2018-10-10 21:28:18

Hello,

It would be nice if topics that are older than 1-3 months could be automatically closed, so that people can't post to topics that are years or even decades old. I know phpbb can do this, but I don't know if there's a similar extension that exists for PunBB.
Any thoughts?

Thanks.

2018-10-11 01:00:28

I feel like 1 to 3 months is a bit extreme, although I know somebody pulled up a thread from 2014. One thing though is that I've seen where somebody has a question, creates a topic about it, but doesn't fully get an answer then due to being buried. Along comes a newbie with the same question. A lot of forums don't want you to create a topic that already exists.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2018-10-11 02:22:42

Please for the love of crap, this needs to happen.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-10-11 03:59:42

I see nothing wrong with resurrecting an old thread as long as the reason for doing it is on topic.

The only place I can see where such a feature is appropriate is if a forum is about current affairs, or something similar, where topics have a limited life span.

2018-10-11 09:36:37

I'm afraid I agree with Orko on this one.
It's easy enough to read just the end of a topic if its an old one after all, and there are far too many necessary long running topics, from forum specific ones like the name change requests topic, to ones about specific games such as the huge swamp topic.
Then of course there are topics with necessary sporadic interest, for example I bring up the books by stephen king topic again everytime I read a new one.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-10-11 15:43:11

I personally think, a 3 year limit is more than enough. if the topic didn't get a response over 3 years, it can be closed down safely. but that's just my view.

2018-10-12 07:03:36

There use to be a website that had this feature.

Threads would automatically be locked after one year of inactivity.

I'm not sure if it would work for this place, I guess if the discussion continues it would, but most of the time I've seen threads brought back, only for the question to be asked, is this game still being worked on?

Then you have the rare occasion where some will resurrect a thread for no apparent reason other than to get a reaction out of people, and the sad thing is, most people fall for it.