2018-10-02 11:54:15

Okay, this one is hardly a  new release, but since we haven't had a  topic in New releases and I'm giving the game a try I thought I would have a go.

the reason is simple, I was in a nostalgic mood and wanted something easy to play,   so for both my nostalgia  about Logd and my nostalgia about Harry potter, I thought this one might  be fun, heck I've not played any  Logd games for a good long time now not counting  Improbable island, and even that I played about 7 years ago.

so what  is hogwarts live?
Well the db will give a general description, but for those who don't know, its a combat game based on harry potter.
the basic objective is the  same as legend of the green dragon, go into the forest and beat up creatures until your high enough level to challenge your master (or hogwarts professor in this case), beat them, then repeat up to level 15 until you fight lord Voldemort, then begin again with higher stats.

What is interesting in this one is firstly that it has lots of hp references, from the creatures to the items to the special events you sometimes run into in the forest, for example you can buy brooms and pets.
Secondly, I like how this one is setup.

Some LogD varients such as dragons of myth and legend of algera (if that one is still going),  started you off with such stupidly huge supplies that you didn't really need to work, you already had the top weapon.
Not this time, indeed the "go thrill seaking" link in the forest really does mean thrill seaking, as unlike in most LogD games you can't just slaughter higher level mosnters and level up quickly, similarrly, gems seem thinner on the ground, which in one sense is actually quite good since it means that you can't just buy the top level pets and what not for nothing.

I also like the usual little touches such as pet care and some of the places to explore, and in particular this one seems to have more special events than normal, as well as hogwarts personalities, albeit I do wish they changed a few of the descriptions a little more from the LogD standard ones, I don't think somehow Belatrix would be speaking like Ramius from the original game once you get to the graveyard.

For anyone who fancies looking me up I'm darkempathy on there, and my refferal link is http://www.hogwartslive.com/r/Darkempathy

Anyone who's already in the game also feel free to share tips etc.

While its not a complex game, I do remember having loads of fun with LogD varients in the past, and though I got to know the games a little too well after a while, that didn't stop them being fun first time around, indeed going back to this now feels like meeting an old friend.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-10-03 14:13:21

I've made it to third year, but I'm a bit bored with it. I enjoyed fighting and hoarding gold up until this point, but I guess there's just not enough point in it for me. Chatting with people is nice, but I've fallen into this rut where it's just chatting and harvesting gold for no reason, so I'm having trouble staying interested. I guess that's the point of every game, but there's not enough variety to hold my attention.

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2018-10-03 16:31:35

That was always a problem with LogD varients, that not really enough stuff was available at higher dk (or in the case of Hogwarts live VE), levels to give you enough stuff to explore.

its a shame, there are more than enough LogD modules kicking around and if developers planned their games a little better, giving access to different areas and activities at different dk levels they likely could keep players going for longer, but it seems often in LogD variants the design tends to run into giving you all the things at the start to play with, rather than letting you unlock over time.

I do recall at one stage I got to ten dk's and tried all the races.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-10-03 17:42:46

its something like pozzle?

2018-10-03 18:19:03

I used to play that. And unless things have changed over time, I don't see myself coming back to it. The aditudes in the chat particularly displayed towards people with 0 VEs to their name were quite frankly toxic. The amount of times you got attacked was just ridiculous. I would log off one day, only to come back to three attack messages at the next. All from players with a lot of VEs and eldar wands, so I had no chance of winning. I once went on a trip for about 5 or 6 days. Having no mobile device back then I wasn't able to log into the game. When I came back, I had, I kid you not, over 50 attack notifications if I remember correctly. Every single one of them was a defeat on my part, which ment 10% of my xp down the drain for every attack. This set me back about two levels, which I could never quite grind back up, as I pretty much lost my motivation afterwards.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-10-04 01:25:21

I played this a long time ago, but could never deal with the incredible amounts of adds I'd have to go through.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2018-10-04 06:52:04

@matt1211, Attacks in LogD varients were always a problem for that reason, so one of the first things I did when I created my account was set the pvp preference to off. That helps quite a lot.

2018-10-04 16:51:55

Attacks? No, I meant advertizing. On that game it seemed like you had to waid through massive amounts of it to get to actual game. I haven't played in a few years so not sure if it's still the same, but that's what kept me from loving it.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2018-10-04 17:06:52

hello,
i play HL. i have about 46 VE-s. i have my abraxan as my creature which helps me in fights, and yes, i found a very rare Phoenix. i named it artax. yay! i like to use features like sichaes apple shop, order of the Phoenix, i have an star-shaped tattoo, and a jevel, an hat too. and yes, i have turned off the pvp, too. i am an hufflepuff member. i learned to play some instruments in the amleines music thing, but lost interest in it. but maybe might return to it some time. who knows.
the game is Quite fast, no ads etc. and if you know the keyboard shortcuts to jump to various links, its even better. i like to play it while watching tv, or listening to music, or whatever.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2018-10-08 00:06:43

@Dark, unfortunately, HL is going rapidly downhill. The site staff doesn't enforce their own rules, nor are they always respectful towards the players and refuse to accept suggestions for improvement graceously. To be honest, I rarely go on anymore these days, and I doubt my main character will reach ultimate god, despite only being 4 VE's or so away. tongue

@Cinnamon, it does get rather boring at times. However, once you reach wizard after 7 VE's, you can donate to buy dwellings, you do get better mounts and pets as you advance, and after 50 VE's your account becomes permanent.

@connor142, yeah plenty of ppl around HL do tend to be rather unkind to noobs, but that applies to most LotGD-based rpgs I'm afraid.. You can turn off pvp in preferences, though there are some rules of when you can.

@matt1211, try using an adblocker. I use adblocker ultimate in Firefox, and all of the ad links on HL are completely removed.

