2018-10-09 18:56:29

I got a log drum a couple of days or so ago, and thought I'd make a demo of it for those who might not have heard of one. They're fun to mess around with. I also mention a few other novel instruments I like to noodle about on for fun. Here's a link to the clip for anyone who might be interested, and I would like to hear any demos of interesting instruments people might have as I know there are a lot of musicians on here.
http://anyaudio.net/listen?audio=tbezJ9dOwlun

2018-10-09 19:04:43

I have messed around with something called a thunder tube. I saw them when I was in Austin for a while. I really want to buy one!

2018-10-09 20:18:09

How unusual is unusual? I guess I have one of those frog things. Or rather, I own one of those frog things but it's currently in storage (or it was last week, at least).
Most of my novelty instruments came from EPCOT, where I tried to get at least one instrument from each country in the showcase. This was mostly small things, like bells and hand-drums. I don't know the names of some of them. But at the same time, they aren't the most obscure instruments from the countries in question, since they're being sold to tourists at Disney World. So I have bagpipes and a pan flute and that drum with the beads on strings, but nothing so interesting as a log-drum or kora or Mbira or nose-flute.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-10-09 20:27:51

Yeah, I suppose the term unusual is relative. I guess I was coming at it from the perspective of Western popular music. So I suppose anything outside of the usual orchestra/rock band. Like folk instruments from around the world and stuff. I get the impression most people on here primarily play keyboards, with a few guitarists and drummers too, and a few classically trained musicians. A log drum was unusual to me because I hadn't heard of one until a few days ago.

2018-10-09 21:41:03

I think my favorite non western instrument is probably the Erhu, and the mythology behind it just makes it even cooler. but I also think Mongolian throat singing is pretty awesome, though it doesn't fall into the instrument category very well...
Wintergotan, that marble machine guy on youtube did a series on unique automatic instruments that was really cool, he's got a playlist and I'd check it out if I were you, it's pretty neat, though I think it would be even more interesting if I could see it.

2018-10-09 22:37:32 (edited by the_ruler_of_dark_forces 2018-10-09 22:38:38)

Yeah, thunder tube is quite cool, or at least I hope we are talking about the same thing. Mine is a kind of silindrical instrument with a long spring at one end. When shook it makes a sound which kind of resembles thunder.
I also have a jew's harp or jaw harp, I've read and heard both forms of this instrument. I guess many of you are familiar with the sound of it, but perhaps not the name of the instrument, so here are a couple of examples. These also show that you can play actual melodies on a jaw harp and not only some crazy noises:
https://soundcloud.com/gerth-jaanim-e/pohjala-avarused
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQMCEhr8RV4
I also have a didgeridoo, which sounds like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5BWC7-r6w4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE1KFdA3p1o
Which reminds me a really cool group called Airtist, which mix together  jaw harp, didgeridoo and beatbox. They try to imitate electronic music without the electronic instruments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o98jK2-uCsY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKtZ0JsOMsk

2018-10-09 22:45:37

What is the mythology behind the erhu... I am now officially intrigued.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-10-10 01:47:08

This guy called nadishana also does some incredible things on jaw harp. And you can buy his handmade harps and flutes. I have some.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbwCpO9XXTE

2018-10-10 01:54:26

Well I got a jews harp today that I ordered a few days ago and I'm just starting out with it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-10-10 03:53:24

It's something about how each string represents an element and how they work together in harmony.

2018-10-10 06:07:17

As I'm a tribal wind player myself, and Since I'm not western and never play or try orchestral instruments except the sax which I don't have as my own, here's the list of instruments I have.
Klui: there're three sizes of this Thai flute, but I only have two, Klui Lib, the small, high one, and Phiang-o, the medium. I have 5 Klui Lib and 5 Klui Phiang-o.
Seung: there're many sizes and various string patterns of this Lanna lute as well, from small to very large and from two string pairs to three. So far, I have the small and medium two paired ones.
Lanna Ching: my tribal circles. I have one.
Hulusi: originally a historical Tai made instrument and are now Chinese, I have one of these gorgeous reed gourd flute in my possession.
Wot: a Tai-isan pan flute. I have a broken one with me and can't even play it well.
Besides that, I have a yamaha recorder which isn't suppose to be in this list since it's well known, lol.
I plan to collect every instruments I can play, and never hesitate to try others. Who knows, may be one day I'll have my own Kiowa or Anasazi flute.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2018-10-10 07:12:40

Kazoo. Nuff said

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-10-10 07:44:18

@defender, I think you're talking about a different instrument. The erhu has two strings and is similar to the violin, and with five elements in Chinese traditional beliefs two strings wouldn't cover them. big_smile the pipa which is much more like a banjo is what you're thinking, if I'm correct. The five parts of its body represent the five elements from Chinese taoism, and the four strings represent the four seasons of the year.

