2018-10-31 11:15:34

Hello.
Guys, I was recently interested in the topic of developing MUD games.
I looked for information and realized that the most popular MUD engines are old engines developed in C, for example, circle.
I have a few questions. I hope there are guys who have knowledge in the development of MUD games:
What programming languages can I use to develop MUD games?
At the moment I am learning and practicing with C++/Java/Python. What makes it easier and more convenient in MUD games?
If I decide to use C++ for MUD games. How well should I know C++?
What MUD game engines can you recommend? I need not an engine like evennia, I'm looking for an engine like Circle.
Can I avoid the C programming language in the development of MUD games?
I'd welcome any comments on this topic.
Thanks in advance!

2018-10-31 14:57:31

Let's see...
1. What programming languages can I use to develop MUD games?
Any programming language that supports TCP networking, file/database I/O, etc., will work. A MUD doesn't need a lot of things to get going.
2. At the moment I am learning and practicing with C++/Java/Python. What makes it easier and more convenient in MUD games?
This really is a question that is subjective and hard to answer. The reason is simple: what one person may think is easy in one programming language may be a nightmare for someone else in another. Honestly though? It depends on what your trying to do.
3. If I decide to use C++ for MUD games. How well should I know C++?
Very well. Your going to be doing a lot with pointer manipulation -- you can't completely get rid of that -- and a lot of low-level TCP IO. You can get rid of some of that with libraries like Boost.ASIO, or or DYAD, but overall your going to need to know it quite well. A MUD is not an easy thing to do.
4. What MUD game engines can you recommend? I need not an engine like evennia, I'm looking for an engine like Circle.
TBH I think your barking up the wrong tree here. The MUD engines that are like circle are very old and, I'll be frank, piles of shit. They are literally hack-jobs. I could never figure out how to go anywhere with them, and their other problem is that they force your game into a particular style, mostly either magical or non-magical. The only truly "modern" MUD engines are engines like Ranvier.
5. Can I avoid the C programming language in the development of MUD games?
Of course. If you don't use an engine that's written in C/C++, then yes, your doing that right there. If you do howevr want a game backed by C/C++, I'd highly recommend LambdaCore -- you can pretty much make your own style of MUD out of that, though it will take a lot of your time to complete.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-10-31 15:44:05

As I understand it, can I try using other programming languages? Not necessary to learn C++ for MUD games?
By the way, about JS and Node.JS. What do you think about it?

2018-10-31 20:29:32

Or try out the dead souls based engine, it needs lots and lots of patience but if you wanna start with something easier than a programme in C, then maybe you could give it a try.

2018-10-31 20:45:54

@Nikita, yes, you can make a MUD, MOO, MUSH or whatever else you like in any programming language you like so long as it supports what you want to have, or it has libraries that can provide that support. Node.JS/JS is a good language to make MUDs in (though I personally thought the code was a bit messy).

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-11-01 08:51:07

My question there is, how do you write the command parser? Is it a huge "case" statement or somethin' else?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-11-01 10:55:52

Hello.
I'm interested in creating MUD games too.
Most Russian MUD games have been developed with Circle. Now I am thinking about C++, but I'd like to know if I can develop a MUD game in Python, without C++.
In most cases, when developing MUD games, the game is written in C++, and some of the code in Python.
About JS. I hear more and more about this programming language. But I can't calmly learn JS and Node.JS. All materials are aimed at the development of WEB applications.

2018-11-01 14:02:03

@7
Looks like your also interested in developing sidescrollers, FPS's, RPG's, virtual states, operating systems, programming languages, guides, references, handbooks, websites, laws, codes of conduct... ... ... All while standing on your head, attempting to perform a back and front flip  simultaneously and wondering why you can't dance around. Yes there's a point to such a shitty  analogy. Find something on your level and stick to that. Say I won't stop until this is completed one way or another. I think you find yourself in the deep end without any idea how to swim. So start from the basics, at the shallow end. Slowly, gradually get deeper until you believe your at the required level

2018-11-01 19:15:54

@nuno69, a MUD command parser is probably one of the most complex portions of a MUD. Some MUDs use internal command tables, some do things like what MOO does, others are even stranger.

My Github

2018-11-10 07:43:51

personally, I like working with moo but that  is just me, each person  will have their preferred coding anyhow, I wish you the best

“The fear of loss is a path to the dark side. Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy.
The shadow of greed that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.” —

2018-11-19 12:10:28

I couldn't even begin to write a mud core but I am currently game creating in coffeemud. I used to code in MUX but this is fun and easier without trying to build anything but a scripting language for mobs and such.
Don't get me wrong, not using stock on a CM is a lot of work, but you can pretty much do what you want and if you know java you can do what you please.
A

2018-11-19 18:14:16

If you're serious about coding a mud, c is the way to go.
C was built with the purpose of handling a lot of stuff, very fast and is perfect for, well, anything server related.
The syntax will take a little while to get to grips with, and you'll start off with memory leaks left right and center, but if you're serious about making a mud then it's the way to go if you want something modern and that you can truly say is your own.
What ever choice you make, you will end up having to learn a new language, coffee mud is in java, for instance, so to make a unique game using coffee mud, you'll have to strip it down and recode nearly everything using java.
From my experience, python is the complete wrong way to go for anything server related, but that's just personal experience and not a fact.

In conclusion: if you're serious about coding a mud, learn c, and learn it properly. If you can't be bothered to learn the language properly, grab coffee mud, make a clone like the 60 million other coffee mud games out there, and enjoy

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!