2018-10-08 07:24:44 (edited by Caccio72 2018-10-08 07:27:38)

Here is what a certain moderator, the chief of the moderators even, has performed in one of the games, which I have once even recommended here:

He has simply put for a vote, who to ban for 10 days from the game's forums and message walls.
And he proclaimed this decision of his as a mere joke, aka gag.

So, he just let the whole player-community decide, who they want to be banned for that period.

Normally, the most "votes" were given to least popular community members in general.

Then, after the voting was over, he indeed banned the 3 "winner" users for 10 days, without them committing any bannable offense, or breaking, violating any of the game-rules.

If you ask me, this is definitely not how online moderators are meant to function, such a behavior is totally unworthy of them.
They should find, and determine themselves, who broke the rules, and who to sanction for it.

Letting the whole community decide this instead of them, it's not only purposely neglecting their own duty, but also an official permission for online "lynching" less popular members, without any valid proof/evidence of any bannable offense committed by them.

And claiming this as a mere joke, a gag to have a good laugh about, that is something even less worthy of an online moderator.
(especially when he knows, how vitally important online communication is for a community member, who he predicts for the one of the "winners" of this "gag-contest" of his.
Now, because of this "joke", that player won't be able to communicate on that website, (which was the favorite of his by now), without committing any offense to deserve his punishment.

Even jokes/gags are supposed to have their sensible moral limits, and this certain moderator has crossed those by far!

Now, I am curious to hear, how you guys think about this matter, please, do share your oppinions about it here!

Thumbs up

2018-10-08 07:34:58 (edited by Dan Gero 2018-10-08 07:43:18)

@Caccio72 You're wondering what we think about it. Well, here's what I think about it. Assuming you're talking about the forum mods here, do you have any tangible evidence of this alleged banning spree taking place. If you don't, stop spreading roomers like this, because you may get banned for it and you'll deserve it. The only evidence I'll except is a link to the topic where he said and acted on these things. If you're not talking about this forum, the same applies, don't spread roomers unless you have evidence. However, if what you're stating is true, I definitely agree, joking definitely does have it's moral limits before it crosses the line between joking and trolling. This particular offense has definitely crossed that line, although it's not the worst offense I've ever seen. Still, mods should not be acting like that.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-10-08 07:52:39

No, as I said, I am referring to a game, which I have even suggested here once before, to our community members.

Oh, I forgot to mention:
That so called "voting" initialized by that certain chief moderator, was conducted in a specific, separate forum section, which, according the rules of the game and website, was supposed to have no direct influence on the game itself.

Thumbs up

2018-10-08 08:13:33

And I won't tell the name of the game here either, at least yet, (unless you deliberately insist), after all it did provide me so much fun and entertainment in these last, round 16 months, So I do not wish to discredit it now, but am hoping, how that certain moderator will still come to his senses, and reconsider his decision.

Thumbs up

2018-10-08 09:00:50

Moderation!

As this is vaguely game related I'm going to move it to general game discussion.

Well, this sounds pretty ridiculous to me, and definitely not a good way to run a website or moderate responsibly.
Needless to say we would never do that here.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-10-08 09:22:36 (edited by Caccio72 2018-10-08 09:50:51)

Thank you for agreeing with me on this.

I intend to suggest, (as soon I will be allowed to participate at the game's communications again), to elect someone more competent, more responsible and suitable to the role of chief moderator, this current one was appointed not too long ago anyway, and is obviously not fit and capable, or just unwilling to perform his duties properly.

Thumbs up

2018-10-08 09:47:54 (edited by Caccio72 2018-10-08 10:42:10)

The most "funny" thing is, that in his reply to my protest, instead of reconsidering his incompetent action and decision, he even accuses me of multi-accounting, for accordingly suspecting a player to be my multi, while I am so proud of my unique characters in games, and my unique personality in real life, that I never needed, nor wanted any multis, my "overinflated" self-esteem would never allow it to me anyway, even if I would ever become tempted of it.

So I always feel offended and revolted by such absurd and ridiculous accusations, but still had to listen, and endure quite a lots of them in my, pretty long, online gameing carreer.

Thumbs up

2018-10-08 11:42:11

i believe i know what game you are speaking about, and doing that is a shame for  moderators

2018-10-08 12:43:02

Just curious what game this is? I haven’t herd of any game like this, unless it’s a mud.

Thumbs up

2018-10-08 14:14:01

It doesn't matter to me what game this is, if the community of players of this game accept this kind of bad behavior from a moderator, it's not a game I would ever consider playing, at least not with that bunch of players anyway. It just shows a complete lack of respect and or consideration for the players of the game.

