2018-11-19 16:50:55 (edited by karate25 2018-11-19 16:54:43)

Hello there everyone, this is karate25 here and I'd love to share this very interesting article I've been given by a new ally and friend of mine at my former university. This topic will do two things. First of all, you'll be able to click this link and read the article and give feedback on it, but I also have some pretty exciting news for you all. As I said, this article was given to me by a professor at Shenandoah University which is my former college here in Virginia where I'm from, and they're the first college in the state to offer a program in which you're able to major in both augmented and virtual realities to build virtual worlds. I've offered her my services as a guest speaker in her classes via skype since I do that with another professor buddy of mine for his business administration classes about what it's like to be a former blind college student. Well, I'm taking that idea a step further with Doctor Anne Marchant here who is heading up this new virtual reality program, by offering her my services as a guest speaker on what it's like to be a totally blind video and computer gamer, and my ultimate goal is to try and gather together a group of willing team members who would be willing to help me to construct a virtual world that we the totally blind may live in, as well as our sighted counterparts without any sort of assistance from either party. In other words, we wouldn't need any help from the sighted, and the sighted wouldn't need any help from us either but we would both be able to live inside of this virtual world without either party hindering the other with the accessibility features. And that's where you'll all come in. If I'm able to put this team together, I'm going to instruct them all to come here and create accounts on here and then threads, or maybe only a single thread about how we can all work together on making this virtual world the very best that it can be. I'm going to use indeogogo as my crowdfunding site, since I've heard from this very site that it's the most blind friendly and the most flexible as far as funding goes, and I also have resources that I know of that I'll use to find professional voice talent. And I'm going to crowd fund all of this the same way a hero's call was done. I ask that when and if I'm able to gather this team together that you all be very kind and as helpful as you can possibly be in your advice about accessibility features that we can use in this virtual world which will be a futuristic themed one. Have a wonderful day my friends and here's the link to the article. I hope you all enjoy it.  https://www.digitalbodies.net/virtual-r … -impaired/
Also, to make things even more exciting, not only did Professor Marchant not laugh me off or brush me aside, rather she said rather cheerfully that she felt very sure that this was the kind of project that Shenandoah University would gladly stand behind and she's also looking very forward to having me as a guest speaker to explain why accessible tools are important to our community.

2018-11-20 06:51:11

Hi, I can think of a few ways movement could be achieved.

The only issue is, in the real world, doors, plants, open manholes, yeah I just threw that one in there as an example.

Let's say you're walking along, and in your way there is a telegraph poll, now, how would you know there is a telegraph poll there?

Those objects don't make sounds in the real world.

You could use some sort of radar method, but I like the idea of what I will simply call earcons.

Each object, when near enough, would make a certain sound.

I wish swamp did this instead of the radar and heartbeat sounds.

The heartbeat sounds were for buildings.

Another method is with echo location, when walking, and there is a wall in front of you, depending on your environment, the sound of the wind would raise in pitch as you get closer to the wall.

If you have sounds playing for each and every object, that's going to be a lot of information to take in at once.

Are we able to take in all that information through audio alone? or would it be censory overload.

Could we even do echo location in a virtual world?

These are just some of my thoughts.

2018-11-20 15:20:23

Well, that can be done in many ways. 1, you would have a really good reverb and 3d audio digital signal processing system that would make the sounds of your person reflect off of stuff like in real life, which is probably the hardest  of these to do, 2, something like in swamp or A Hero's Call, where you have a radar that makes noises or speaks through TTS to tell you what's around. That's all I can think of

