2018-11-20 16:28:20

Hello.

Which muds are easy to get into? One that I can think of would have to be the unofficial Squaresoft mud.
The reason that I say that this is one that is easy to get into is because how the game handles stats and leveling up your character. Also I also like the way you can delete your account.

So what other muds are easy to get into?

2018-11-20 19:10:34

try alter aeon if you haven't. It was my first ever MUD, so i think it's pritty easy to get in to there as well.

2018-11-20 19:12:47

For me, I'd say alter.
Even though I don't play it anymore, it's by far the easiest mud I got the hang of.

2018-11-20 23:13:43

Agreed on Alteraeon, however two others that I can highly  for first time players are erion and Frandom.
Frandom has a very interesting and unique tutorial system, yet one which lets you get straight into the game with learning just a few commands, whilst Erion has a fantastic mud school and lots of easy to do player missions that set you to some of the easier areas of the game.

Aardwolf has a similar mud school, but the game itself gets harder and the community are  friendly than those in Erion, plus in Erion useful items are easier to get.

I'd also say four dimensions, since then basically the mud school takes you to your firs remort, however the big problem there is what the hell you do after you finish mud school.

Generally this is the problem I find, not how good a given mud's tutorials and newbie areas are, but how easy it is to go from the hand holding tutorial stage, to actually finding stuff to do in the main game, since some games like avalon and diskworld make that transition so jarring suddenly you go from being lead from place to place to literally wandering around with nothing to do.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-11-20 23:47:25

Let me second Aardwolf, because on top of the extensive mud school, it has a navigation system so that you can  "run to" places without memorizing directions.
I would also add Materia Magica, because it has a good tutorial, and then a "newbie valley" to get started with quests. The only thing I would add is that some of the marks and quests can get tedious and time-consuming. But I do like the Mud overall.

2018-11-20 23:58:15 (edited by Dark 2018-11-22 20:21:13)

Erion has the same system Aardwolf does for running to things, but imho erion is more logically layed out and smaller and a lot of the goals are less obscure I still need to retry materiamagica, I had major issues with it at one stage though  know its been heavily reworked since then, ditto with avalon.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-11-21 02:12:22

You know What?

I feel that if I ever get back into mudding again, "Frandom" will be my last ever adventure in to one. Especially since they give a lovely mention to this fine place here:

http://frandum.fr/other-worlds.html

Also, this is a UD i'd really get into.

2018-11-22 20:07:13 (edited by defender 2018-11-22 20:07:43)

Can you believe my first mud was god wars too? yeah... You can blame Mat1211 for that one.
I think age of chaos is a pretty decent starter as well.

2018-11-22 20:22:33

I've recently been playing criosphere, which is sort of a more formal version of Frandum in space, I'll make a post soon, but its good if you like puzzles, though sadly not updated now for several years, though it usually has some active players.