2018-03-28 15:33:57

Waves GTR is really starting to make a very happy camper out of me.

Although it's not as preset heavy as Guitar Rig, it's more accessible in general.  I do like GUitar Rig though so I'm keeping it until we can get SIbiac working, but Waves works very nice as a VST3 plugin.  When loaded in VST3 mode, you can actually see the preset selection as an option in the parameters list.  That, and everything else is doable around the plugin.  I may scoop more of these up if they're this good.  Plus, it has a  more clearer tone than guitar rig.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-03-28 23:55:12 (edited by flackers 2018-03-28 23:59:40)

Yep, I like GTR for all the same reasons. I feel as if some of the distorted tones are a little smoother than guitar rig. Though guitar rig has tons more components, for just a decent basic guitar sound, GTR is pretty great for the price. Not too convinced by the reverb that comes with it though, seems a bit cloudy if you know what I mean, but I have waves IR1 permanently set up  as a send for much subtler and cleaner reverb sounds.

2018-03-29 05:00:47

There's also more versatility with bass tones and  setups with it. 

Especially incorporating the amp, the bass units, and  te stomp boxes.  I have some pretty nifty sounds so far and of course making a track template saves time.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-03-31 12:55:01

Just picked up a couple of these the other day impressed with it  so far

2018-10-01 02:38:28

So, this plug-in is accessible as you mentioned in the previous post. Have you tried it with reaper? What if for example, I'll go to effects track and tab to go to the combo box, will I see the list of presets there?

2018-10-01 06:29:10

hi, no presets show up for waves as far as I know but you can reada bout some of their usability to help you better decide for yourself. This was not easy to compile, but I hope it is useful.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-10-01 09:31:44 (edited by flackers 2018-10-01 09:32:27)

I don't use it with reaper or NVDA, but if you OCR and find load, that'll open an accessible preset menu. Not all the presets will be there though. If you choose open preset file from the top of the menu, file explorer will open and you can browse to the GTR folder where there are around 5 or 6 preset files with different categories such as clean, dirty, drive, etc. If you open one of these, the load menu will have presets specific to that category, and you'll have many more presets this way. I think the file path to the preset files on mine is something like program files x86, waves, data, waves GTR, presets. The preset menu that loads by default is a selection of presets from the different categories. Also the amps and stomps have their own preset menus too. Luckily these are always in the same place, so you could use golden cursor to access them.

2018-10-01 14:15:57

When I load the plugins as VST3 plugins in Reaper, I can see the presets in the parameters list and it's completely selectable.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-10-01 19:11:08

O I see. So it's working. The one's that you bought is, the GTR waves solo? Or this?
Guitar Plugins - GTR3 | Bundles | Waves

2018-10-01 20:34:07

Actually the diamond series is working, which is 65 different plugins.  I want to get the PRS  plugin eventually.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-10-01 20:45:39

Still debating between these two. I love the sound that can be gotten from guitar rig, I have only ever heard gtr with distorted tones... would anyone be willing to make a demo comparing the two? Doesn't have to be a walkthrough, just some audio samples would be hugely helpful in deciding which one I want to buy.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-10-01 22:09:18

Impulse buys are dangerous! I just got the gold bundle for $70!

2018-10-02 00:26:52

@G-Rad. So that's what you're using right now? The diamonds series? O yea, damn the prs is really great. I wanna buy those but I think the only thing that I can afored right now is the Guitar Plugins - GTR3 | Bundles | Waves which cost 39 dollars because of sale.

2018-10-02 01:10:28

GTR3 bundle is a bargain at $39. The toolrack is a useful thing to have because it means you load the amps and stomps as a single plugin rather than having to place one stomp plugin in front of the amp, then the amp plugin, then another stomp plugin after.

2018-10-02 09:47:53

I think there may only be a few hours left, but if anyone is planning on buying a bundle from waves... get it now! The diamonds series is only 299 right now. The gold series I got is quite awesome... I just have to actually try them out. lol

2018-10-03 08:00:46

So question for wave audio users... once the products are installed through wave central, can I just copy the whole plugins folder over to my main vst folder where reaper normally scans? Or is there a specific proces I have to go through to start using them... also, if I decide to shift my vst library on to an external drive, do I have to reinstall the waves gold bundle? Help appreciated. Thanks!

2018-10-03 10:16:07

Hi. I have trouble installing my products in waves. It says:
Sorry an error occured while preparing installing. Something like that. I don't know but I have a hunch that this is because of my internet connection.

2018-10-03 12:22:45 (edited by flackers 2018-10-03 16:56:26)

I have my waves license on a flash drive now for use with multiple computers, but I think there's a file called waveshell. That's the .dll file for all your waves plugins. I don't like that they lump everything into one file like that, but they do. You can just copy this dll into your vst folder, or add the folder where it is to reaper's vst folders list. It might not be in your waves folder, it might be on its own in a folder called VST plugins in program files or whatever.
@Chris, you'd probably need to contact waves about that. I have to admit, I really hate the installation process for these sorts of plugins. I wish you could just install stuff without having to use these annoying managers.