Thumbs up

2018-10-08 15:19:07

Yes, I agree with @orko here, but it would be good to know what game to avoid lol

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-10-08 17:02:53

I'm curious as well now. It's probably not one of those I'm on right now anyway, but heck, it sounds meh. I can't really jump to conclusion for certain though since I'm not there and this is only the post owner's side I heard from.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

Thumbs up

2018-10-08 17:28:09

@Caccio72: Damn what a weird topic. What's the point of talking that much about something, which you won't mention the name of? Waist of time if you ask me. I read all the post because I hope you would mention what game you are talking about, just to realise that was a waist of time. smile
So, let's talk about the game which no one knows what's called. smile
Well, I'm done, and see no reason for checking this topic again, because that's something which I won't even consider playing.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-10-08 18:26:54 (edited by Caccio72 2018-10-08 18:55:11)

Well ok, since by now I got convinced, how that chief moderator of ours is obviously unwilling to reconsider his decision:

The game in question is WEBL, (The Web Boxing League), I have nothing to hide, everyone do check the latest "action" of Power Lil, the not too long appointed chief moderator, titled "chairman" there, in case any of you are interested in the matter that is.

And no, the rest of the few "common" WEBL moderators, and the community itself is not that hopeless there actually, several others were trying to talk him off his intention, while only a group of certain, radical and paranoid bullies have voted at his "let's gag the bitch contest", but yeah, I guess there are a few of those everywhere, in all online games with significant enough size of regular player-base.
Plus, that idiotic "contest" of his was heldin a separated, so called "Back Alley" forum, which is not supposed to influence the game directly in any way, not only by the rules of the game, but it was Power Lil himself, who insisted keeping BA (Back Alley) totally isolated, separated from all other forum sections, allowing it by no means to influence the game directly.

Normally, there is a significant number of WEBL community members, who avoid, and/or never even visit that BA forum section, mostly due its accordingly "unmoderated" character, and all the rude language, cursing, swearing, insults allowed, and used there all the time.

Seriously, to me it looks, as if the guy has flipped, and became totally unreliable, while he definitely wasn'tt like this before, he actually was very good at his moderator duties in the past.

Anyway, the size of WEBL player-base is still not that large, to allow such a treatment of regular community members, at least if you ask me...the game has already lost a few of its regulars lately, and is likely to lose some more after this "practical joke", so I can't even understand the reason of our dear Power Lil, which still made him decide for it.
(again, by totally ignoring the protests and warnings of more reasonable community members)

Thumbs up +1

2018-10-08 18:36:32 (edited by Caccio72 2018-10-08 18:38:22)

I just wonder, how Mr Bruce, the developer of WEBL would react to this, since it was actually him, who appointed Power Lil for our chief moderator, aka chairman in the game, only a couple of months ago...

I normally asked for Bruce's email address from Power Lil, in order to inform him of this..."gagging-contest...but of course he was unwilling to send it to me so far.

However, Mr Bruce looks, and acts quite reasonable, friendly, and willing to help in general, so I would really like to contact him, and inform him of this shameful, disgraceful event held by his "chosen one".
(who has really crossed all moral limits by far this time)

Thumbs up

2018-10-08 19:28:41 (edited by Orko 2018-10-08 19:29:36)

Every time I hear about really bad game moderators and communities, I am glad that I'll never have to experience it first hand because I simply do not play online games. I made that choice years ago after having similarly bad experiences while playing an online game that is no longer around. If that's the way online game players like to behave, they can do it without me.

Thumbs up

2018-10-08 20:17:54

The problem is...we only have your side of the story. Yes it may have been a joke but there may well have been other stuff behind the scenes you're not privy to not being an admin. Just saying. THere's two sides to every story. I'd get his story as well and then get the whole picture. I'm not believing just one side of the story, for al we know there were reasons for doing this. Maybe he was told to by the owner, or maybe somebody hacked into his account, or maybe he just had a bad day and decided that'd be a god way to blow of steam.....there's a billion reasons why this could have hapened from his point of view.

LOok, I've been an admin on games, I've pulled dumb stuff before, and I can safely say there's a hell of a lot regular players don't get to se. For instance, you might see an appeal to get unbanned that's cut and dry, guy provided prof why he shouldn't be baned, but behind the scens the admins have proof they aren't disclosing to the playerbase, that guy for example was cheating on many accounts so he won't be unbanned and the topic is suddenly locked.

Point is. THere's a ton that goes into moderating a game, the higher up the lader you go, the more stressful  it gets.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2018-10-08 20:51:12

Yeah I agree, you see one side and one side only. Too often, people jump to conclusions. I did too, and I want to stop that kind of behavior. SO, I won't jump to conclusions in this case, but I did stop playing there, mainly because I sucked so bad, and strategy games aren't really great with me anyway.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-10-08 22:24:43

Well no problem, I told you, feel free to check those forum threads of Power Lil in the game, they are titled "gag the bitch", and are 3 of them even, as his little "contest" kept evolving...

