2018-10-09 04:48:12

Probably between the chair and the keyboard...  who knows.  lol

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-10-09 10:47:58 (edited by flackers 2018-10-09 12:55:46)

that's a phrase IT workers reserve for people they think are idiots. I've been using Waves GTR for years. It was me who told you about it in the first place, but you've probably forgotten that. I've tried to help people, including you,  by describing what the toolrack does to get them started and now you're smugly insulting me. You weren't even using the toolrack until I told you what it did a couple of days ago, and now you're already being condescending about it. If it seems like I'm over-reacting, I just found that quite insulting, and it's not the first time you've showed a superior attitude toward me.

2018-10-09 13:00:33 (edited by G-Rad 2018-10-09 13:15:20)

Hey bro, before this gets thrown out of alignment, I wanted to make note that the phrase was never meant to be taken  with ignorance of any kind in mind.  We use it in the local music scene and it's used with a joking mentality.  Ironically, when the phrase came up, for the first time me hearing it, we were talking about an actual keyboard player. lol.  SO please, don't think I meant anything negative  because that was not what I was thinking at all.

I apologize if this  came across the wrong way.  And as far as the whole superior attitude?  I  would never intentionally  claim to be above anyone for I am just the same as everyone, and if that was ever the case, I apologize for that, too.    I just try to be helpful with what I can and I'm not always good with words.

I do remember very clearly that you told me about Waves plugins, and I'm very appreciative of that.   I can definitely say that these plugins have definitely made my workflow, and I'm sure yours, and other users' much easier.  and the accessibility, intentional or not, has made a huge difference, I think.   

BTW  apparently, they mention accessibility with voiceover on their website, from what  AssaultFreak has mentioned, and I thought that was pretty cool, so for anyone who reads this  that uses Mac, these plugins should work for you guys as well..

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-10-09 14:35:02 (edited by flackers 2018-10-09 14:55:01)

Okay. That was a very gracious response. Forgive my outburst. I've only ever heard that phrase used by IT workers when they're referring to someone who doesn't know what they're doing but blames the computer. I've doubtless been misinterpreting things. Respect.

2018-10-09 15:52:53

Thank you for being open about understanding.  That's hard to find these days.  Believe me, most times, when someone says something, and it was taken the wrong way, the person on the receiving end would not even listen to reason. 

By the way, how is your drumming coming along?  If I recall you  got a kit a year or so ago, and I was curious how that's going for you.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-10-09 18:51:05 (edited by flackers 2018-10-09 18:52:02)

I have ups and downs with the drumming. I'm still persisting , but I have fallow periods where I don't touch it for a while. I find I get to a certain level, then can't progress much beyond it for quite a while. Like I find myself playing the same old beats that come easiest. I still have trouble with fills. Though my fills started sounding a little better when I listened to some isolated drum tracks, and noticed people tended to get a little busier with the kick as well as the snares and toms. I had been neglecting the kick during fills, so they always sounded detached and weak. I was also neglecting the fundamental groove as I tried to do anything more complex. That's true of my guitar playing as well though. I often find when I get busy, I feel the basic eb and flow of the groove evaporate. Another thing is, I find it very hard to hear the intricacies of drums on recordings. It just seems to get lost in the mix. It's pretty easy to transcribe a guitar part, but drums have all that ghosting that gets buried in the mix, so I find it difficult to learn by listening to others because a lot of what makes them great is under the surface if you know what I mean.

2018-10-09 21:11:38

I hear ya man.  it's hard to step out of a pattern  sometimes for me too.  I just start listening for something else in the mix like the bass or keys or something and following that because that gives me something more to experiment with, like the key accents or bass strums. if this makes any sense.    Playing by ear is something that really cannot be teached, and at the same time is one of the most difficult things anyone can really do from my personal opinion.

Hope it works for you tough.  I don't think I've ever heard any music of yours, then again I'm unsure if you have anything posted anywhere.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-10-10 07:40:48

I think it depends on the style you listen to. I can more or less perfectly pick out most drum parts from any classic rock song from the 70s to late 80s, as well as 90s pop and any country. Of course, who produces the track has a huge impact on it too.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-10-10 12:41:09

Hi. Does gtr work with windows 7? I don't know but no matter what I did, I can't install it. I tried running an offline installer but when I click install, it says:
Sorry. There was an error while preparing.