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-11-20 18:17:04

wow guys! only two posts thus far aside from mine, and already I'm loving what I'm hearing. Wonderful meat to chew on from all of you thus far, and that's exactly what this thread is meant for. To figure out ways and means to build this world and make it the very best that it can be for both of us. Meaning we the blindness community as well as our fully sighted counterparts. Of course I'm going to have very lush audio in the whole world. One question I've been meaning to ask you all is how would you all like to be represented? the reason I ask is because in our world, being a futuristic setting, the white cane will be obsolete, and I was thinking of having some sort of white navigational device that your avitar would wear, something like a navigational belt that you could put on or something but that's just my idea. It could be an implanted device but I do have the idea of having some sort of futuristic version of a smart device that your avitar could carry around with you and it would be on you at all times. Think of it like a futuristic smart phone of sorts like star citizen's mobiglass if you will. This'll be an all purpose device that you'll be able to use not only to make in world calls to other people where ever they might be, but you['ll also be able to use it to accept missions as well as make repairs on machines and equipment planet side. Ship repairs will be made by repair facilities when you request them as you're docking. Speaking of ships now, I'm going to have autopilot inside of the starships, but it'll be additional equipment that'll be put in after you've purchased your new ship. Incidentally, you'll be able to manually explore should you so wish, and if you want to plot a course for somewhere, you'd use your keyboard to punch in the name of that planet or other destination. You can even punch in the coords of a new planet that you've discovered. Back to the purchase of ships though. When this additional equipment is installed, I'm thinking of either having the ship store know who you are and that you're a blind resident and either having them install it automatically before they hand you the keychip if you will, or you could have the option of having them install it for you. This would not only include the autopilot feature that I spoke of earlier, but your ship's computers would speak to you and give you information of the status of your ship that you could adjust the verbosity of as you grew more and more proficient. If I'm able to put together a team, it'll be a requirement that they all, each and every one create an account on here and post to this thread so that they could all speak with you and get input from you. This is fun and I'm getting excited now and I'm going to let doctor Marchant know of my progress here. May I inform her also of your eagerness to see this project come to fruition? I think I can say with about 99 percent assurance that you would all love to see something like this happen. Have a wonderful day to you all my friends and we'll keep this discussion going. I'm loving what I'm reading thus far and keep those thoughts and feedback ideas comeing in.

2018-11-21 06:39:02

I'm going to say no to the navigating device because they can be lost or misplaced.

Instead have the option to turn on or off the, let's just call it special navigation.

You can do this in swamp, it's just a toggle you can turn on or off.

Another concern I have is, how would we, as blind people build our own stuff?

Second life lets anyone, provided they know how to design and draw the graphics.

How would you do this with audio?

Not everyone can do audio production, myself included.

Like I said in one of your many threads about virtual worlds, not everything can be done with audio.

Text is another story.

anything can be done using text, provided they're good with describing things.

I just recently played what is probably the first ever interactive audiobook.

It's like those gamebooks by choice of games, only this gamebook is much, much longer than any of the titles I've come across by choice of games, or even hosted games.

Sometimes this book will not only describe your environment, it would have sound effects to go with it.

Now this is not exactly a virtual world because you're just listening to the story and making a choice at certain points.

Getting back to the building of items, how would we do this in our virtual world?

Picking items from a menu wouldn't make it unique.

The only way I can think of is to describe your creation as text, or maybe spoken audio, even if it is text to speech.

I just don't know.

2018-11-21 08:56:01

Haptics, conflabit! Aereal, Ultrahaptics, Novint, a Wiimote stuck to an overhead cable that is stuck to a Delta-like system, magnets, clever manipulation of airpressure, flat surfaces with electrically-generated textures... Half of which, I should add, have been around for quite some time, but for some reason, no one does anything with any of them besides show it off at CES or CSUN and disappear into the ether.
Some might say it's pointless novelty crap, to which I say: so is VR in general. Does anyone hear about the Nintendo Switch half as often as, not the PS4 or Xbox, but individual games available for the latter but not the former? Some phones are Immersion™ enabled. Am I going to have to buy 10, take classes in how to develop for it, and then teach people who are better at making games people outside my head can understand to make examples? Immersion™ sounds pretty minimalist, even, but for some reason people only buy things with vibration, so it works with what's available. It'd work much better on a force-feedback mouse, but PC gamers hated them, because apparently no one can imagine how a developer could compensate for active effects which they themselves generated! I mean, it's not like every touch device with any market value to speak of has to compensate for its own electronics and activities, or anything.
But if audio must, then fine; let's get creative. Has anyone tried Audimesh?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-11-21 17:09:49

