2018-11-03 19:32:16

@jonikster, again, your doing what I told you not to -- leaping around and doing things way ahead of you right now.
@24:
1. IL code (which c#, vb .net use) by itself can be decompiled easily even the variable names can be retrieved (unless it is obfuscated)
although if they are obfuscated, people can deobfuscate/decompile them as well!
the fact that if something could be read by computers could be read by human beings as well is true, but you should consider security as well!.
Nothing is impenetrable. Obfuscation hides most of your program from the world, and makes it much more difficult to get at (even things like ILSpy can't read them).
2. regarding python, i advise people to learn it due to its cross platform support, vast amount of libraries etc
The same applies to most other popular programming languages.
3. regarding c/c++, you can do everything in them, except that they are low-level and you should write up some codes which could be done automatically for you in higher-level languages like python/c#
but, if you learn to code in them, you can achieve great results like very fast execution etc (since their code are compiled into assembly then into machine code and they'll be linked into executable)
You don't always need to make all your code work in higher-level languages like Python. C++ is good for many things, and not everyone wants to expose those things to other languages. (Not to mention that doing so can be very challenging for other languages than Python, and the only reason that that's easy is because we have Boost.Python).
4. regarding java:
if you want to develop something for android, go for it.
Indeed. But 25: there is no need to distrust C#. C# can do everything Java can do on Android (well, almost). If you can give us a good reason why you don't trust C# on Android I'd love o read it.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-11-04 04:10:20

@26:
1. some people are afraid of C/C++ due to pointers and/or references because of this, they won't sometime use it.
also, you can't write an operating system in a high-level language!. sometimes even you should use inline assembly in C/C++ to make some parts of your code work!.
to complete my word, in C++ objects and/or classes are not automatically garbage collected or allocated/freed, you should use smart pointers and/or do that by hand using new/delete or in c using malloc/free
this is one of the reasons that people don't use C/C++ (although i love c/c++ for it's vast amount of users and having ability to interface with everything from devices to developing drivers in ring 0 (os-level execution), so much amount of libs (like boost, cml, sdl etc), and a lot more)!
also, obfuscaters can help you, but they can be deobfuscated like the packed executables which could be unpacked easily and then the functions and/or api calls could be easily monitored and then the import table could be created easily
i said this for the people who are considering languages that are using dot net under the hood.

2018-11-04 04:19:24

@27, fair point. However, I don't really feel your point about people being afraid of C/C++ because of manual memory management and pointers and all that really applies any more. Most modern C++ books teach you to use smart or shared pointers when using pointers, though most will also teach you the low-level version too. However, they don't advocate using them all the time.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-11-04 07:56:30

27, Pointers are a difficult topic for me, but I’m afraid to learn C++ because I’ve heard that I should spend several years learning C++ before I start developing projects.

2018-11-04 10:22:24

@28, #29 was one of them
another one is kianoosh which he told me he can't understand pointers and in my idea it doesn't make any problem for them since they don't need to go deeper into low-level stuff!.

2018-11-04 10:36:57

@30, pointers aren't overly hard once you get to grips with them though.
@29, I'd love to know who told you you need to learn C++ for several years before you start developing projects. That is most definitely not true. You learn c++ by developing small projects. Tiny ones at first, then you get bigger and better as you go.

My Github

2018-11-04 12:44:43 (edited by jonikster 2018-11-04 12:45:27)

31, Because many people have been learning C++ for many years and believe that they don't know C++
But if you think this is not true, then I think the best choice is C++.

2018-11-04 19:37:38

@31, i'm not saying pointers are hard to grasp, at least for me. cause i've learn them and i can use them effectively
but some of the people, specially who are going to start learning programming, or spread their time working with higher level languages might have difficulty of learning them.

2018-11-04 20:27:50

@33, I know. It can be hard since pointers do force you into a particular mindset.

My Github

2018-11-11 18:45:07

Is interesting your discussion, guys.

In my case, I understand pointers.I know how them works, and how use them. But if you ask to me... Do you use them, or preffer to use them in a project?
Mi answer is no; I preffer the system / garbaje collector / etc handle these things, and I only thing about the main model of the project, the coding stiling of the project itself, and these other things handle with well the system, or some libraries smile

Because that, for games, I choose c#
And well, the offuscating or hidding the code from others really no mathers to me, be cause well y put mi projects at github as a public code so... smile

And python is my second loveli option :3

2018-11-11 22:24:37

@sanslash332, C++ has similar things to the garbage collector. You will find very few "really good" game engines in C# and a lot in C++. If your going to us C++, get used to pointers -- you definitely don't want to post all your games on github especially if you perhaps want to make a profit on one.

My Github

2018-11-16 14:40:17

a @Ethin of course if you want make profit of your game, is a bad idea to publish it publicly, but if all of them are freeware projects, don't exist any problem of them smile

And well, for private projects, bitbucket is your friend, if you don't want a paid for a private repo on github smile

About c++, well, at the end, is simply a final choose wat do you want to use. smile