2018-11-08 20:19:26

Below are the questions I wanted to ask regarding music composing with computer......

First: do I need a MIDI keyboard?

I wanted to know, whether I can do without one, or is it like “You have to have a MIDI keyboard for composing on a computer, otherwise you can’t do It.” kind of situation.

Second: how much practical knowledge of music is needed?
This should be quite easy. I want to know whether I should learn a physical instrument or not.

Not that I am against it or anything, but I did used to learn piano about ten years ago, but the teacher moved away, and since then I have never found a teacher who will be willing to teach me.

Third: what kinds of programs or softwares are available for this task?

Both free ones and payed ones.

Fourth: is there a way to combined composing with programming?

This might be strange, but I am currently learning programming, so I was thinking whether there was a way in which I can program the music.

Bear in mind guys, that I am asking these questions not because I want to make a career out of this. (For that, programming is already available,) but more as a tinkering kind of thing, because it interests me.

I will wait for your answers.

Thumbs up

2018-11-08 21:49:39

Midi keyboard isn't a must have, But if you get one, things will be 5x easier. As for the software, You can use reaper. If you don't want a midi keyboard then no need to know a phisical instrument. But if you do, You should no keyboard or piano playing. You must have the music knowledge though since you are going to compose a music not a random key press in a vst. And yeah you can write notes with qws which is another accessible software. Although from what I know.

Add me on skype: kianoosh.shakeri2
Or follow me on twitter @kianoosh shakeri

2018-11-08 23:03:30

to not repeat myself I advise you check out this thread

Thumbs up

2018-11-09 00:36:04

I find it easier to enter manually than to play and record, probably because I have such terrible rhythm that, after practicing enough to get a usable take, it's taken longer than it would have to just write it. It's also possible that NoteWorthy Composer is faster than more accessible editors, and I somehow taught myself to use NWC but can't seem to teach anyone else. sad
I don't know how it works with Reaper. I should look into it, since VSTs apparently enable much higher quality instruments than soundfonts, somehow.

Some of my games
Keep up to date by following @Jeqofire on twitter!
Ear Ninja?

Thumbs up

2018-11-09 02:49:52

@kianoosh:

I think you were interupted before you can complete your reply.

@UltraLeetJ:

I wasn't aware that there was almost similar topic, sorry about that. but your explaination did helped me understanding why if I continued on, I may need a more powerful computer, or at least a system with more ram.
as for practical music, I see what I can do. though I think I have to learn to about notes, rather than a instrument.

Thumbs up

2018-11-11 18:14:21

So, I wanted to ask, did anyone has used Musescore? if yes, mind telling me how did it worked, and can it prove useful for my purpose?

also, I tried QWS, but it appears to be mainly made for MIDI devices.

Thumbs up

2018-11-12 03:47:12

museScore does have some accessibility
editing is not as easy though and I am really used to work in lilypond. But for the record, I have edited and corrected a few arrangements by my friends and the like adding notes, deleting notes and so on. So you can get at least somewhere with it.

Thumbs up

2018-11-12 11:30:03

doesn't Reaper provide same functions?

Thumbs up

2018-11-13 05:10:35

reaper is a software for editing audio and midi, and much more, though it does have a musical editor somewhere, but its still somewhat hit or miss regarding its musical notation editor, plus that notation editor is totally inaccessible. I have however linked to a post that talks about reaper fully for audio and such.

Thumbs up