Hello again everyone. Coolturk, that makes lots of sense about the navigation device being lost or stolen, and as far as building, I was thinking of using a module type system like star citizen does with their construction. So you wouldn't have to use code or know anything fancy like that. I was thinking things like habitat modules, retail modules, Etc, so if you wanted to form an organization you could build a space station and have your organization in that as your headquarters building and could expand it as you so wished and you would be purchasing the modules with in world currency. I like your idea of having the ability of turning on and off the extra navigational features and I was thinking of having the installation process have a section where you could select either the accessible installer or the regular installer when a sighted person would be living in our world. Again, this is only an idea and those of you out here who are smarter than I about coding would be able to tell me how feasible this would be. For instance, if you were using the accessible installer, it would install all of the extra navigational systems we would need to live inside the world, versus if a sighted person chose to run the regular installation program, it would simply run as normal with mouse Etc. Just a thought and it would probably make things more complicated that way but I'm counting on you to inform me of this. Also, we're going to have the ability in world to actually verbally communicate back and forth with one another, rather than the corny text chatting and pretending it's your character talking. We're going to have actual honest to goodness voice chatting, and it's going to be dynamic and sound as though you're actually in the environment you're in. Please tell me the truth now and no humor. Does this sound like something you would all enjoy if I can figure out how to put a team together? or am I simply wasting everyone's time. I don't want to be an annoyance, but rather contribute something wonderful to this community and use what ever leagle means to do so and if I come across as annoying, please forgive me because I certainly don't mean to be. Have a wonderful day and keep those ideas coming in.

2018-11-21 18:26:56

Installers have been known to offer to download optional components during the process. I've been thinking about that sort of thing as relates to, for example, voiced language packs, that would be too big to want to download in bulk, but more than one might be worth getting with the installation. That sort of thing could apply to accessibility components, maybe even the visual components but that's probably pointless since the visual properties of objects will still be there under the hood.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-11-21 22:44:48

what is audimesh? I've never heard of it. Is there a way I could download it and look it over? is this a system that lets you build things in audio format? just curious but I really do want to make this world happen for both of us so that we can play and live together inside of it. And no, we might not be able to build like they do in second life, but we'll at least have a virtual world of some sort where you can live your life in a futuristic setting. I'm thinking it's going to be a space life simulator like star citizen is but I'm going to do my best not to imitate Star citizen. I would never be that disrespectful. Have a wonderful day.

2018-11-22 02:10:03

I would love to have this be a reality! It sounds amazing, however it is a major major undertaking. I would mean creating a totally new framework and new game mechanics and a server to host it all. Try to build on top of other frameworks and use systems people have already created. Building this would take too long.
I would encourage you to retrofit something else that is already present. the development time and cost would be huge!
Please use speech synthesis for all talking in game. It is extremely hard to replicate sound characteristics in a room especially one that is always changing. I wish you all the best!
Hope you get this done!

2018-11-22 05:01:32

Haptics are pretty neat, most VR controllers have them embedded already, so I kind of wonder what the thinking is for those peripherals... Something, something, [Juicero]? Anyhoo...

AudiMesh3D is a 3D model visualization tool that uses sonified depthmaps, similar to The vOICe software by Peter Meijer, thats designed to work with OpenSCAD. You might want to check out [this] and [this] for more details on the method. Most 3D engines already use depthmaps as part of their rendering pipeline, so scraping and sonifying the depthmap is a fairly cheap way to feed spacial information to users, even more so when you apply object filtering. You can find a link to AudiMesh in my signature, there's also a working proof of concept for navigation of virtual environments [here].

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-11-22 05:26:14

We shouldn't need a different installer, or the option to install those features during install.

That would just make things more complicated than they need to be.

I'm going to refer again to swamp, even though it's been years since I've played, that particular game doesn't have an installer, at least it didn't last I played it.

It just had keystrokes to toggle on and off the navigation.

