2018-11-21 08:49:21

Hello folks. Count me in for voice acting smile Can't say I'm a pro yet, but we may end up helping each other with new experiences.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2018-11-21 09:06:03

Re: Cameras... can't we do that in real life, with touch, canes, and ... basically touch and canes?
I've considered the idea of having a game mode where one's reach with the cursor is based on how far one could believably reach with whatever they're carrying, or their hands and feet if empty-handed. Maybe even allow the implement to be damaged if one dips it in fire or acid or whathaveyou, making things like gloves or tradeoffs involving materials relevant.
Then I thought it would be too annoying and everyone would just play on easy mode to have maximum reach regardless, making the effort of coding such a system and building it into the game a lot of work for the whole two people who will find it worth using.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-11-21 11:03:44

While I see musicalman's point on complexity, I think there is probably a happy medium out there that allows for discovery and exploration  allows more tools to interact with the environment than just left/right sterrio targeting or reducing things to only one dimension.
in a mainstream game even if one can see the entire layout of the screen, which usually means quite a long ways around the player, levels are much larger than one screen, indeed the Turrican game series are famous for having absolutely huge levels that take a massive amount of exploring to get around.

Another major part of the problem unfortunately, is that where first person navigation is pretty easy to understand and code (after all we all walk around with a first person view anyway), side scrollers are harder if anyone hasn't seen the mainstream version. Yes, hearing something on the left/right and going towards it is simplicity itself (hence all those audio space invaders games), but unless someone is familiar enough with how even the basic mechanics of how mainstream side scrollers work, trying to give much by way of  vertical information isn't easy.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)