2018-10-28 00:22:04

small patch released that changes one letter, making a huge difference  in game play.

2018-10-28 02:59:53

sad, no combos. Sob sob

2018-10-28 03:37:29

would be nice if you could put some documentation, as well as a changelog in the directory, or at least tell us what this letter change is!

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-10-28 13:12:33

as i said i want other link

Yours kindly

2018-10-28 13:19:27

go to rorygames jc hosting and download from there.

2018-10-28 16:33:23

also, the game kind of just sounds like random punching sounds, and wen it says they go down for 8, it doesn't even count!

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-10-28 16:45:56

rofl yeah, the game sounds a bit stupid at that point. Also i think the block sounds sound as punching of another type, heh.

2018-10-29 05:42:01

i can't even tell the difference between my punches and the person I'm fighting.

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

2018-10-29 06:56:05

hey give the guy a break. it's a start and could leed to something much bigger. it's actually kind of annoyingly fun as it is even though it doesn't last long. I've found myself playing it over and over.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-10-29 08:06:52

new features for 1.30 that I've made so far:
pummelling! nearly completed
level now saves!
sorry can't tell ya where.

2018-10-29 09:38:50

Hi Rory, I like where this is going.

the blocking system took a bit of getting used to I admit (particularly because for some reason I kept hitting j for right punch  than l because its closer to the m).

I would  very much recommend including a keys guide, or maybe some sort of boxing trainer in there to get you used to blocks and punches.
As regards gameplay generally, I definitely approve of the blocking system, though it might be interesting to have some other mechanics in there to play with as well, since while the game is no longer a button masher, it still plays a little like boppit at the second, though I suspect that will change as more complex elements get introduced.

One  suggestion I do have, is perhaps including a  system for either changing the distance between you and your opponent, and/or the target areas of punches, for example, perhaps holding the control key could launch punches at the opponent's upper body and head which would do more damage, but move more slowly (giving your opponent more time to get a hit or two in), or perhaps you could use the arrows to change somethough of the distance between your opponent and you altering the power of punches and the validity of blocks.

Basically, the more factors there are to play with, the more players will have to adapt to their opponent's fighting style.

Lastly,  while I know sounds aren't easy to come by, you could consider including some more sounds in the game and maybe some ambience (hay a boxing bell would be nice), and even if that is not possible, perhaps consider sticking in a few extra messages, both describing when you or your opponent goes down for the count, and for  a little of what these various online enemies your adding are like, EG if I am fighting Joseph it would be nice to know whether he's a six foot heavy weight, a robot, an alien etc.

Other than that, keep up the good work, I definitely like where this is going and appreciate that someone is,  actually trying to make a boxing audiogame, indeed since the only  other boxing games I can think of thus far have been the savage gammet and the boxing minigame in Oriol's beatstar, (not counting online games like WEBL), its more than high time someone stepped into the ring once again big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-10-29 15:39:59

also, maybe slow down punches a bit so we can actually react to them?
maybe have a swoosh sound for wen the punch is thrown?

----------

2018-10-29 15:58:19

Personally I find the speed okay at the moment, though it took getting my lights punched out in three or four fights to get used to it.
Still,  comfortable speed is a relative matter and  as the game gets more complex, the speed factor will change.

it'd actually be nice to have a range of opponents who punch at different speeds, from light weights who do an E Honda style hundred hand slap, to big heavy weights who punch slowly but powerfully.

The only thing I do hope, is that the game's difficulty will involve more than just matters getting faster and faster and overwhelming you with sound.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-10-30 06:52:50

soon I will be implementing a new feature. randomly when you play, for each two minutes of gameplay and each win, you'll get boxcoins. these help you unlock special attacks such as pummelling and slow motion. also, since I'm an eejit, levels still don't save.

2018-10-30 06:54:48

one more thing, and sorry for doubleposting. I'm going to add pain sounds for when you are hit by a punch so you can destinguish punches. and @dark, there will be a boxing bell and crowd ambience added. each update will take me from a week to two weeks to code, but will have many many features.

2018-10-30 10:18:46

check out the new legendary online enemies for haloween! 5 high-level enemies all ready to be challenged!.

2018-11-02 01:55:38

guys, new update coming out this afternoon. for now, you can use all powerups. just because I am feeling nice. also adds check for update feature, and fixes bugs.

2018-11-02 07:25:51

new update out with powerups and check for updates. check it out!

2018-11-02 17:17:08

Hi.

I'm afraid I am not seeing these power ups, do you need to do something to activate them or do they only show up in specific game modes or something?
I do have the latest version, at least according to the check for updates dialogue.

2018-11-02 21:45:38

rory i'm telling you, we wouldn't have these questions if you just took 5-10 minutes writing some documentation. If you do that, and make this game a little more imersive, I might consider playing it

----------

2018-11-02 22:53:05

actually tried to work on a doc a few days ago but computer went dead. sorry, will re write it now.

2018-11-03 01:32:49

new update 1.36 out. refer to site news page for more info. also, since there is no manual yet:
a, left hook, g, jab, l right hook, z left block, b middle block, m right block,   e check your health, r check enemy health, p pummelling powerup, o slowmotion powerup, i solid defence powerup, u superpunch powerup. to use pummel powerup, hold space and g. react quickly! and enjoy!

2018-11-03 07:17:50

I'm afraid I don't get how pummelling works at all, I hit p and Nvda says "pummeling ready" however holding space and g does nothing but gets the enemy to punch me.

Super punch and solid defence do make sense, but again, since basically all the enemies do at this point is launch the same number of punches that can be blocked in the same way, I'm not exactly sure  when or why to use power ups since effectively I can just go on blocking and hitting.

I like the basic setup, the levels are potentially interesting and its nice to get newly named opponents, but I would suggest perhaps considering ways to change up the basic gameplay before adding in extra options for the player, since if enemies can be defeated by essentially playing boppit against them, however many extra options you add in, it won't make too much difference if players have no need to use them.

Perhaps you could consider some ways in which your enemies and their tactics could be made a little more varied, for example the targets or distance suggestions I made in post 36?

After all, in most fighting games including boxing games players cannot just block all punches with the hit of a button and automatically retaliate, they need to consider distance, where the opponent is, where the opponent is targeting their blows and the best circumstances to avoid, block or counter etc.

Good luck with development, its always nice to see someone working on a game genre we dont' have  representation of in audio, indeed Savage gammet is I think the  action audio boxing game we've had so far.

2018-11-04 00:53:24

ok, so, what I'm actually planning is to be able to run around the arena, and only do left hook when your x is 1 greater than the enemy's, and the enemy only being able to do one if his x is 1 greater than yours, or something like that. this will make the game much more interesting. but that's for 1.5.

2018-11-05 07:18:00

another big update has been released! it's version 2.0, and guess what it brings?

combos!