There is a word processor I use on occasion called EdSharp, now that program does have an installer with optional features for jaws users, but because I use NVDA, I chose not to install those features.

If you do decide to go that rout, I would use what they call an installer stub.

It is what firefox and dropbox do after all.

For those who don't know what an installer stub is, it's meerly a setup file, you pick what you want to install, then the installer will download your choices, rather than having everything packaged up in one big installer, most of it is done online.

2018-11-23 03:47:09

Hello there again everyone. I just have to say that this has all been a very fun learning experience for me to say the very least. Even though some of the suggestions may not have gone down so easily if you catch my drift, I can happily accept them as good constructive criticism and learn from them. For example, now that I think about it, having a wearable navigational device for the totally blind people in our world would be problematic since you're right in that it could be lost or stolen. I also like the idea of simply having a normal installer and simply giving the inhabitants the option of turning on and off the extra navigation features with the press of a key. Good idea. And as far as using the known frameworks and things, what I'd like to do there is to find out just exactly what sorts of technology and equipment these classes and program are going to be using, and then work it all out from there and I'll keep you all posted how does that sound? keep everyone in the loop right along with me since above all else, I'm an honest man and want to be just as much so with all of you. And by the way, if I can swing it, I won't be charging anything for the virtual world client, it'll be free. I won't be packaging you to death the way sryth does with all sorts of in world items that you have to buy with real money. To hek with that. You find something in world you like? alright, then save up and buy it yourself by doing work. We're carving our own lives here in our virtual world after all. So thank you all very much for the learning experience, and keep the ideas for the world coming in.

2018-11-23 19:16:36

Hello there everyone, karate25 here and I was just wondering since I've just finished watching a video of virtual worlds and their future from epic games. This gentleman in the video says that the unreal engine is completely free to download and build with. I know that unity isn't accessible but would it be at all possible for me to use unreal engine and have us a virtual world built that way with keyboard and game controller support? along with the visuals for our sighted counterparts to enjoy? let me know because apparently with this next release of the engine, you'll be able to do some pretty fancy stuff with sounds like having them bounce off of walls along with the music and have it muffled so that you can hide behind it and everything. So really cool stuff on the horizon from what it sounds like and if it can be used, Unreal engine just might be the gaming engine that I decide to use for our world. I'd like to have this world as lifelike as possible right down to the quality of the audio inside the environments. Have a wonderful day my friends and I look forward to your feedback.

2018-11-24 16:00:22

Hello everyone, karate25 here again. Would it be at all possible for me to have our virtual world built with the unreal engine? and since it's free, that'd be one way to save money. I like what you're seemingly able to do with it judging by the youtube video that I watched yesterday. I'm going to ask a rather frank question and I'd like your honest opinion. Since I already know you would like to have a virtual world, would you just like me to be quiet now and get to work on it when I can and stop posting here about it? come on now, be honest with me. If there's one thing I don't want to be it's an annoyance. So if you folks tell me, I'll stop with the posts about the virtual world until and if I can even get it started. Just please know that in the meantime, I'll do my level best to see what I can put together with regards to a team. Have a wonderful day and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

2018-11-26 18:34:46

Hello there everyone, karate25 here again. I have some very happy news for you all that I've just received from Dr. Marchant, and she says that once they've got their program assembled which should take about a year or so, since they're in the process of hiring staff for it, she feels very certain that not only will I be able to find the people to do all of the work that needs to be done but also that they could help me with obtaining a grant to support this project as well as helping me to make it commercially viable. So keep your fingers crossed and here's hoping. We just might get our virtual world after all if I have my say about it.

