2018-11-21 15:38:14

hi all, i want to start playing cosmic rage, but i don't know of an accessible mud client. i don't think i want to bye one, but there is not a free accessible mud client that i know of.
so my question is: if there is a free accessible mud client, can you please tell me what it is so that i can find a download link for it?
thanks a lot and bwest regards

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2018-11-21 16:04:24

there is mush client, vip mud is worse than mush client in my opinion. Mush client is free, btw.

2018-11-21 16:04:42

Firstly, you don't have to buy vipmud, you just get a nag message if you don't and some advanced scripting is not allowed, you shouldn't have any problems otherwise.
Vipmud is however what I'd personally recommend.

If you don't want to buy vipmud there is mushclient, which can be setup to ouput to screen readers by loading in some plugins, I'm less experienced with that since I've only ever just used it for alteraeon, but other people use it for different muds too.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-11-21 17:04:33

Hello,
About vipmud, there's one other restriction in the demo mode, which is a little more anoying. You're limited to 120 minuts sessions, which means you must restart the client for long sessions, or buy the full version.
About free accessible mud clients, we should probably mention cocomud too. To me this is probably the best mud client in termes of accessibility. It is fast, light and simple to handle.
You'll find a little less soundpacks or built up configurations, mainly because it is not well known by the mudders, but to me it has averything you can wait for from a mud client.
Hope to see you soon on CR, with the client you'll choose!

Best regard,
Simon

2018-11-21 18:25:24

Yall forgot one:

https://tintin.sourceforge.io/

Also see:

https://tintin.sourceforge.io/faq.php#TTS

, for screen reader tips.

2018-11-21 18:49:48

Would I be able to use soundpacks in the demo mode?

2018-11-21 19:03:30

If you mean for vipmud, yes of course. You're able to use nearly all fonctionnalities.

Best regard,
Simon

2018-11-22 00:30:20

Hadn't heard of cocomud before. this is a really nice little thing. Thanks for sharing it.

2018-11-22 14:43:38 (edited by Dark 2018-11-22 14:44:35)

In the vipmud demo, you can't use msp, that is mud sound protocol. This is where a mud specifically uses its own commands to play sounds on your system directly.

here is nothing to stop you using scripts that have in built triggers and stuff to play sounds, ie soundpacks that you or others make for games, you just can't use msp.

The problem however is that since the only muds I know which actually do use msp are materiamagica and classic six dragons, this isn't much of a restriction at all, soundpacks for other games like cosmic rage which people have made for Vipmud directly will work no problem.

hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-11-22 15:46:50 (edited by gisco_tn 2018-11-22 15:47:07)

@Dark

Alter Aeon uses MSP and I've talked to players who report that it works with VIPmud.

The MSP sounds are fairly extensive but different from mush-z sounds - I made 90% of them in-house. You may find playing Alter with VIPmud a different experience.

A.K.A. Draak - talk to me about any Alter Aeon questions or concerns!

2018-11-22 17:50:25

"gisco_tn, were the Alteraeon players using the free version of Vipmud or the fully paid version?

I thought that Msp  was restricted if you had only the free version and the thirty day trial you get when you first install Vipmud had run out.

I do remember back when I first tried Vipmud in 2010, I was playing with the restricted mode since the trial ran out on me due to a computer crash, and I had no sounds in Materiamagica until I bought the program.

Admittedly that was quite a while ago with vipmud 1.0 rather than the modern version and manifestly I've not had to use the demo since.

Vipmud manual wrote:

++1.5 Demonstration Mode

You may play the full version of VipMud free for thirty days.  After this period, you can play a slightly slimmed down version of VipMud for free. The slimmed down version only supports one session at a time, no MSP, no Debug Module, and a maximum play time of two hours before you will need to start-up VipMud again.  As a bonus, if you play Valhalla Mud, the two hour limit is waved.  We do not have any business relationship with ValHalla.  We offer this service to provide you with a MUD client without the need to make a purchase. But, please consider purchasing VipMud so that we can add more great features. Go to http://www.GMAGames.com to place your order.

Btw, also interesting that there is an alter msp soundpack, I'll have to give it a try for variety, though Alteraeon is the one game I use Mushclient with since while I prefer vimpud over all for ease of use I really do like the audiogame experience in alter.

2018-11-22 18:45:41

Thanks @dark and @Arkandias
I was going to try cosmic rage some time in the future and since the best CR soundpack is for VIPMud I was worried I could not play.

I've heard of Cocomud and actually used it a bit but I was going to add a Macro and it threw an exception.
Think it's got some bugs for now.
But haven't tried TinTin++ yet.

2018-11-24 21:23:00

@Dark

I don't know if they were using the paid version of VIP or the demo. Sorry I don't have more information on the matter.

A.K.A. Draak - talk to me about any Alter Aeon questions or concerns!