2018-10-29 12:03:13

Myself and the staff here at ag.net are pleased to announce that longstanding member Jayde has been given the position of moderator. With his level head and keen intellect, i am  certain that he will be a highly valued staff member. For myself, i welcome you aboard sir. We look forward to your further contributions and your helping us to make this site a pleasant place to be.

2018-10-29 12:15:55

Welcome to the team!

2018-10-29 13:00:08

Thank you very much. In the coming days and weeks and months, I hope to do this forum proud. I only hope I pass muster. Being a mod or an admin is something I've been interested in for years, and finally I reached out, and here we are.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2018-10-29 13:56:02

Hi Jayde.

To be honest I don't know why you weren't made a mod years ago, since your certainly more than qualified for the position, Ie you are eminantly sensible.

I wish you the best of luck in keeping the forum running smoothly.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-10-29 14:19:26

Congrats,jade on the modship? lol
Seriously though, you do seem like a person capable of thinking and no, I don't mean that as an insult, and I am sure will do quite well as a moderator on here.
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2018-10-29 17:43:51

Dark, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Griff, I didn't take it as an insult. I believe I took it in the way you intended. I take some measure of pride in keeping a reasonably level head and in thinking things through. God knows nobody's perfect though, so just don't kick me too hard if I slip at some point.

2018-10-29 17:52:06

Congrats, Jayde the always nice member and the well deserved mod.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2018-10-29 17:52:46

cool! @jade glad to have some extra happyness. I love events and you joing us oh my god, congrats. Hope it goes well for you

2018-10-29 21:24:00 (edited by defender 2018-10-29 21:24:25)

@Jade
Considering your intense need to argue, your impatience when it came to the guides, and your refusal to see facts for your self on the BSG blog do to the author's attitude, I hope you can work on that when it comes to moderation. Aside from that I like the way you right and most of your posts have good reasoning even if I don't always agree with them, your Manamon guide was really useful, and you have lots of good info about game mechanics.
I hope this doesn't blow up in everyone's face... Being a mod is not a fun job.

2018-10-29 21:44:25

Honest question: what do you mean with your second point, about impatience with the guides? I'm kind of confused by that one.

The rest of your post, I'll let lie, except to say that I think my tendency to go to bat for things I stand for is both a strength and an area of concern in different ways.

Be sure, however: I never, ever ignore facts just because they're inconvenient. Not ever. If I took different things from that blog post than some of the rest of you, it is because I read it multiple times and weighed it as objectively as I know how. We are apt to disagree on specifics; you are prone to certain conclusions while I repudiate them. That's fine with me; I don't intend to try and chase you with it, and hope that you can show me similar respect.

I very much doubt this will blow up in anyone's face. If I thought I'd be unsuited for this job, I wouldn't have reached out and offered to help.

2018-10-30 00:08:12

uh? Jade seriously, people shouldn't throw out messages like that. You will be a good forum moderator, i have faith in you, and i'm supporting you completly. I hope you can manage to work out how to handle various problems, but i no you'll have no problem what soever. I seriously hope things go well for you.

you can run, but you can't hide, i'll make sure of that.

2018-10-30 00:27:48

Yeah, welcome to the team, Jayde. Like Dark I cannot understand why you weren't a mod sooner. I look forward to your robust contribution.

Just myself, as usual.

2018-10-30 00:34:19

Lol me too. After all jade seriously @sebby is cool, and everyone else are awesome friends

2018-10-30 00:41:57

@Jade
I was referring to when people asked for guides for other games and mentioned your name do to Manamon, you had a valid point about it taking allot of time, but you didn't handle your frustration very well.
And I was specifically talking about how the links in that article quite clearly showed topics being closed do to an argument that didn't actually get out of hand, but then you seemingly denying that, just kind of took me by surprise is all... Since your probably taking some of your cues from Dark's moderation style and most people seem to agree that the majority of those were decisions driven by fear.
It seems like you had basically no problem with Dark's more controversial decisions at all, and while critical thinking and not jumping on the bandwagon is obviously a good trait, I worry that your style could mirror his enough to also mirror his mistakes.
I guess it's a thin line between what's best for the site and what the people want, but you don't have a site without a community either.

Lets just say, much like I wouldn't pick my self, I wouldn't have picked you as a good choice for a mod. You can express your views even more clearly than me, but talk is pretty cheap in the end, I know I don't have the personality for it, and from your over all attitude shown in previous posts, I'm guessing you don't either.
Then again, some people can detach them selves to an impressive degree, and maybe your one of those, I'm just not sure yet and because the tension is still rather high, I fear that a misstep may send ag.net down the drain.
I just hope you guys make better communication a priority on the mod team, the up clone topics proved how indecisive and slow the moderation could be, and another incident like that could cause a spiral.
That said, I wish you all luck and I'm not looking to see any staff member fail just because I have some misgivings.

