2018-10-29 14:13:52

Hi,
I would just like to echo what jades very first post on here says, Truely sad to see you step down And I just hope this doesn't turn into a madhouse from here on out.
big_smile

In all these 9 years that I have been a part of this forum you were a very amusing fixture around here big_smile and like you say I hope will continue to be so in the future as well, I have known you to be quite fare and a level headed administrator firm where required but this isn't a payed full time job is what some people tend to miss smile
Either way, all the best to you and if this gives you piece then so be it, good luck with whatever else you pick up next.
Grryf.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2018-10-29 15:40:33

Thoughts incoming

On the one hand, I didn't expect this, I expected nothing to change, being very cynical I expected nothing to happen with you so it was a pleasant shock.

On the other: Maybe this is a blessing in disguise for you, maybe the recent crises wwere signposting things to take note of, and maybe stepping down is the best for everyone

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-10-29 16:46:21 (edited by musicalman 2018-10-29 16:49:00)

I will echo the words of many here. When the BSG situation came to light I was completely overwhelmed with the vibes I knew it would produce. I'm glad the situation has some closure now. Dark, hats off to you for being able to admit to mistakes and that you may not be best-suited for being an admin. some people couldn't say that, though given the current situations here I couldn't blame you for your decisions. I know that even though you are not an admin, your humorous and insightful posts will not change and that you'll still be your regular self, and you can relax without trying to police the streets big_smile

Just curious, I see Jayde is now a moderator, is this recent? I didn't notice it before but I didn't check ranks much. If this is a recent thing, then I wish him well in his new duties!
Edit; He is indeed a new mod, see this thread.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2018-10-29 17:42:16

I would personally say that Dark stepping down is best for Dark, not best for everyone. But that's totally and 100% okay with me. This has to be Dark's choice, for his own reasons. To me at least, suggesting it's best for everyone further implies that the many have spoken, and the sacrificial offering has been made in order to restore peace. I'm not buying that at any price.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2018-10-29 18:37:53 (edited by Dark 2018-10-29 20:28:37)

@grryf I  sincerely hope this isn't going to turn into a mad house either, since I certainly am not going anywhere and definitely intend to keep helping as I can.

@Jase, I have never pretended to be %100 perfect or to never make mistakes since I am a human being, this decision though is more prompted by the conditions on the forum of late and frankly my feeling of being a little stressed out by the current climate.

@Musicalman, it is true that it'll be nice to get back to games and to writing about them rather than having to try to police people's behaviour. I hope for everyone's sakes that the over all climate of negativity I've seen recently on the forum will be changing though.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-10-29 19:12:09

oh dark i'm so sad. Yes i'm new in this forum but still it is bad. Good luck. sad

Yours kindly

2018-10-29 19:13:55

I'm glad to hear you won't be getting out of Dodge altogether as we Americans sometimes say. After all if memory serves I was the one who more or less pointed you in this direction thirteen years ago (has it really been that long)? As for the Walter situation I tried to stay out of it when it happened and I've kept my comments to myself since it was resurrected because I've considered both Dark and Lori to be good friends offline for many years and so I didn't want to be in a position where I felt like I might have to take sides. But I definitely look forward to the possibility of more castings of the pod in the future and I may have to get my old computer out and see if I can transfer the ones I have over to the new one. But I agree with Jayde in that I prefer to think of this decision as being best for Dark rather than what's best for the entire community. I know pretty damn well that I wouldn't be suited for any kind of moderative position if that's even an actual word.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2018-10-29 20:24:21 (edited by Dark 2018-10-29 20:27:34)

@giorgi , good luck to you too, though bare in mind I won't be going anywhere, you'll still be seeing me around.

@Wow Bryan, yes its been thirteen years since I first wound up on the forum, and fourteen years since I ran into you playing Sryth, you were the one who introduced me to shades of doom which then got me interested into audiogames generally, which obviously has had a major affect on my life.

that interest certainly hasn't changed, nor my desire to do what I can for this community, actually as I said I'm personally quite relieved at this point and sincerely wish my friends on the mod team all the best in keeping things running smoothly.

Btw, as regards previous castings of the pod, I do have an archive of everything I've done Hosted here on this sendspace folder so no need to look through old harddrives or similar.

Hopefully I'll have time to do more castings of the pod in the future, once of course I've played some more games.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-10-29 21:03:17

Yeah, I've wanted to get into more castings but a lack of good recording equipment/software has gotten in the way. These days any recording I do is Karaoke which I share via my Facebook, and yes there's a little shameless self-promotion going on here LOL.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2018-10-29 21:29:35

I'm very glad to hear your still doing news and DB stuff, that was what you were always best at anyway IMO.
And like you said, now you can catch up on games too, seems like your probably a few years behind... And maybe even do some more podcasting/voice stuff.
Despite the moderation problems over the years, I still thank you for keeping this community together, especially when it was just you.

2018-10-29 21:58:49

Unfortunately Dark I get file not available messages when I try to download anything from that sendspace archives.

