2018-11-17 21:11:02

Hi,

I've recently got my hands on an old Baum Pronto 40 machine, that doesn't Work anymore.
It starts up, sort of, but the keys doesn't Work. I've tried to reinstall the software, the operating system, and the BIOS, but I can't, because the keys isn't working. So, the thing I'm thinking of, is that the operating system is the falty part, and it needs to be reinstalled, so I'll somehow extract the operating system installation file, and copy the content to the Windows folder through my computer. So, my question is, do anyone here know a program that can extract an operating system file? The file extension is .nb0.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards: Aksel Christoffersen

2018-11-17 22:40:42

From the website
www.fileinfo.com
System file used to "flash" a boot loader image onto a mobile device; contains a raw binary image that can be loaded directly into the target device's RAM; allows the device to boot and then load a separate formatted image; can be used to alter system data such as the default operating system and applications.
More Information
NB0 files contain data that bootstraps the target device, downloads a new runtime image, and then "flashes" the new runtime image, which is then loaded by the device. The NB0 format is useful because it allows the target device's RAM to be written directly, since it is stored in the native format of the RAM. The initial flashing process is often done using a JTAG (Joint Test Action Group) connection, which connects directly to the printed circuit board (PCB) through a probe.
NB0 files are used by both Android and Windows CE mobile devices. Windows CE devices often use NB0 files to load a target device formatted image that has the ".bin" extension.
So no, it's not possible.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-11-18 00:43:21

Hi.
Even if it was possible, it will be illegal. There is a reason for it's encrypted. smile
Baum has closed its doors, so you can't get any support on their products at all.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-11-18 01:36:36

It's not necessarily illegal unless it has a product key, but it most certainly is not possible because you can't just copy contents of a rom image into the windows folder, unfortunately.

2018-11-18 07:49:48 (edited by akse0435 2018-11-18 09:00:57)

Well, I donn't know, if it has a password or not.

Anyway, so do you have any other suggestions to what I can try?

Edit: I'll now tell what's happening, when I turn the Pronto 40 on.

When I press the button, I hear the BIOS start up sound, and the display says BAUM Pronto.

After about 10-15 seconds or more, it vanishes, but the chimes sound never comes, nieder does the shot beeps, that indicates, that the software is starting. When it's started, the voice says nothing, but it displays the folowing error:
Fejl ved indlæsning af Outlook datafil.

It Means:
Error while loading Outlook datafile.

And I can't just press OK, like I usualy can with other Prontos, in fact, no keys Work.

I can connect it to my computer without problems, and I've tried deleting all the content from the flashdisk through my computer, and then copy it back from the install folder, and then restarting pronto, but the same thing happens.

So, please, what can I do?

Edit 2: I found out, that I can navigate the Pronto through CerHost on my computer, but it has no speech, and it doesn't seem to can read the SD Card. It isn't in the File Manager. I've tried reinstalling the OS from an USB-media, which the Pronto reads just fine, but the commando for installing OS doesn't seem to Work on the computer. So, it seems like the Pronto is running, but the drivers for the speaker, keyboard and SD Card reader is missing. What can I do?

2018-11-18 10:23:48

Even if you could extract the files as you outlined, you can't copy a new Windows install on top of a running system. Even if you could, you'd almost certainly then have a messy hybrid of the old and new systems, which would probably make the situation worse.

2018-11-18 10:26:07

That's a good point. Well, I'm currently trying to fool the Pronto to think that a USB media is a Storage Card, but not with much luk.

2018-11-18 11:15:41

Also, if I tried to copy the files from the same version of the operating system that is running into the Windows folder, would it then make no difference if they were mixed, because it were the same files. Alternatively, I'm thinking of, if someone has a Pronto with exact same operating system version as me, then the person could send me the entire content of the Windows folder, and I could check if some files is missing. Because I think, that the reason for the speaker, keyboards, and sd Card reader, don't Work, is because the drivers are missing, because if the speaker was fysicaly broken, then I could connect headphones without problems, but that doesn't Work as well.

2018-11-18 12:59:05

Maybe they are physicaly corrupted?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-11-18 13:36:10

It's possible, but I don't think so. Anyway, do anyone here have a Pronto with operating system version 2.0.0.58?
It is included with software version 3.6.

2018-11-18 19:03:35

Well, Baum just found a successor, VisioBraille, who got a website and a service number/mail address, i'd recommend you to consider writing them to get your problem solved.
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2018-11-18 23:04:43

I can, but I'll prefer fixing it by my self, if possible. I don't have enough Money to get it into repair. But thanks for the information anyway.

Do anyone have the above stated operating system's Windows folder?

2018-11-19 09:34:38

Hi.
Long time ago, I heard about some restart commands, which would load the firmware from scratch into the Pronto. I don't remember those commands since they are quite complex.
Maybe you could contact the reseller and ask for those commands? They might be willing to give those out, even when they don't sell the product anymore.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-11-19 10:17:11

Hi,

thats what I just wanted to say, maybe contacting them will show you some way or another to fix it yourself without the need of sending it in and paying for it. At least questions don't cost you money, as far as I know, so why not try it out?
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2018-11-19 11:31:33

Hi,

Yes, I also thought about that today. Well, I think I'll contact Itech and see what they reply.

2018-11-19 14:28:51 (edited by Hijacker 2018-11-19 14:32:49)

Hi,

and what does iTech have to do with a Baum Pronto 40? Why not contact the producers themselves? VisioBraille employs many of the original developers from Baum and will probably be able to help you in the best way possible. As far as I can see they also have an english website, even though from germany, so you surely can contact them. I'd consider them to be your best bed right now, not some other assistive service which just sells those devices, but probably doesn't know anything about their internals.
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2018-11-19 23:01:19 (edited by akse0435 2018-11-19 23:02:13)

Yes, Itech is the reseller of Pronto here in Denmark, which is, where I'm located. Until today, I thought trhey knew a lot about Pronto's internals, but after I've gotten a reply from them, which didn't answared any of my questions, or tried to, I think I'll try and contact VisioBraille. Thanks.

2018-11-21 10:58:05

NB0 files can in fact, be extracted if one has the right tool. and they're usually not encrypted, either. unfortunately, even if you extract them, I'm afraid they would be of no use to you at this current state, unless you want the files for some other reason. if it's a windows CE device, I wonder if it has a bootloader like the mPowers do? if it does, you might just be able to flash it through the boot loader.

2018-11-21 15:24:33

But if I extract the nb0 file, and if I then can see the content of the Windows folder from the file. I can check if some files are missing in the Pronto's Windows folder, and then copy them in. Can you help me extract the files?

By the way, I haven't got any respons from VisioBraille yet.

2018-11-22 13:04:26

are you able to send me a link to the NB0 in question? I want to make sure it can be extracted before I give you any answers.

2018-11-22 16:56:51 (edited by akse0435 2018-11-22 16:57:18)

Here is a link to the file from my Dropbox.

2018-11-23 15:18:39

so here's the deal. as you probably know already, nk.bin can be extracted using something like http://grossgang.com/utilities/nkbintools.zip
unfortunately, it doesn't appear to accept NB0, which I was hoping it would. I might be of ideas at the moment.

2018-11-23 16:22:18

It's OK.

I've made a deal with VisioBraille, that I send the Pronto to them, and if the repairation is too expensive for me, they'll send it back.

So that's it for now, I guess.