2016-06-12 03:01:02 (edited by btman16 2018-08-08 20:58:38)

Hi everyone,

I've just finished building and uploading the initial release to the public of my first game, Word Race.

Test your speed in this challenging spelling game. What starts out as a simple game, trying to spell words can quickly take a turn and become extremely intense!

Link:
http://btprojects.jc-hosting.me/wordrace-release.zip

Thanks,

Brandon

2016-06-12 04:44:20

hello I can't get the game to work when I leave the edit field blank for the default and go to the ok button it says can't find default what aam I doing wrong thanks

2016-06-12 06:00:58

Hi,

Please make sure that you are copying all of the files from the zip archive into its own folder, such as
c:\games\Word Race.

After this, you should be able to use the default file without issue.
Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,

Brandon

2016-06-12 13:10:49

Hi,
IT's an ok game, accept I wish it had screen reader support and maybe some music during the actual race, as I think it can make it a bit more fun.

2016-06-12 13:19:29 (edited by wightfall 2016-06-12 13:21:10)

hi brandon i just say this is a good game because can improve my spelling.
but could you add option wecan choose screan reader well microsoft anna more complicated for me.

the bestest reward for people who are working so hard they should receive their experience of their own life.
everyone can collect in everyday.
:d

2016-06-12 19:18:18

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. These are all great suggestions and I will see what I can do.

I'm still very new to BGT so I'm still learning.
As for the music, I was actually going to do that during the development process but couldn't figure out what I wanted to do, if any of you have suggestions on a music track feel free to suggest this and I'll also look into this.
Thanks and have a great day,

Brandon

2016-06-13 03:05:57

For a first game, this is fantastic. Well done. However,I have some suggestions:

1. There is no point including words that sound the same as people will likely get confused if there is no context, and far too few speech synthesizers differentiate them adequately.

2. The initial speed is too slow, so perhaps you could include a setting that chooses how fast the initial speed is.

3. For longer words, you could give just a little more time for people to type them.

4. As soon as a person gets a word wrong, you could make an error sound before the next word is announced.

5. For the music, perhaps you could include a few different music tracks for people to choose from.

6. Like another person has already said, screen reader support would be nice.

7. It would be nice to be able to fix misspelled words if we know they are wrong.

This being said, this is a great game and I hope that you release more great games in the future.

2016-06-13 04:53:22

Hi,

Thanks so much for these suggestions. I will definitely keep them in mind as I continue development.

As for other games, I'm not too sure what I'm going to make yet. I've coded several utility programs in BGT though that I might post here sometime.

I love Audio games, but just haven't had many ideas of what I wanted to make.

Have a great day,

Brandon

2016-06-13 07:56:45

Yes, I have seen your other programs.

It is best to not create something until you are sure about what you want to invest your time into, so think wisely, but I do hope to see more from BT Projects.

2016-06-13 14:53:34

Hi,

That's true. This is the reason we hadn't seen many other things posted here, but I will definitely post if I happen to make another game.
I did make a math game, it's not complete yet though but I did have something working.

Thanks,

Brandon

2016-06-13 15:45:18

You can fix mispelled words by going into the word text files, in theory.

2016-06-13 18:47:19

Hiya! I tried out word race, and here are my thoughts. Music would definitely amp up the feeling of a race. Something that's soft and encourages you to think, but also somewhat upbeat. And yes, the initial speeds are very slow. It feels like I'm doing spelling homework, not playing a game. When it comes to games I'd like you to create, there are several kinds, mainly more educational games, fast-paced and able to set my brain on fire. I'd also like to see some pet sims. Sure, psypets is okay, but I'd like it in sound. I know that the sighted versions, with different kinds of petts and areas to explore, might be too advanced for your level of BGT skill, but these are some areas that I've never seen on windows, especially one with full sound. I tried to write a game similar to my idea, when I had my old XP computer with BGT installed. I could write storyline, but code's not my thing. If I could ever find a partner to help my dream of a family sim come true, I'd love that.

Role-play? Simulation? Strategy? Throw it at me! I'm all ears for the games!

2016-06-13 19:48:07

hello. I still can't get the game to work. I guess I don't understand where to copy the files in to the game sorry. please explain for me thanks

2016-06-13 19:56:16

Just create a folder, I prefer to make one in documents, and extract the game files there, and it should work from there. To play with the default word list, just press enter at the prompt where it says enter a file name, or something like that. Have fun.

Role-play? Simulation? Strategy? Throw it at me! I'm all ears for the games!

2016-06-14 02:25:30

Hi,

Thanks for all the feedback.

I'm taking note of these suggestions and will see what I can do. I'll see if I can put in a set up screen where one could set the default speed to start with.
Other improvements and fixes will follow in other updates as well.