2018-10-30 01:55:51

I'm not known to post a tun on this forum, but have been around for a long time. I wish you the best Dark, and am glad to know that you'll still be around with your witty and humorous news posts and such. This must have been a tough decision to make, but at least it can eventually become water under the bridge.

Stevie-3

2018-10-30 02:34:28 (edited by robomastr42 2018-10-30 02:38:28)

I’m a little late on this one by the looks of itt. I haven’t really been around these parts long enough to see much of you dark, however i wish you the best of luck with whatever you do in the future, and like many others am very glad your highly amusing news posts, not to mention ofon invaluable db entrys, which btw were the reason i found out about this website and audiogames in the first place, won’t be leaving us for good. smile

2018-10-30 07:41:22

@Bryan that is odd. a couple of files seemed to not be working correctly such as the BG hearts one and the fighting fantasy one, I've reuploaded them to sendspace, though they're also Available here on the audiogames archive

@Defender, I am not sure about "years behind" I've tried many things that have come out recently, but I haven't been able to spend as much time with games like a hero's call as  I would otherwise have wished that is certainly true.

@Stevie, actually as I said this comes as a relief more than anything else, since no longer having to deal with members behaviour will actually make my life easier and make it more possible for me to concentrate on other things.

@robomastr42, as i said previously I'm always pleased when people find the db useful, since a lot of work has gone into it in the past, and will definitely continue to in the future, indeed I need to get around to restoring the updates that were made in August before the forum crash, then go on to adding extra games and expanding some entries for existing ones.

2018-10-30 11:44:04

we're not robots, we are humans
we all have immotions, and they can sometime result of us doing rong things. but the importent part is figuring out and trying to fixing it, you have done it right. but i have never seen a bad thing from you anyway.

2018-10-30 12:14:22

Yeah that's what I meant, the big more action heavy titles.

2018-10-30 13:43:47

Does this mean you will be leaving us? I know you will be updating the news, but will you still be able to engage in topics with us?

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2018-10-30 13:44:59

Also, may you please remove the exclusive room? No one ever uses it anymore.

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2018-10-30 13:47:45

hey dark speaking of the db is there a textspaced entry for it? because it certainly deserves one.

2018-10-30 16:58:45

RTT entertainment wrote:

Does this mean you will be leaving us? I know you will be updating the news, but will you still be able to engage in topics with us?

No he will still be here on the forums, but he will basically be a regular member, not an admin.

2018-10-30 17:01:27

Ah thanks Dark. Now the only one I'll have to go to my old laptop for is the ice bucket challenge you did a few years back muahahahaha! But I'm sure he'll be able to engage in topics when life permits.

2018-10-30 19:39:53 (edited by Mayana 2018-11-02 07:59:28)

You were a great admin, Dark. Sure, you screwed up a few times, but I don't think most of those screw ups were nearly as problematic as some make them out to be. I participate on a forum where there are no clear rules and admins just ban you if they think you're an annoying retard, so it could be worse.
It's a pity you'll no longer be an admin, but after all these years you deserve to have a rest and retire. I'm sure the other mods and admins will be able to run this place just as well. Thank you for all your hard work, and I wish you all the best.

Edit: After reading up more on the situation, I regret being so nice in my post. No, it's not a pity you're no longer an admin, I'm glad you aren't. At first I thought that Walter's ban happened because you didn't have enough information, and so decided to believe the victim, which still makes it very unreasonable; but much less so than the reality. You had more than enough information, you just decided to ignore it.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2018-10-31 01:57:42

@omer thanks for that, yes I am definitely a human being, never pretended to be anything else big_smile.
@Mayana, I've never wanted the forum to be like that, since I've been on forums you describe and they aren't fun. Currently though things have just got waaaaaay too problematic, and frankly I'd like to get back to games and writing about them.
Indeed, this is where I can answer Darren's question since yes, text spaced definitely needs an entry, but as I said I've had less time and energy for game playing after I've been trying to sort out the Drama.

As to removing the exclusive room, well that's a matter to take up with the current staff.
At the time it was created there was obviously the audio playcenter and dutch students were still putting up games from their audio game design course as well as games like Snella and Sudosan, but obviously this hasn't happened for a very long time.
@Bryan, nope the ice bucket is still around Find it here on sendspace (I just checked this one so I know the sendspace goblins haven't been at it).

2018-10-31 02:54:34 (edited by musicalman 2018-10-31 02:55:50)

About the exclusive games, I enjoyed looking at a lot of those games, and there are a couple I get a lot of enjoyment from today, so it would be ashame just to forget them. I don't think the links in the exclusive room are up anymore but I could be wrong, I haven't searched it exhaustively. I'd say get permanent hosting for as many games as possible for historical preservation, preferably on agarchive.net, and be done with it. I have some of the old games lying around so could help provide copies to people who can host, but that's for another day and another thread.

2018-10-31 08:40:16 (edited by defender 2018-10-31 08:41:26)

@Mayana
Agreed, their are tons of unapologetic, horribly run forums out their, Dark made some mistakes, but their nothing compared to what they could have been, and he did the right thing at the end of it, which counts for allot in my book!