2018-10-08 09:11:17

Hey guys, It has been quite a while since I've posted on here but I super extra fantasticly love the game, it is simple yet complex and great for spending hours of time, and I managed to only hit my head against the wall only half a dozen times which is great!
Some suggestions since I have finished the game mostly for game play value and long term play,
1. possibly make a score board option in the main menu to show how many dragons you have defeated, such as 1 black 0 red what not, so that you can challenge yourself to defeat all seven dragons.
2. possibly put in a dragon death match mode where instead of 1 dragon to defeat in the end you need to defeat all seven.
3. some sort of use for the merchant ship for the villagers, I notidced it has 0 of 0 capacity but thought it would be hilarious to send villagers up river with the merchant either to have quicker access to recruits or to sell trade goods swifter, or maybe just for story effect.
4. add in after story rewards that may remain hidden, or achievements such as successfully maintaining 150 villagers for 50 days, successfully keeping all villagers alive for a given time period, the expansion of more buildings for the king, or even more building options to add in at the end to fill in the rest of the map were once hills and forests lay.
5. is to add in extra uses for the forest and hills after they've been whiped, such as hunting parties that bring in meat, or miners mining ore in the hills.
The last thing I wanted to say on here are some quick pointers to completing the quests and objectives sooner, something I didn't think about until I thought I had used all options for villagers.
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
Most of the quest rewards aren't gotten by normal places you would think to find them, rather it is hented that they would be so check all similar or nearby locations.
Also consider the places that it seems rediculous to send villagers, some times you will get some interesting messages you didn't expect.
The last is to stay alive make the following your priority in all points of the game no matter what is going on, 1. food production, keep grain super priority and bread making after that. if you can stock pile do it, don't worry about defending against outlaws until you can focus on food, it is the main drive to keeping you alive. 2 village production, keep your cottages full and new villagers will arrive, and when you can spare send them to hungry town or what not and bring in new people. Third is watch attacks, move villagers from the fields if you've got enough grain or if theres a drout, and keep the rest in the bread making and baby making. the farm is great but bread is produced much quicker overall. and the last thing is don't over think things, once you get going you'll find you have enough villagers to do things like hunt down wolves and or do the witches bidding. which reminds me, during it all you must must must put some people in the tavern until you get a few people arriving, as that seems to be the main story driving factor in the game until you get them all.
Happy village management, I hope to see more from you rocky, this game is fabulous, perhapse a greedy city and a hungry city as sequals? tongue

don't look back, cause you'll loose the road ahead.

2018-10-08 13:56:49 (edited by grryfindore 2018-10-08 14:22:42)

Hi,
Thank you SirBadger.
I managed to finish the game, that is defeat the dragon at last on day 106 could've been quicker but I delayed to try and find the dam rings toad goat, but unfortunately didn't manage to find even 1 of them. sad
Edit, after a little thought, I tried something. and I indeed was able to find the frog. and as they say, once you figure one, the rest comes easy. big_smile
So now I have the quests completed, the dragon defeated, and more money in my pocket than what I know what to do with. wish it was so in reale life wink but eh. Seriously, fun game and I for one enjoyed it.

Below request for help is outdated, but I'll leave it be.
At SirBadger and anyone else that maybe willing to help me out  here lol.
spoilers ahead!

spoilers wrote:

Yeah, I thought of the toad being lost after the flud, so I'd guess probably either the dike or the fields, where I had workers deployed for a few rounds along with a few at the whitches house and the orical, but like I said, nothing happened.
I also had the villagers hunting in the hills and the forest but they turned up empty as well.
The rivers I had going on for so long, that the dam thing must've been nearly emptied out of anything in there, so I am basicly out of ideas here.

Aye, agree with all that austen said, and would've suggested the same as him her for the unused hills and the forest after the wolvs and the outlaws are cleared out,but wasn't sure if there's something in there like a quest objective hidden that makes them useful.
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, β€˜It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2018-10-08 15:50:43 (edited by Niklas 2018-10-08 15:57:17)

Maybe more quests could be added for longer Play time. Possibly other People than the wich could give you theier own quests as well. Maye side quests could be possible as well.

2018-10-08 20:27:18

Yeah this game is nice, but I can't say the same for that first gold dragon I ran into.
I was slowly ground down because I couldn't manage the literally killing pace it set on my food.
Anyway, very fun! Those toad  and ring quests stumped me as well for a while.

2018-10-08 22:35:20

Hi. I finished the game and it was kool. I can say that a longer story will make it more playable. It wasn't  easy to complete it but to be exact, I would like some exploring, searching treasures, sounds while people are working. For example peasants working, church sounds while the preasts are praying, fishing sounds, etc.
The sounds are kool, nice story, so rocky, keep up the good work.

2018-10-08 22:40:36

Would it be possible to remove some of the extra text created by upgrades?