2018-10-03 16:20:59

Thanks Flackers! you're right, that definitely is really odd.. and I'm not a fan of that either. so once you load that file into your vst directory, do all the plugins show in the DAW as separate? Or do you have to then load  them manually by using the shell dll first?

2018-10-03 16:51:17 (edited by flackers 2018-10-03 16:55:53)

Once you've scanned the folder with the waveshell dll in, they'll all appear as separate plugins like normal.

2018-10-03 17:32:46

Cool. Thanks!

2018-10-03 18:19:05

Just tried to load one of the gtr stomp plugins to see what it looked like... and the control screen in reaper is a mess. lol There's 170 something odd controls and none of them are really labelled. I have no idea what anything does... anyone have any tips on getting started?

2018-10-03 18:49:13

I'm using jaws scripts and sonar with the toolrack, so I think G-Rad would be able to help much better than me. He's obviously got it working using NVDA and reaper.

2018-10-03 19:16:51

The toolrack would probably be good as well, if I could figure it out. I just need a pointer to get started... after that I can figure out most of it.

2018-10-03 21:16:11 (edited by flackers 2018-10-04 02:06:03)

The toolrack has two main windows: the stomps window, and the amps. The stomps window has 6 stomp slots with an extra slot reserved for the amp. This is so you can move the amp from left to right so you can have stomps before and after it. So if you're using the toolrack plugin, the maximum number of stomps you're going to have at any one time is 6. So when you look in the parameters list and you see slot 1 control 1, that's the first slot. If it had a distortion pedal in there, control 1 would refer to the first control of the distortion pedal. I don't know how you'd determine which pedal is in which slot using NVDA and reaper. There is a dropdown menu beneath each slot that has all the stomps listed, so if you have sighted assistance, you could do golden cursor points to click them to enter that stomp into the slot. If the slot already has a stomp in it, the name of that stomp will be greyed out and say unavailable because it's already in the slot. So you could use this information to determine which effect if any was in the slot. On the amps window, there are two amps side by side, left and right. You can click a button that links the two, so that whatever you change on the left, it also changes the one on the right. This means that it sounds like a single amp. But if the one on the left has different settings to the one on the right, it'll sound like a split, so it sounds like you're playing two guitars at once. To be honest, I tend not to tinker too much with the amps. I just accept the preset, and make little tweeks to the stomps, particularly the delay because it has to match the tempo.
Here is a list of the 26 stomp FX in alphabetical order as they appear in the menu. I'll also write out what controls they have. Each stomp also has a bypass toggle switch.

1. Axpress
Control 1 press. Control 2 attack. Control 3 output.
2. Buzz.
Control 1 drive. control 2 level. control 3 tone.
3. Chorus.
control 1 depth. control 2 rate.
4. Compression.
control 1 comp. control 2 attack. control 3 release
5. delay.
control 1 mix. control2 time. control 3 hi cut. control 4 feedback. control 5 stereo. control 6 sync. Note, sync is a toggle that syncs to the tempo of the daw.
6. Distortion
control 1 drive. control 2 level. control 3 contour. control 4 tone.
7. Doubler
control 1mix. control2 detune. control 3 delay. control 4 feedback. control 5 stereo.
8. EQ
control 1 125hz. control 2 250hz. control 3 500hz. control 4 1Khz. control 5 2Khz. control 6 4Khz.
9. flanger
control 1 mix. control 2 rate. control 3 delay. control 4 feedback. control 5. stereo. control 6 sync.
10. fuzz
control 1 sustain control 2 level. control 3 tone.
11. gate.
control 1 threshold. control 2 hold. control 3 attack. control 4 release.
12. gatecomp
control 1 gate. control 2 comp.
13 LayD
control 1 mix. control 2 time. control 3 pitch. control 4 stereo. control 5 feedback. control 6 sync. control 7 reverse. note, reverse is a on off toggle.
14. metal
control 1 dist. control 2 level. control 3 hi. control 4 low. control 5 frequency. control 6 gain.
15. octaver
control 1 oct 1. control 2 oct 2. control 3 pan 1. control 4 pan 2. control 5 direct.
16. overdrive.
control 1 drive. control 2 level. control 3 tone.
17. panner
control 1 rate. control 2 width. control 3 sync. control 4 sine. note, sine is a 5-way switch that chooses different waves such as sine, square triangle etc.
18. phaser
control 1 depth. control 2 rate. control 3 stereo. control 4 sync.
19. pitcher bass
control 1 mix. control 2 min. control 3 max. control 4 pitch. note, pitch is a slider that controls the amount of pitch shift.
20. pitcher
controls are same as pitcher bass.
21. reverb
control 1 mix. control 2 time. control 3 predelay. control 4 tone.
22. spring reverb
control 1 mix. control 2 predelay. control 3 time.
23. tone
control 1 low. control 2 mid. control 3 high. control 4 low cut. control 5 high cut.
24. vibrolo
control 1 vibe. control 2 trem. control 3 rate. control 4 sync. control 5 sine.
25. volume
control 1 min. control 2 max. control 3 lin. control 4 volume. note, volume is a slider.
26. wahwah.
control 1 sensitivity. control 2 range. control 3 speed. control 4 auto, this is an on off toggle. control 5 slider, don't know if this doesn't have a name or if I just called it slider.