In the future I'll go ahead and put the files in a folder for you inside the zip archive so there shouldn't be confusion on this.
This should be fixed in an update I'm working on.

Thanks,

Brandon

2018-08-08 20:37:29

Hi everyone,

I apologize for the super long delay between posts on here. I recently came back to this game and have started working on it, implementing some features I think you will enjoy.

The following things are being worked on right now for a new version to be released soon:
* Voice selection: You can now select what voice should be used for spelling words, previously you were limited to the system voice. Note that on Windows 10 this will use the default SAPI voice set through Control Panel, not the one selected in Settings.
* A main menu is available providing options for playing, changing the voice and exiting
* You can now play using background music and can change its volume using keys often found in other audio games
* I'm looking into changing the start speed so it's not as slow
* The spelling system which reads the correct spelling at the end, if you don't get a perfect score, is being reworked.

Again I apologize for the long delay on this topic and I look forward to answering your questions and comments! smile

Thanks again,

Brandon

2018-08-08 20:44:12

404 error. I can't download this.

ice, fire, water, thunder.

2018-08-08 20:46:37

Hi,

The BT Projects section moved recently. Which link did you use?

Thanks,

Brandon

2018-08-08 21:07:59

Hi,

For those of you who had trouble downloading the game due to 404 errors, I edited the original link so it should work now. It can be found in post 1 just like before.

Thanks,

Brandon

2018-08-09 00:24:44

Hi.
This is a cool game, but in the next release could you please add support for NVDA? I only have the Microsoft anna sapi voice, which is hard to understand, and sounds terrible besides.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-08-09 02:48:00 (edited by btman16 2018-08-09 02:48:39)

Hi,

I will have to see what I can do, I need to look into how screenreader support works more. Once I get that figured out, though, I can definitely do that.

Thanks,

Brandon

2018-08-09 19:19:35

Hello,

I wanted to just take some time to discuss some of the long term goals for the project way down the road.

As I've said before, I'm working on the next update and am implementing features now.

As part of what I'm doing at my summer job, I've spent the last few weeks looking through some transcripts of various webinars about assistive technology. I ran across one pertaining to gaming for everyone and making sure that they're playable for everyone. So I'm wondering what kind of things I might be able to do to make Word Race work for all ages/abilities and other situations?
I talked to a friend who had mentioned multiple word lists which can affect the difficulty of the game. I'm working on the actual game setup, that is, making the interface easier to understand. One goal that I'm working to get in soon is changing the way you choose the word file you want to use. For some, I think the edit box could be harder to use, so I'm thinking of putting all the available files in a menu. That way users can press the arrow keys to see the different choices available to them and when they find the one they want to use they simply press enter and it will select and use that one.

Again, I'm thinking long term goals. Some people may use this to learn spelling. Others may use this to have some fun. You know, someone may be really good at spelling but they want a bit of a twist on it so they could play this. Things like that are what I want to focus on too, long term to make this usable for everyone. I have feedback on things which I want to implement sooner, I'm just trying to get feedback as to where you want to see this go down the road. I have thoughts on it, too, but think it's important to hear from others too as the goal with all my stuff is to make it for them, not me.

Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to any input and ideas you may have that can help bring the game to a whole new level and benefit as many people as possible.

Sincerely,

Brandon

2018-10-07 00:18:14

Hi everyone,

I'm trying something a little different this time and have just posted a beta which has features that will form the next update. This new version contains numerous changes that should make your experience better.

Main highlights over the 1.0 release are:

* Voice selection: You can now select what voice should be used for spelling words, previously you were limited to the system voice. Note that on Windows 10 this will use the default SAPI voice set through Control Panel, not the one selected in Settings.
* A main menu is available providing options for playing, changing the voice and exiting
* You can now play using background music and can change its volume using keys often found in other audio games
* I'm looking into changing the start speed so it's not as slow
* The spelling system which reads the correct spelling at the end, if you don't get a perfect score, is being reworked.

Known Issues:

* Letters when spelling words at the end are not consistent and some may have delays
The music tracks are currently limited to those included in the download; the user can't change these from within the game yet but this should be available in another update

The following things will need some more work to implement:
* Screen readers can't be used in the game yet
* As mentioned in a prior post, the eventual goal is to change how you select the word file you want to use, but this has not been done yet.

I hope you enjoy this beta as we're getting closer. This is important as I continue to refine things for the upcoming release.

You can find the beta at:
http://btprojects.jc-hosting.me/WordRaceBeta.zip

Thanks again,

Brandon

2018-10-07 03:51:52

Screen reader support is pretty hard to do in BGT, as an aside.

2018-10-07 08:29:35

Hi,

While I did post changes here, make sure to refer to the full change log included in the download, as what I posted here were just main highlights.

Thanks,

Brandon