2018-11-26 18:44:40

Wait, you’d be given a grant? That’s great news. However, asooming you’d design this world rather than building it, trust me when I say that all the devs in the world won’t be able to create this if they don’t know what to code. Make sure to exactly plan out what features this world should have, and lay them out clearly. Should the project ever get off the ground, this will help to avoid getting stuck with everyone unsure what to do or work on next.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-11-27 00:55:57

Mainstream engines like Unity, Unreal, Doom, Blender, etc. are not generally accessible to develop with. But, if your planning on directing a team for PC/VR, then the Unreal engine isn't a bad choice. As connor142 touched on, it would probably be a good idea to come up with a Design or Technical Document to tackle [The Door Problem] before you start hitting the funding pool and putting a team together. Having a general idea of what the game is supposed to be, whats in the game, how it works, what players do, etc. will cut alot of time out of development, and thus save you money. There may still be a few bumps and changes along the road if some parts of the design conflict with others, better ideas come along, or with unexpected complications during development, but having a design ready really helps.

2018-11-27 01:13:33

Hello everyone, karate25 here again. Posts 17 and 18 I couldn't agree with you more, I'm going to start working on this right away although I've got a general idea of the theme for our world. It's going to be a futuristic setting and it'll have starships in it. You'll be able to go pretty much anywhere in the world you wish to go and when you're flying in one of your starships, you'll be able to land anywhere as well and it won't be just one of those stupid landing cutscenes but rather you'll be actually taking off and landing your ship and each starship will have different roles and sometimes even multiple roles. The only problem I'm going to have that I can see is that I'm not the greatest at comeing up with names for planets and places the way the folks at star citizen are able to do. Other than that though, I think I've got a pretty good idea of what I want our world to be. Would you like me to share my ideas with you once I've written them down or would you rather I simply kept them to myself and let the world be a surprise. Let me know because after all, we're all going to be living in this world together if I can get it off the ground. And no by the way, I wouldn't be coding this world, I would be comeing up with the ideas for the story behind the world and the team would be putting it all together. As you might have already guessed, this'll be an open-ended world with no ending at all. It's going to be an ongoing persistent world with everything happening in real time and absolutely no turn based stuff of any sort. It'll be like the world is living and breathing around you.

2018-11-27 02:24:35

Having the world be a surprise is up to you, but sharing such ideas can also be a good way to quickly shake out problems and gauge peoples responses to them. As always though the devils in the details, and its important to be explicit with those details in the design. Having a story and themes is good, but how do the mechanics of those things work and interact with each other in the simulation? Figuring out those rules early on is what can really help streamline development.

For example: You say players have their own starships, yes? What roles are there that they can fill? How do they fly those ships? What are the controls and inputs? How is flight data conveyed to the player? In what ways can the ships fly? Is there an auto-pilot? Do they need fuel? Can they be damaged? If so, how? How much damage can they take? What happens if they are damaged too much? Do they have shields? Can they be repaired? If so, how? Are there restrictions on where they can fly? Are there hazards that can damage or impair the ship? Can the player buy ships? For how much? Where? Can they build ships? If so, how? Can they customize those ships? If so, how? What kinds of customizations are there? Can you mount weapons on the ship? What kinds? Where do you get them? How are they attached to the ship? Can you carry cargo in the ship? How much? Does it effect how the ship flies? Can you jettison it? Can multiple players ride on a single ship? Can you jettison them?

And so forth and so on... Working out all these details and writing a solid design can take time, but its time well saved having to figure all this out when coding it. It can also help give a good sense of how much time may be involved to implement it, and thus, cost.

2018-11-27 04:54:16

Post 20 makes some very good points.

Now, I'm going to assume any combat will be optional, that way if you decide combat isn't your thing, you don't have to.

All I ask is please don't make the combat like Miriani.

I've only played Miriani a few times and I sucked at that combat style.

I was never quick enough.

Some others on here could probably come up with a decent combat design, like deathmatch: a new beginning, just don't make it like Miriani, because having ships jump about like that is just weird, not to mention, unrealistic.