Its just that you will need to be registered and logged into the game.

I could give you links to those threads, but again, unless you are logged in, you won't be able to access them.

Plus, I have sent the link to this thread here to Power Lil, granting him the chance to defend his action and decision, and he did even register to these forums, when he aided me to recommend the game to our blind and vip community...again, as I said, he was not always like this, he was quite a nice dude before...

It's not my fault he doesn't want to use the chance to explain his deed here, or just doesn't care.

Or...maybe he knows he cannot reason or justify it properly...who knows?

Thumbs up

2018-10-08 23:00:13

Here is the starting post of Power Lil, the one he started the "voting" with:
The 1st part of his forum thread was about the idea itself, which, again, quite a few players have disagreed with, but he still kept on with realizing it.
He also declared there to gag, aka ban the 3 "winners" for some period, which he later determined to last for 10 days.

Gag that bitch 18- Part II

Posted by: Powerlille /CCCP/ Chairman of the Board Winner of 4 Invitational Titles Winner of 6 Rookie Titles Winner of 666 Specialty Region Titles Winner of 512 Regional Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles
Date: 2018-09-27 00:25
Edited: 2018-09-26 00:00:00

multiple answers are allowed

Gag the bitch 18
Crimpley
Zam
Kodiak
Powerlille
Brock
Gee
Vacos
Locky
Bones
Vote   View
pollcode.com free polls

And here is the description of the forum section, where he ran that "voting" of his:

The Back Alley Forum
Personalities flare in a largely unmoderated forum. Must be 18+ and accept the disclaimer. Posts not relating to this topic will be moved or deleted.

Thumbs up

2018-10-08 23:50:34

Well you have to make the choice of what you want to do, we can't do it for you. You can either keep playing, and accept he might come for you at some point, or stop playing and move on.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-10-09 07:24:15

Oh, and here is how Power Lil initialized his idea, this can also serve for his "justification" of it, decide about it yourselves:
Btw I asked him again in email, to join this thread, and explain, reason, justify his deed here to us.
(man, now I feel lucky you guys have suggested Text Spaced to me, it occupies almost all of my vast spare time now, and since it has a quite active chat on Discord, these 10 days without communicating in WEBL won't make me so much depressed...its just the way of deciding and applying it what pisses me off, and makes me feel revolted...and deeply disappointed)

Gagging system

Posted by: Powerlille /CCCP/ Chairman of the Board Winner of 4 Invitational Titles Winner of 6 Rookie Titles Winner of 666 Specialty Region Titles Winner of 512 Regional Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles Winner of 571 World Titles
Date: 2018-09-21 00:08

I need a system that allowes community to gag users.

Mods can do this job, but it works bad. All in all it keeps being voluntaristic, not fair for someone. After every our decision we have to listen how bad it is, how we abuse our powers and someone means something else and it can't be punished due to freedom of speech

I'm thinking about this gag this bitch thing. It was for fun mostly, but... if I do it monthly and increase legnth of the gag with every new one... it might work

The good thing is that it's community gag you for being a dick, not staff. And if many users don't like your style of communication then you should change it. No need to prove anything.

MY NOTE:
This forum thread has round 80 replies, containing quite a lot of those, which are trying to talk Power Lil off this idea of his, with similar arguments to mine, (including my own responses of course), so I was agreed with, and supported by others too in the community this time, but well, he is the chief moderator, he obviously ignored all of us, and put, actually forced his wish through.

Thumbs up

2018-10-09 10:29:55

Back alley. Tempers flare, 18+ area of the forum. Gag the Bitch contest?

I see nothing wrong with it given it's in an unmoderated and 18+ area personally.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Thumbs up

2018-10-09 10:34:51

While on the one hand this does seem pretty silly, on the other hand it doesn't sound as if it will affect the game generally or most users who don't frequent that part of the forum, so while I don't think its a good idea I wouldn't say its a case of "no this is terrible! never play that game again ever since the admins are so evil!" sort of affair.

Then again I am probably not a good person to judge, the only times I've got heavily involved with the communities of games have been with places like Core  exiles where the communities were really friendly, counting the mods, mostly when I've played multiplayer games I'm more interested in the game than the players so don't tend to get embroiled in these sorts of shenanigans.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-10-09 13:45:56

I don't see anything wrong with this personally. Also, if you feel like someone is on a power trip, you don't engage them like that, it will do absolutely nothing good.

End racism
End division
Become united