2018-10-10 12:48:55

It should work with windows 7 SP1 and above, according to specs.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-10-10 12:58:52

Yeah, I'm running it on win7. I seem to remember having trouble with the offline installer myself. Think waves central is the only way to go, but when I installed GTR a few years ago, waves central wasn't accessible with jaws, and the OCR results were hit and miss, so I got sighted, and it went okay. Think you sign in and there's an option called easy install that shows youa list of the stuff you've bought, and you just select it and go. But if you're getting errors, Waves are probably the people you need to speak to.

2018-10-10 16:16:45

The PRS Supermodels plugin is very nice.  Only thing I noticed is the cabinets are the only thing not listed/labeled in the parameters, but it does mention options 0 through 8 and it's all selectable, so at the very least, we have that.     IT's probably determinable to tell what cab is what when you  select a preset and go see what cabinet is  highlighted.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-10-10 16:49:35

I'm very curious to hear tones of the prs bundle.. PRS is a guitar maker and they don't make amps, as far as I know. Unless the name refers to the rigs that Paul Reed Smith himself used.

2018-10-10 19:01:54

Yes they do make amps, and yes it's  that PRS.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-10-10 21:03:44

Uh damn that PRS, it's pretty awesome! I have to save again and buy that plug-in smile

2018-10-10 21:03:56

Have you tried CLA guitars?

2018-10-10 21:20:20

No I haven't yet.  I did make this video with the PRS Supermodels though.

https://youtu.be/VtRVzmWYTvA

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-10-10 21:38:27

Those definitely aren't half bad, especially for the heavier tones. I would disagree just slightly with it being hard to find a good amp to make your neck pickup sound good when overdriven. lol

2018-10-10 22:44:08

For my particular guitar, it's not easy, lol.  there are some tones that do it justice, but not all of them, for they will start to sound muddy

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-10-11 01:24:22

fair enough.. and I can't say that much, not having played the model of guitar you have. But in my experience, you can get a workable tone out of any guitar / pickup / amp combination provided you know how to tweek. But I'm noone to talk, I still have ways to go... lol

2018-10-11 02:51:03 (edited by flackers 2018-10-11 02:53:21)

Wow, those PRS amps are pretty sweet. Don't think I've ever had that much fun playing through just a straight amp sim with no FX. There's some lovely hard rock tones in there. Couple of things regarding installation. I too got an error while trying to install. Turned out it was due to my having an old version of waves central. I was on 1.2 or something, and the latest one is 2 point something or other, so I was way behind. Everything went okay with the new version installed. Well okay in terms of I got it installed with some garbled OCR results and some unlabelled checkboxes that I just guessed were the PRS stuff. Another thing was I noticed the waveshell had gone from v9 to v10, and it appears v10 isn't compatible with sonar 8.5, which  I continue to use because of the caketalking scripts. Think this might be a nail in its coffin. I'm drifting towards reaper slowly but surely. I've already been using it for acoustic stuff because it's so quick to load up tracks compared to sonar, and now I think I'll be using it for electric too.

2018-10-11 04:25:17

wow, thanks a whole bunch for the videos! if you don't mind, those would be superb for the wiki. I will also update the reaper manual to the latest version which is out now. You guys rock, (in every musical sense of the word, too)
I am a pianist... with a recent addition of several synths and so on so cannot comment much on drumming except that I love the pads my newest keyboard has for sampling.. if that is anywhere close to drumming hehe.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-10-11 05:30:24

Yes you can use my videos,and I have a couple more to come.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-10-11 08:04:43

Thanks G-Rad for the videos! They're very.. rad? Can I use that? I was going to make ademo myself, but I guess there's no need for that anymore. lol Love them.. and the PRS video was great too! Not my style to play, but I love the tones for sure.

2018-10-11 15:47:53 (edited by flackers 2018-10-11 15:48:28)

I was having fun with the PRS and Waves IR1, so I did a little demo. The Waves IR1 isn't as accessible as some of their other stuff. There's a lot missing in the parameters list. But I don't think convolution reverb is supposed to be messed around with to much anyway. Below is a link to the page where I found the free IR pack I'm using. I mistakenly call it the PCM 480L, but it's just the 480L from Lexicon. I was mixing it up with the PCM90.
Demo:
http://anyaudio.net/listen?audio=4ekzw9Olm2X

IR packs page:
http://www.resoundsound.com/4-impulse-r … rb-packs/.