2018-11-27 19:56:56

Hello everyone. No, I'm fairly certain that the combat style will not be like miriani and I agree with you. I was absolutely horrible at that style of combat. You won't be typing in numbers and other punctuation for combat anyway, since this won't be a text world but rather full of rich and lush audio of all kinds to make you feel as though you're really living in this world. My goal with our world is to build it in such a way that the inhabitants will want to literally come in here, carve out their own lives and really want to stick around. Once I start to put together plans for the world I think I'll share them with you all so that you can get a real feel for what I'd like to accomplish here and you can help iron out the rinkles and make suggestions. You've been doing extremely so far so why not. Incidentally, I do have a question about our ships needing fuel versus batteries? is one better than another? I mean to say is fuel better than running on batteries or the other way around? also, no, combat is absolutely not the only way to earn credits in our world. You can live your entire life and never even pick up a weapon of any kind if you really don't want to.

2018-11-27 21:03:32

here's the thing about ships. How are they to work/ I mean, how should they be powered and propelled? Batteries are kind of a weird option and they never really get considered for space vehicles, because the way things are right now any battery powered ship would have to devote absolutely huge parts of its space just for storing that battery. What is often conceptualized is ships powered by fusion. This would make for interesting mechanics, since you'd have to refill your ship's hydrogen/tridium/any other good fusion isotope from a starport in order to keep the reactions going, while also allowing for fusion reactors to be sabotaged, irradiating your ship in the process. I have no idea why so many scifi muds don't get this right, and basically tell you that if you're out of fuel, you're out of power. Cars don't work that way. You can still do things like radio and AC in a car even if the gas tank's empty, because that's powered by the battery. This leads me to the thought that maybe power and fuel should be kept seperat. Maybe have power run on a fusion reactor, and propulsion works using something else such as antimatter, or the principle of an ion drive, whatever seams pheezable.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-11-28 03:58:28

Good heavens, am I ever glad that I asked the question about batteries versus fuel for our ships. What a lot of wonderful meat to chew on and mull over as I set to work on my outline tonight. And I'll share it with you as I work on it so you and I can iron out all the rinkles and fine tune our world. That actually makes lots of sense having the battery take up so much space, space better used for cargo and docking bays as well as vehicle bays and other things. Have a wonderful evening to you all my friends and get ready to check out my beginning outline.

2018-11-29 01:24:17

Hello there again everyone, karate25 here and as promised, here's what I have thus far with my outline. It'll seem like I'm jumping around here but I'm basically writing down ideas as they come to me in no particular order but I hope you like what I have thus far and if you can think of any sorts of names for either the starting planet or the world itself, by all means, feel free to bounce them my way.

In the world of NewDawn, the time is the beginning of the 30th century and mankind has long since learned how to become a space fairing society and has left the milkyway galaxy for more habitable worlds since the earth was struck by a massive meteor and destroyed. Luckily, scientists were able to locate the approaching meteor before it struck the earth and there was a mass evacuation of earth without a single fatality since everyone was put into massive voyager class starships and departed the impending disaster for a newly discovered planet almost identical to earth just outside of the milkyway galaxy called Utopia.

Starships in NewDawn will employ both ion thrusters as well as fusion drives for both their propultion as well as supplying power for their internal electrical systems and life support.  Every avatar, known from here on as colonists will take on the roles of humans to carve out their lives here in NewDawn.  Each colonist will have implanted in their brain a device called a cerebral computer which is a tiny chip in the head that will allow you to do everything from making transactions at a shop’s console, making calls to other colonists and even summoning your starship to your current location.

Dynamic voice chatting will be mandatory in NewDawn, dynamic meaning that where ever you happen to be, your voice will sound as though you are actually there.  Your cerebral computer uses bone conduction technology to allow you to hear its voice if you are a totally blind colonist as well as hearing your caller’s voice when making voice calls or watching video messages.  Yes, you will even be able to watch video messages with your cerebral computer as well.

Starships will have many roles in NewDawn.  Everything from asteroid mining and salvaging on up to transporting passengers in ships called spaceliners that are equipped with seat-mounted food and drink ordering consoles for your passengers to feel more comfortable as you take them where they need to go.  The voyager class of starship mentioned earlier can literally hold thousands of people and is a luxurious model and is meant for very long distance traveling and exploration but it also can be outfitted with weaponry if one is so inclined to visit more dangerous parts of space.  Starships will also be equipped with hyperdrives to move quickly between galaxies.