2018-10-10 12:53:17

Grate Game! The only change I'd make is to have an item disappear from the merchant menu after it has been bought. Keep it up!

2018-10-11 07:45:55

Hi.
Would it be possible to make the game take less resources of the computer? I'm using a virtual machine on my Mac. It takes up nearly all the resources.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-10-11 09:19:07

SLJ, I really do not think its dragon village doing that.  It has been tested on a whacked out old netbook and sucks up almost no resources.  Being turn based, the main game loop refreshes the screen on a very slow tick rate.  I have set this to just 15 per second.  60 per second is more usual for games, but I saw no reason to do this on dragon village.  RPGTank, good point, I could remove the items for sale that have been bought, wondering why I did not do it that way.  keithwipf1, I could remove some of that clutter, I was trying to let folks know their upgrades were making a difference, but you are probably right, its a bit overdone.  I have grouped these 3 responses together as they are all balance issues that affect game quality and player enjoyment.  Such dialogue, along with the many other suggestions is a massive help.  If a suggestion does not make it into a dragon village update, it will still be on the list of considerations for my next project.

Try my free games and software at www.rockywaters.co.uk

2018-10-11 19:42:52

Hi, Phoenix here. I really like this game. I am having an issue. I go to buy the ring from the merchant and Wanda's ring needs to be upgraded. Where do I find Wanda's ring so I can upgrade the ring to deal with that dragon?

Phoenix

2018-10-11 20:27:54

There are spoilers relating to the ring in some of the above posts.  If that does not help, then there is a topic in the off topic room about a missing cheese.  If you find the ring, please let me know what happened to the cheesefairs fair, even if you make it up.

2018-10-11 22:33:55

Does the game contain graphics? I would assume so as I found an option in the menu to change the background color, but I just wanted to make sure.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-10-12 00:19:04

yes it has basic high contrast graphics.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-10-12 08:06:26

@Rocky Waters: Two minutes after I start the game, the fan starts to spin. Five minutes later, it goes to maximum speed. When I close the game again, it went silent a few minutes afterwards.
Any clue on what to try?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-10-12 08:22:04

Okay so given post 1 said auto screenreader detection, is it self voicing? I was gonna give this a shot on WINE but not sure if that'd work with SAPI

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-10-12 12:18:30

@slj it has been tested on a 1.6ghz netbook and a few very low powered laptops so I don't know what's going on there.

@JaseK it works with sappi in windows. I don't think it was ever tested in a virtual environment but that could actually be the problem slj is having

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-10-12 12:55:46

Yeah its self voicing if you don't have a screen reader it will use Sapi and if you have both you can swap between them.  Give it a go, its free.  SLJ I don't know what to say, wondering if its something to do with running it on a virtual machine.  Do you have issues with other programs? or issues with any of my other releases?  Also is anyone else out there running it on a virtual machine, it is something I was not able to test.

2018-10-12 16:20:56

Hmm I don't mind the upgrade messages, just attach them to the end of the line or something.

2018-10-16 00:48:51

Dragon village has been out 2 weeks now and I am wondering how folks find the game balance.  Has anyone managed to complete the game on the stressful difficulty level?  Has anyone found the relaxing level too difficult?

2018-10-16 17:00:54

Until now, I only played the Relaxing difficulty Level and as soon as the Dragon Shows u p, I die sooner or later. Other than this slight Frustration, the game is very well done.
Also, the Background Music is a Little boring and would - in my opinion - rather be Fitting as a lullaby.
Except for that, awesome game!

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2018-10-16 23:23:33

Hi, phoenix here. I still cannot find Wanda's ring. Where do I look?

Phoenix

2018-10-17 16:21:38

Look in the off topic room, you will find a topic about a missing cheese.  You will not find the cheese, but you will find the ring.

2018-10-17 20:06:48

love the game, definitely donating. reminds me of cast aways. I was doing pretty good, made it past 10 days with a healthy village, then things just started going down hill lol, but think I have a better grasp of the game now, so things should be very different next go round. once again man good game, I have not one bad thing to say about it. very addictive as well. tip for those who are struggling, get a grasp on the tasks that move your village forward for example the different things that can produce food very quickly, things that can help grow your village by more people coming in and what not. just really pay close attention to the game, and the game should come a little easier to you. not that it should really be needed, but if anyone wants an audio tutorial to the game I can put one together if the demand for it is pretty decent

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2018-10-17 20:20:03

ahhhh I was wondering how some of you completed the game so quickly, and I see some were playing on relaxed which is basically the easy mode. you guys had me thinking I was a bit dumb for a second for failing so fast on the interesting mode lol

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2018-10-17 22:32:35

I was also on Interesting, but I was very lucky and got a Gold dragon. It took me a couple of times to figure out both how to get key characters I needed, and that I should really focus on food stockpiles, but after that, I got to the dragon, and it was a nice Gold dragon. Which only eats your food provided you have food. No idea what it does if you do not have food to feed it...

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"