2018-11-14 15:28:29

Before I got a full windows machine I ran Windows on a mac in VMware fusion, and the fn pluss arrows worked fine for me.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-11-15 13:26:56

Nop, fn plus arrow keys doesn't work for me. I think it would have worked on my previews computer, but not for this one.
If only there was a way to manage the different volumes in an alternative menu so those who can't do it with their keyboard could do it manually.

Best regard,
Simon

2018-11-15 13:47:42

@Simon
i can help by changeing the volumes useing nvda remote. my name in the game is mazenalfraidi

2018-11-17 12:05:03

while that is a temporary solution, and while that would certainly do the job, it's not exactly a long term solution. while I have done that very same thing in the past, I would hope there is a better solution out there.

2018-11-17 17:35:14

Hello guys!
Could someone send the stw deat sound, if possible?

2018-11-18 00:05:35

The sounds aren’t encrypted, just use pack extractor or similar.

2018-11-18 02:26:14

you can send the link of bgt pack estractor?

2018-11-18 16:32:18

May I kindly remind everyone that the licence file explicitly states that you are not allow to decrypt, disasemble and so on, all portions of the software. This does count for sound files too.

<- criticview
   aka
   akilor ->
My folding at home statistics

2018-11-18 23:27:59

@akillor, the difference here is sam intentionally didn’t encrypt the sounds, leaving them open for pretty much anyone with the know how to take. This isn’t a security loophole, this is a very obvious implementation, if you can even call it that, on sam’s part. In bgt, there is a spassific line used to encrypt files with the pack_file object, set_sound_decryption_key(“<YourKey>”); in order for his sounds to not be encrypted, he would have had to intentionally comment out that line. There for, i see no problem with giving out the sounds, or telling people how to get them.

2018-11-19 09:01:43

@robomastr42: Your posts has been reported. This is not legal, no matter what you think is okay to tell. There is a reason for the raw sound files needs to be extracted. This is to avoid people don't steal them. Therefore, sharing how to steal the sounds, and use the argument that the developer could have incrypted them as an excuse is not legal, according to this forums rules. Especially not when the sounds are included in the licens agreement. Therefore, you have been reported...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-11-19 11:32:30

robomastr42 wrote:

@akillor, the difference here is sam intentionally didn’t encrypt the sounds, leaving them open for pretty much anyone with the know how to take. This isn’t a security loophole, this is a very obvious implementation, if you can even call it that, on sam’s part. In bgt, there is a spassific line used to encrypt files with the pack_file object, set_sound_decryption_key(“<YourKey>”); in order for his sounds to not be encrypted, he would have had to intentionally comment out that line. There for, i see no problem with giving out the sounds, or telling people how to get them.

Well, there defenatly is... Want to know why: because of the file licence.txt containing this line:
You are not allowed, under any circumstances, to:
reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, modify, decrypt, or debug any portion of this software's binaries or other files,

NO matter if things are encrypted or not, the licence terms are clear on the part: no decryption.

<- criticview
   aka
   akilor ->
My folding at home statistics

2018-11-19 13:42:36

it's not decryption. It's extraction. There's a difference. YOur not inserting a key into the program.

-
"There is beauty in simplicity."

2018-11-19 19:12:05

Hi.
Givvn that i came quite late into the audiogames seen the info i have might not be intirely accurate, however from what i herd, the stw sounds used to be encrypted until sam intentionally removed the encryption in this latest update. @slj, i don’t think you get it. Think of it like this. Being around computers for as long as you have, you surely know all about zip files, right? That’s basically all this. A very popular and well known tool for doing this is called pack extracter, which i believe was created by mason armstrong originally. When packing the sounds, you are givven the option of using a key to encrypt the files. So sam not only commented out the line used to encrypt the files, but also intentionally didn’t encrypt the sounds when packing them with pack extracter. So there you have it. Also, of corse i’m not a mod, but might i recommend toning down your posts a little. You came across as quite rood and harsh when there was really no need for it. Think before you post, man.

2018-11-19 20:31:29

Greetings. do  to the change in the sound handling in this recent update, sam had to leave the sounds unencrypted because it was not possible to provide the smooth experience when loading the maps. Sam either had to encrypt the sounds and leave that map loading as it is, or leave sounds unencrypted in order to provide better gameplay experience. Sam decided to choose the hard way and left the sounds unencrypted. however, that doesn't mean you are aloud to decrypt the sounds and do whatever you want with them. the license clearly states:

license  wrote:

Terms used:
Sam Tupy Productions: The creator of this software.
This software: Survive the Wild, or any of it's included components that were created by Sam Tupy Productions.