2018-10-10 08:21:42

The only instrument, usual or unusual I currently have is an old accordion. It has been produced at least 100 years ago and is still going strong. smile
There is not anything special about it I'd say. I like its keys. They are easy to press and that's what's good for my fingers which are trained to play on smooth keyboards.
I regret I've let my accordion down by engaging in other activities. Having the ability to well-play a music instrument is a unique skill that gives you enormous joy.

2018-10-10 14:57:49

@13, I believe you're talking about a chinese instrument, which is similar to a Cambodian traditional instrument called "Tror." It has two strings, and the down side of the instrument is maid from bamboo which cover by the snake's skin at the front.

2018-10-10 18:48:42 (edited by defender 2018-10-10 18:50:21)

Oh okay thanks, I guess I did get that mixed up.
It's really cool that it has both elements and seasons, and the elements aren't all the typical ones either.
Chinese folk music and associated culture is just pretty interesting period.

2018-10-10 19:10:37

I used to have this south american flute that I think is called a quena. My family also has a big wooden block thing that's hollow and when you hit certain parts on the top, it sounds like the different notes on a xylophone. I don't know what it's called though. We also use to have these 2 instruments that felt kind of like a row of thin boards attached to a string or piece of cloth and you moved them back and forth. One of them came along with a frog drum from some relatives when they were staying in Guam. I don't know what either of them is called though. The frog drum had a stick with a string at one end and a small drum like thing at the other end. We also used to have 2 small ocarina-like things, an old electric organ that was so old it could hardly produce anything that didn't sound like an 8 bit video game, a native american flute made from a plastic pipe, something that kind of looked like 2 different sized cow bells stuck together, and maybe a few more that I can't remember at the moment. Right now I have a ukulele, but that's not exactly unusual. My roommate has a hulusi, and I can somehow play it farely well after only 1 or 2 long practices. I can't play that much with it yet, but considering I can never seem to get anything beyond recorders and bottles to make sounds, I am kind of surprised that I could figure out how to play part of something I heard on youtube after 1 time. Right now, I think I can play a little more than her, but if she picks it up, she will be far better than me soon.

2018-10-10 19:28:12

One thing I hate about playing Hulusi is that I somehow can't seem to cut the tail notes at the start and the end with ease. I can play it well enough. Only that part bugs me.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2018-10-10 19:28:44

@15, it sounds similar. I am indeed talking about the Chinese erhu, which is made entirely of wood, from what I remember seeing.

2018-10-10 20:59:35

I had a thing which i don't know it's name. But it was a circular plastic solid thing with two circular thin plastic pieces on each side of the solid plastic thing. Two pieces of yarn were connected to the front and back of the solid plastic thing and a handle connected to the down side of it. We would take it by that handle and twist it left and right in a special speed and the little balls that were connected to each of those yarns would hit those plastic pieces on each side of the solid plastic thing and it'd make a funny sound like cartoon drums. I don't know their name but I had more than one of them when i was a child and i'd break them always hehehe.
I had a bells instrument which i think it lasted for 5 years or about that. I used to mess that one up as well. Don't blame me I was just a child which knew not much from music hehehehe. But seriously that bells had a special sound which i still can remember.

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2018-10-10 21:13:32

Don't know if it's unusual, but I've got a lute.
Greetings,
Ciri, the witcher

Greetings,
Ciri, the Witcher
(If you want to get in touch with me, contact me via twitter (ciri1240)

2018-10-10 22:39:22

I've got a quina as well which sounds really cool and an ocarina, which is a nightmare to learn to play and I've never mastered it. has 4 holes on 1 side and 2 on the back if I remember rite. been a while since I got annoyed and stuck it in a draw.

and of course, I do have a kazoo. everybody should have a kazoo. although talking of unusual, you can buy electric kazoos with a humbucker pickup on them. very strange concept but if you hook them up to some decent effects peddles they actually sound amazing. I've never invested in one though.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-10-11 02:38:46

You guys make me want to try them lol.

2018-10-11 02:50:22

lol @23 you really should get a kazoo. they're fun and anybody can play one. still wish I'd invested in an electric one though.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-10-11 05:13:29

@Assault_freak

Yes, that is the instrument I was talking about. The top is maid from wood.