AKA president731

2018-10-09 12:28:47

I remember creating an account for this years ago. It seemed like the greatest thing ever at the time as I was really into the hp series. The captcha was my first problem though, I got someone to help me solve it, i don't remember seeing an audio one anywhere. The actual game was really confusing. I could never find any text for the actually game, only links for messages and log out and probably a few others. I found the website was a pain to navigate. I'd give it a try again but my account has probably long since died as its been like 5 years at least since I created it, and I don't wanna get into that captcha business again unless they've added an audio one. Hopefully I can figure it out a little more too, but it didn't seem as easy as urban dead.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2018-10-09 12:36:43

Captcha? what capcha.
i created my account fine and there is no capcha at all, indeed I don't think I've ever seen a Logd varient with a capcha.

2018-10-09 13:41:01

Its unfortunate this game has so many issues.. I've always wanted to play a online game based on harry potter. Is this the only accessible one?

2018-10-09 19:46:28

@post 11, HL doesn't have Captchas, and I've been on it since 2013.

AKA president731

2018-10-10 10:24:57

if you like hl, maybe try this:

http://www.harrypotter-onlinerpg.com/

f.a.t.h.e.r

2018-10-22 01:42:05

@15, one issue with HPO is it tends to load painfully slowly. I'm not sure if they use the village images module, which I've noticed causes LotGD to load sluggishly, or if they have that bad a web host. I will say though that the few times I've interacted with players and staff, they certainly seem to be really decent and friendly. One thing that does bug me though, while they allow you to buy dwellings without donating site points, you can't add descriptions etc. without wasting gems and stuff, and I'm already struggling to get enough gems. tongue

AKA president731

2018-10-22 22:24:53

I got rid of the ads on HL by doing something with Flexible Web on jaws. I can't remember now exactly how I did it, but it was something to do with making the screen reader not show ad frames on that website.

2018-11-04 16:42:29

Okay I admit I'm severely disappointed with the game now.
I hopped back on last night and leveled up to 15 which finally lead to confronting voldemort himself, and %90 of the description all came from Legend of the green dragon.

I expected there to be a little more fanfare, maybe you'd find him in the forbidden forest  surrounded by giants as in deathly hallows, or maybe you'd get to confront him in the graveyard where he killed sedric digory, but no, he's in a dark cave surrounded by burnt trees just like the big bad from Logdd.

I have noticed all through the game there are a few stock LogD descriptions and straight out changes, EG still mentioning " clash of weapons" even when you go to confront hogwarts professors, and the mentions of fler pretty much word swapped for violet the barmaid (though I haven't found where to marry her yet), but I expected that he who must not be named would have at  a little more effort spent on description.

I may well head back on and poke around again, see if anything new is available to me for killing old voldy, but really I do wish the admins had spent a little more work on the game's text here.

2018-11-04 19:44:21

@Dark, You flirt and marry Fler in the Hogshead Inn in Hogsmead, which can't be accessed until you reach 3rd year. I actually was surprised to see a few days ago that they added the library and lost ruins modules, though I'm not sure if they are temporary, like the trick-or-treat and Esoterra modules in honor of Halloween, or if either are permanent. But yeah, unfortunately a lot of the original LotGD text has been retained or only slightly modified. Take a look at Gringotts bank, completely untouched. When I first joined 5 years ago, the different cities actually had some scenery descriptions to them, still heavily influenced by the basic LotGD village text, but at least something to work with as part of role playing. Now that's even gone, replaced with by very simple descriptions and lots of meaningless notice blather. And role play itself seems to have mostly died off too.

AKA president731

2018-11-05 06:11:01

Yeah, the cities have minimal differences at the moment.
In general the game seems very lazy with its text, which is a shame when your looking for a Harry Potter related experience.

2018-11-12 23:25:42

There is another LoGd website that I find quite friendly in terms of both rp, and helpful players, in fact it's the friendliest LoGd Site I have ever seen... It is Kahlan's sanctuary, http://www.lotgd4adults2.com/home.php?
Find Dragons of myth too smuthering, too easy? Kahlan's sanctuary is a happy medium. The players will resurrect you sometimes, gems and gold are hard, but not so that you can't become well off. Alot, of unlockable things you can see. I have tried hl, found it to be kind of clique(ish) in the fact you don't know anyone, you're gonna be ignored mostly.

Anyway try it out if you want, send me a yoM on there I'm Aislynn.

Enjoy smile

2018-11-13 00:03:21

@kb, to be honest I've never really done much by way of Rp in any Logd varient, I always played for  the discovery, stuff to do and unlock, which is why I found hl so disappointing in not living up to its harry potter ethos, though I definitely agree on dragons of  myth being too easy and a little crazy in terms  the instantly available uba weapons and mounts etc.

The problem though is since Logd was one of the first online games I ever played and one of the first I put considerable time into, I know the system, the standard texts and much of the encounters a wee bit too well.

2018-11-13 00:15:39

I can say that ks is a little different in it's things to do there are the usual forest fights and discoveries, but there are also dungeons and things added, like magictown, and other minor, yet noteable bosses to slay. I know most don't go for the rp,  but if any of you find some logd sights super deep and serious with the rp, that usually not the case with ks. I like it because of it's fun, and friendly atmosphere and it's generous players and things to do. I"m not saying it's a complete overhall, but it's not all the same, and the mounts are not all unlocked at 1 dk, heh and in fact you can visit athena on there, and figure out what's available when.

2018-11-13 00:27:30

@21, I know one of the staff members on both Kahlan's sanctuary and DoM and refuse to have anything to do with either because of it, but thanks for the suggestions.

AKA president731

2018-11-13 00:31:13

I have never had issues with either Rein or Kahlan, and find them to be perfectly amiable.