If you do not agree to this licence, please destroy any copies of this software that you currently own.
reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, modify, decrypt, or debug any portion of this software's binaries or other files,
attempt to gain access to or use any assets in this software without express permission from Sam Tupy Productions,
claim any part of this software including any of it's assets as your own for any reason without express permission from Sam Tupy Productions,
use this software without agreeing to this licence or any other rules this software may contain,
or distribute this software in all but it's original format, this means the file downloaded from http://samtupy.com/games/STWSetup.exe.
If you have received any assets that are part of this software, decrypted/unpacked or otherwise, by any means or from any person, the above terms still apply regardless of weather you own a complete copy of this software or not.
This software is provided as is, without any warranty what so ever. Sam Tupy Productions will not be held responsible for any damages, direct or indirect, that may result from the use of this software.
Failing to abide by these terms could result in legal repercussion!

The sounds still are in a dat format. that means they are still compiled/encrypted and are part of the over all package and you are not aloud to tamper with them.

2018-11-19 23:01:24

That’s still quite subjective though. And there are loads of better ways he could have done it, ported his map system over to mason’s engine, or simply code his own dll in pb or python or whatever, or remove lav since that’s what seems to be causing most of the issue, or, ya know, try fixing his own map code? And that’s just to name a few.
Crappy analogy alert. Imagine this little 5 year old kid walked into a sweetshop. He / she was told they aren’t allowed to take any sweets with red coloured packaging because that means they are unsafe or whatever. Well what’s stopping that kid from just walking right up there and taking those sweets regardless?
Yeah, exactly. Gotta love when devs blame there players for something they themselves implemented when there are a shit load of workable alternatives.

2018-11-20 12:53:36

robomastr42, i assume you are aware that the license of the game prohibits sharing the sounds, and also that we don't condone piracy or cracking on this forum. Consider this a warning, and if you continue to discuss this in this topic, firmer action will be taken.

2018-11-20 14:18:42

buddy. Do you know what cracking is? Apparently not, cracking, is not, decrypting, I mean woops, extracting sounds. And if it is, I'd like to see where.

-
"There is beauty in simplicity."

2018-11-20 14:42:56

At Audiogame. I refer you to the license of survive the wild. Let me help you
reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, modify, decrypt, or debug any portion of this software's binaries or other files. This would include the extraction method mentioned in this topic.

2018-11-20 22:44:29

I think many of the sounds are commercial.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2018-11-21 10:48:15

I personally see both sides of the argument here. let me chime in, and probably get bashed in the process for having a different view. first things first, thanks 3361 for the explanation. but let's be fair. you can't expect people to obey your license agreement. I still think the sounds should have been encrypted, that's really the only way you're going to put an end to them being extracted, or shared. because of that reason, (I have to give credit where credit is due, and in this case, that has to go to robomastr42.
I go and extract the sounds. I don't share them or anything, but I've extracted. now then. they're all on my PC. I broke the agreement, but you won't know, not unless I publicly told you. leaving them unencrypted does ask for trouble, is all I can say. not to mention if someone is not an STW player. this then reopens the topic of none-copyright license. so let's assume for a sec, I'm this random guy who doesn't play STW. so I go and extract the sounds, and share them. right, what now? I can't really be taken to the legal side of things for extracting a .dat file. banning me would have no use, since I don't play the game, anyway. in short, the way I see it is this. and please do correct me if I'm wrong. the license agreement is a nice way to cover up the unencrypted sound package. am I missing the obvious?
if not, this reminds me of something I've had with sendero group a few years back, regarding licenses.

2018-11-21 13:55:16

Since many of the sounds are commercial, wouldn’t it be something along the lines of cracking?

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2018-11-21 14:22:08

I believe they are, or at least some are, paid sound libraries. and that's why sharing becomes an issue, amongst other things.

2018-11-22 15:07:59

This is absolutely going to be something worth talking about both on the mod list and the forum, as to what can and can't be aloud here because it feels like a very fine line.
I think if there's a file called sounds.dat that kind of means they aren't meant to be accessed, and the license says so. What on Earth do we do if the sounds are all just there as wavs or oggs in a sounds folder though? I don't know if it's fair to do anything in that case. As it stands, Survive the Wild is part of the former, the sounds aren't available decrypted by default they have an extra layer of some sort on top, whether it's simple or not, doesn't matter, we've been asked not to share them. Now with a game like, say, Super Liam, that's much harder to enforce because hay, the sounds are right there.
This is one of the things I am struggling to know how to approach with the other staff when it comes to the rules, and am wondering what the community would want, both from a dev perspective and a user/sound collector perspective.

2018-11-22 16:26:47

I feel that if a developer doesn't want somebody getting access to the sounds it’s their responsibility to  incript them.  Otherwise someone could easily assumed that they are  allowed to do whatever with the sounds, rather it be change them, or use them.  I’ve noticed that more professional sounding audio games have often encrypted their sounds.

2018-11-22 19:40:55

@An idiot and @braille0109, completely agreed with you both. I also kind of agree with aaron, hence why i never gave them out myself.