2018-10-30 02:35:54

I mean, while Jayde and I have had very differing opinions in the past, and while we both have gotten passionate during said discussions, I trust that Jayde is more than capable of stepping back from those passions to examine a situation with a level head. I don't know for certain, but as we are only a day or so in, I cannot make a truly solid judgement. The best I can do is wish Jayde the best. I would recommend we all do as such. Let's just see how this goes. So far, a day in, and I do not have too many complaints that I can think of right off the bat, so there's that. Well, anyways, my best wishes Jayde. I hope you do well. I'm looking forward to examining your performance. I am sure you will do well.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2018-10-30 03:12:09

Without trying to fan this whole thing back into a blaze again, I'd like to point out a fundamental logic split that's getting in the way here.
I read those threads Dark closed, and I don't deny that he closed them. But what you saw as fear, I saw as a desire to kill topics that were either in full combustion mode, or appeared to be at risk of doing so. I wasn't in Dark's head, but I strongly suspect that fear of being overthrown/overpowered was never foremost in his mind - or indeed, in his mind at all - when closing topics. And that's where I had (and still have) an issue with this whole business. it's fine to say that you think the desire to shut down a topic was hasty or unnecessary; I don't fully agree, but I hear you. But to assume why Dark was doing it is, in my estimation, a step out of logic and into pure supposition to support an agenda. Down that road I will not go.

I am studying to be a social worker. One of the things - one of many, of course - they teach you in my field of work is to know how to approach situations. You learn how to recognize your own biases (we all have them), and how to check them at the door, so to speak. Nobody's perfect, but I intend to go into every situation of potential conflict with as great an awareness of both my strengths and weaknesses as possible. I can promise you one thing right now. I am not afraid of what people have to say about me, and I will never feel motivated to close a topic because I want the last word or can't stand being scrutinized. I am relatively transparent, and to a reasonable degree I will explain my actions to an aggrieved party.

So why did I waste time with all that?
Simple. I want those who see my defense of Dark's actions to bear in mind that I am an individual. I have a different communication style. I have different opinions, different strengths, different challenges. My agreement with the majority of Dark's stance does not mean I want to begin my time here in his shadow. I am not a clone or a replacement, and would strongly prefer to be taken fully on my own merits rather than being evaluated in a potentially negative light because I happen to think that a loud group of forum users essentially assisted, to one degree or another, in a rather nasty bit of character assassination against someone I respect.
Dislike what I do purely for its own sake, and not because you are sorta kinda put in mind of someone else. I really do not want this situation to dog my time here on staff, if that's possible. Give me some rope. Hang me with it if I abuse this privilege. But it's my rope, for now.

And with that said, I am not going to field further comments or critiques of my character based solely or primarily upon the Dark situation. I've said all I can, and I risk perpetuating the very thing I wish to dispense with if I keep this up.

2018-10-30 06:35:12

wuw, @jade seriously, you are a cool moderator for the way things are going, or so i've noticed, you stepped in and spoke your mind in a way no one else would. Some people will just either show no mercy and throw out warnings without so much as trying to calm anyone down. You are excelent. I'm supporting you in every way, and hoping it works out for you.

2018-10-30 11:32:52

Jayde is apparently well deserved so far. Wish you the best of luck in your moderating duties.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2018-10-30 12:20:55 (edited by defender 2018-10-30 12:21:40)

Yeah, you've got a good point, I can't know exactly what Dark was thinking, it's what I feel I'd have done in his place if I felt overwhelmed and was on my own trying to keep a site together and not deal with the overload of stress, but I'm not him so it's not really fare to reflect my own concepts of normal onto him.
Either way, the way you dealt with my (admittedly rather mild) challenge kinda allays many of my fears. It's not what I set out to do, but their it is anyway LOL.
That said, you can rest assured that I'm not one of the people spouting off about calculated character assassinations and power plays and impulsive  crap like that at least... big_smile

2018-10-30 18:19:10

Congrats or, as a friend of mine used to say sometimes, conga rats, LOL.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2018-10-30 19:30:04 (edited by Mayana 2018-11-03 20:15:11)

Congratulations Jayde! Being a moderator is hard work, both a blessing and a curse, but I think you'll do well.
Edit: Well, perhaps thinking's not something I'm good at, eh? But I still hope for the best, hope dies last.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2018-10-31 08:43:08

ROFLMAO I like your friend Bryan