with the JAWS scripts at dlee.org/skype.

@sochiet: Type Skype in start, find Skype trusted Microsoft Store app, hit the applications key, and choose uninstall. If all you want to do is to keep it from starting, do the same thing, except go to app settings, find the background apps button and turn it offp, then find and press the terminate button or restart the computer. You can also turn it off in settings privacy app permissions background apps.

Odly, both the UWP version and Skype 7 can run at the same time.

2018-11-30 20:31:53

and skype 7 still works today.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-11-30 21:08:09

@228, thanks god it does.

2018-11-30 22:52:10

They said they won't be forcing everyone to upgrade all at once. Skype 7 still works, but I imagine it's going to get cut off completely at some point. I'm using it until it does. Hopefully by then Skype 8 will have support for multiple chat windows, or Skype UWP will be a bit more accessible.

2018-12-01 06:43:05

I just wish they could keep the regular classic design on desktop. If they have to overhaual the code to make it easier with crossplatform, ok, fine, but the interface should be designed for each specific platform.. I'm no programmer but can't you have normal program code that runs on all different types of devices with interface differences for each OS, E.G. mobile OSs and desktop OSs? I use skype 8 on mac because 7 is butchered on Mojave, when I call people or get calls, it freezes. So I switch back and forth.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:
https://discord.gg/2duutDtGFa

2018-12-01 08:13:37

well i just found out many changes in latest skype and it is actually not that bad, and if you look at this you might get some relief. I did a call this morning along with chat and sending of files, and its all working good. Not the same, but its smooth and usable.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-12-01 10:22:21

@NevEd No. It can't behave exactly like Skype 7. Skype 8 is Electron app. It's basically just a website in app form. From what I understand, apps like that can never be as good as a native app that was designed to run on a specific operating system. At least not yet.

2018-12-01 16:57:27

I'm an ol timer, meaning that for me, an IM and VOIP app of this caliber having gone the path it did is certainly a sad senario.  Much has changed with computing over the past few years... I'll never forget that once upon a time services made everyone feel welcome by offering a separate protocol by which other third party devs could take advantage of the product to bring you your own way into an IM platform; Miranda IM from 2011 to 2014 was all I needed.  Today, AIM is gone, microsoft has pushed its own agenda with IM forward and given us an our way or the highway decision, and IM, for me, at least, is no longer the thrilling experience it once was.  Once upon a time IM's opened in their own window or their own tab; that was traditional.  Now, I suppose because it makes for a more appealing sighted experience, everything opens in one window with separate panes.  The former probably exists, but poking around the settings in this new version of skype has not yielded any obvious or immediate results.  Everything seems to be a graphical button that screen readers can mercifully read, and thankfully there is shortcut keys, else navigating would be way worse than dealing with twitter or facebooks websites on a regular basis.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-12-01 20:55:49

Skype for windows 10 insiders got split window view a bit ago, though I'm not sure if it's in the normal version now or what. I've seen no plans for putting split window view in Skype 8 so far. Whether that's due to the limits of Electron or to them focusing on other features first I'm not sure.

2018-12-02 08:54:18

It would definitely be nice if split window view came to Skype 8, I have no plans to move from using that at the moment. The only major annoyance that I see at the moment is that sometimes it kicks me out of the app, which means that I have to sign back in. I get a notification that says I've been signed out of Skype, so I have to retype my email address, and because I have 2FA enabled and the Microsoft Authenticator app on my phone, it's a simple matter of just tapping the right number in the app to sign in. But that's still unacceptable, considering it happens a few times a week, and for no reason. I've Googled the problem, and it seems to be a bug with no fix at the moment. At least it isn't as frequent as it used to be, when I first upgraded to the October update of Windows 10 when it came out, it was happening multiple times a day.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-01-29 21:49:35

So Skype 7 just stopped working here. Now what? I just tried Skype 8 and it's a complete nightmare!

2019-01-29 21:56:52 (edited by Chris 2019-01-29 21:59:05)

You either learn to live with Skype 8 or switch to another VOIP platform. I've gotten used to Skype 8. It's a piece of crap, but if you want to use Skype, you'll have to use it. It's another case of Microsoft saying "We've changed our user interface, and we're not changing it back, so you better get used to it or take a hike!" *sigh*

Alternatively, use Skype on iOS, Android, or even the Amazon Echo devices. Unfortunately, the current Echo implementation only allows for one on one calls and no text or video messaging.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-01-29 22:00:00

But it just doesn't work, I tried sending a message eight times and all that happened was me re-reading the message in the edit box without it being sent.

2019-01-29 22:04:35

here's a version of 7 that still runs but I don't know how long it will carry on working for. mine forced me to update a few weeks ago but I managed to find this one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpfpexai1vjmi … 1.exe?dl=0

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2019-01-29 22:51:29

Skype on iOS, in the recent versions, is definitely one of the most accessible apps I have on my phone. Really good work by the developers.

2019-01-30 01:56:39

I would be careful with any hacked version of Skype. I certainly don't think the person who posted that meant any ill intent, but maybe try sandboxing it first before just diving in and typing your account info. The fact that it's being hosted on Dropbox is a red flag to me, if this was something even semi-official, it would have a project website of its own.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-01-30 02:21:50 (edited by SirBadger 2019-01-30 02:22:22)

it's not hacked. I found it on a trust worthy website and it's a db link because it was the easiest way to post it.

fair comment though.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2019-01-30 04:07:26

I mean last time I checked, you couldn't even find the old skype version on MS's website anymore, so these links are all we got rite now..  I trusted it because I read a reddit thread saying that someone got that particular version of skype working but i was just too lazy at the time to get it because it was only classic skype on windows that was giving me problems.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2019-01-30 08:15:14

yeahr. Skype 7 is finaly down. Now, we can go celebrate no forks. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2019-01-31 05:24:08

Just out of curiosity, could you link to the source of this working version of Skype?

2019-01-31 06:36:35

I gave up... I don't talk to enough people on a regular basis to keep dorking with the thing.  Actually, I should probably say that not enough people talk to me, because I'm ugly as sin and less useful than dirt, old as the earth is round and I have children that always need my attention.  :d

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-01-31 06:44:00

It just seems like all the simple, practical, user friendly/non-advertisement ridden services are going the way of the abacus, in favor of the modern emoji hell, always connected, social media platform-esque way of doing things.. Which sucks. Skype started back when none of this shit was even an idea, back when most people had to get on their computer to talk to people on Aim or Skype, before there were any social media platforms that the media and advertisers had their fingers in. I guess the only thing of it's kind in regards to that back then would be Myspace?? Idk, I'm too young for myspace, I do wonder what it was like though. I just wonder what will replace skype and do what the old skype used to do.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2019-01-31 06:52:18

Myspace was heavy and bloated, even for browsing purposes, at least when using a screen reader, so I pretty much dismissed it out of hand when it was popular. I do miss AIM, though. It was the best instant messaging platform by a long shot.

2019-01-31 06:52:35

Honestly, I wouldn't trust a Reddit thread that said "yeah, this isn't hacked, it works". I just wouldn't use it at all; there are too many risky variables to consider. I'm fine with Skype 8 anyway.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-01-31 07:53:19

i am also fine with skype 8,i am actually more fine with 8 then i ever was with 7 because mainly of 2 reasons.

1. The /fork commant that some assholes kepd abusing to spam.
2. the fackt that the aplication kepd showing advertisements, skype 8 is not doing that at all.

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber