2018-11-02 23:37:17

for all linux users here
hope vocalizer come to voxin:
https://voxin.oralux.net
write to them if you are intrested to get vocalizer in voxin.

2018-11-02 23:53:15 (edited by jack 2018-11-03 03:51:49)

Ok, a few things here.
1. Voxin, although it is known by most as being Eloquence for Linux, is far from it. Well, I wouldn't say that literally, but what is actually being used is an IBM Viavoice binary, which piggybacks on an older Eloquence distribution. With that said, on a technical level, Voxin in its current form will never work on Arm systems. Seriously, just don't try. Viavoice is an x86 binary, so it absolutely won't work on Arm. The developer was kind enough to refund me for the purchase, and after that I had asked if he had any plans to make the thing arm-ready. He told me Viavoice was all he had, which could possibly be due to the fact Wizard Software was his licenser. I made him aware of the Android distribution of ETI-Eloquence as an example of an arm-ready Eloquence, at which he said he wasn't made aware of that at first and was going to look into that further. That being said, Voxin hasn't any ties with Nuance at this point. I would venture to guess that Oralux might have had a harder time with Nuance, after all NVDA devs and Nuance couldn't come to an agreement, probably wanting some drm to be used. They did for Vocalizer eventually, but not for Eloquence until Code Factory came around. Incidentally, Code Factory is now a Nuance text to speech sublicenser, among other things. Also, Voxin is clearly non-profit work. It's 5 bucks, have you ever seen an Eloquence distribution that cheap? It's clear that the cost is clearly meant to pay off royalties to Wizard Software. Unfortunately, Nuance would probably not be willing to strike a deal unless it was made a little more expensive in the name of royalties.
So yeah, I doubt you'll be seeing Vocalizer for Linux anytime soon.

2018-11-03 00:01:40

why so negative? people write to oralux so we soon have vocalizer!

2018-11-03 00:57:46

No negativity here, he's just stating that if Vocalizer is made available on Linux it'll probably be some time in the distant future.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-11-03 03:48:16

No negativity at all, and do remember Oralux is not some big corporation. And it's not as simple as oh let's write to Oralux and get Vocalizer. Doesn't work that way when you have licensing to deal with.

2018-11-03 15:52:48

Now Vocalizer's sdk is fit to work on Linux. But dare I say it, there probably aren't enough people using Linux and Speech Dispatcher to make developing a driver for that an investment to yield much return. keep in mind that the Linux kernel powers a lot of devices being used, so when you have Linux support, that usually means most of your customers will be embedded applications or devices, not a screenreader driver. That being said it also might have just not been thought of yet, after all we did get all these voices for sapi5. However I would keep in mind that it took many years to finally get vocalizer in sapi5 form, all the while screenreader after screenreader was getting direct drivers, which goes back to Realspeak being converted from a sapi5 voices disk to a direct driver.

2018-11-03 16:29:46 (edited by serrebi 2018-11-03 16:31:07)

Voxin tts is awesome on x86: Also, the guy's really good about giving you a download link if you don't archive it. Nuance is too busy being owned by Apple to release vocalizer for Linux hahaha.

2018-11-03 16:43:14

Oh yeah, and I don't think there is any drm in the Voxin package. And yeah, Nuance is too busy with everything else to worry about cult-favorite operating systems. Lol! I say that as a multi-os (including Linux) user myself, realizing though that it is still far from mainstream. Look at it this way, if it wasn't for viavoice/wizard software, Voxin would either be nonexistent, or probably more expensive. 5 bucks isn't bad at all for what you get.