2018-11-24 23:27:48 (edited by queenslight 2018-11-25 02:04:54)

Greetings!

Has anyone gotten this Linux Os over at

https://jennios.com/projects.html

, to work after installing in a "VMWare 15 Work Station Player"  machine? I'm referring to both either Android or Arch systems.

everytime I finnish installing it and restarting the machine, nothing" happens! Unless ya count the "boot menu" screen.
Anything I'm doing wrong, besides replacing Windows 10 with Linux on my Dell Venue 11 Pro 7000" which I ain't doing on this machine?

PS. I've gotten most OS's to run (if they have Orca built-in,) to work without issues, except jenux!

2018-11-25 00:06:35 (edited by Ethin 2018-11-25 00:09:49)

Nash Central (and GennyOS or whatever its called these days) is a pile of shit. I wouldn't use it if I were you. The guy does absolutely no error checking anywhere in his scripts (unless he's absolutely forced to) and when asked for help he says "Oh, it works on my machine...". Right. Like his machines are a wide enough spectrum to test almost all possible hardware setups on. Little tip for you guys wanting to write custom installers for Linux: do not assume that just cause it works on your machine it works on *everything* or *everyone elses*! I'd highly recommend you either follow the Arch Linux setup guide and use Talking Arch, or I can attempt to update my (definitely outdated) setup guide that has worked on both hardware/bare metal and virtual machines. And since its a guide, it can be adapted and altered, unlike an installer script. I'm sorry that this post was a rant, but this guys "auto-install" shit (that most of the time breaks in exactly the *wrong* places, like formatting disks or installing packages, and leaving your system useless) is getting ridiculous. I mean, OK, its really awesome that he can get android on there and all, but he should make it a guide instead of a script. The pace at which Arch Linux moves is far faster than he can update a script in, or even a guide in. A guide though provides the groundwork instructions, and they can be adapted to fit irregular situations. You can find the Arch Linux install guide at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/in … ion_guide.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-11-25 01:50:00

I have installed arch linux 6 or 7 times I forget the point is I could do it in my sleep and with my eyes closed lol.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2018-11-25 01:56:27 (edited by queenslight 2018-11-25 02:00:14)

*sighs*

Well, I will finally take the plunge n install arch in a VM.
BTW, the more direct linkfor more info can be found here:

https://talkingarch.tk/

I think the thing for me, having enough patience for setting it up.

At some point, I'll be getting a Thinkpad 420 for Linux only tasks, to go alongside my Dell Venue11 Pro 7000 Windows tablet.

NB. Updated title of thread to reflect the discussion of all accessible-based Arch distros.

2018-11-25 01:57:26

@4, I wish you luck. It can be hard to get it up and running, but its damn fast once you get it working properly.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-11-25 02:01:36

Hello:

I appreciate your feedback. When performing either an arch or android install, which step in the install fails? If the bootloader installed correctly, which is done for both BIOS and UEFI systems, remove the installer from the virtual drive and restart the machine. If installing android, I would recommend installing to a flash drive and restarting the physical machine booting from the newly created drive, as modern versions of android x86 do not run correctly in vmware due to what appears to be incompatibilities with the virtual GPU. Also, I have found that both jenux and android install correctly using both VirtualBox and qemu, although emulation of the PC speaker does not work using VirtualBox. Also, at post 2, do you have any recomendations to implement not only error checking, but recovery in case of errors, other than running the failing step over and over until it returns success, which is what is being done with package installation and certain other steps like adding users in the post-installation segment?

2018-11-25 02:10:22 (edited by queenslight 2018-11-25 02:11:51)

@6

Thanks for your feedback.

NB. In case folks didn't notice, I updated the title to reflect the topics in question.

I will try reinstalling Jenux OS with VMWare, then remove the CD ISO manually.
@5
Yes indeed, I have listened to Kyle's audio tutorial, I'll have to listen to it again, while having the iSO mounted in he VM and its window open, thus installing it while the tutorial is going in Foobar 2000/VLC Player.

2018-11-25 04:39:55

@6, performing a step over and over until it succeeds is not going to accomplish anything other than to mess everything up even worse, if it doesn't just sit there and look like its doing absolutely nothing. That's like me executing a while loop, passing in data that turns out to cause errors, but just continuing to try over and over with the same data and continuing to cause the same error over and over because I want to try and "force" the system to do what I want. If an error comes up, your only option is to either bale out, or try different methods (cleaning up after yourself on the way) and, if none of those other methods succeed, bailing out too. You have no other option, and attempting to force the issue will not only piss your users off, but it will waste valuable resources. Use the || operator on every command, or check every commands exit code. Do not just "hope" it works. That will only cause huge problems if you just run commands and hope to god they work (and then they don't, or you break something).

My Github

2018-11-25 19:57:14

Jennux is a quality piece of software. Is it made using dirty ass hacks? Yes. Do those dirty ass hacks work? Of course they do. And if they don't, they get fixed.
I've used Jennux off and on for a few years and it's one hell of an OS. Get Jennux now and we'll throw in a bust of former President Obama's large head! big_smile

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2018-11-25 20:37:36

@9 just wow. smile amused

I like my uptime down low and my servers all hacked. Can see me droppin' twenty-fours with a router in the rack.
Ya like ya Switch-Ports hot and ya servers all hacked. If ya pings real high and ya networks pitch black.