2018-10-02 23:08:37

Hello.
As far as I'm aware, a lot of screen readers have this feature. I'm not exactly sure of how to describe it in just a few words, but I can tell you what it's called in each SR. In Super Nova it's called entertainment, for System Access I guess you'd call it the SA mobile network, and for Jaws there's an entertainment section in Leasey too. Basically, I'm looking for an add-on that can play podcasts, music, radio stations, and possibly more if that's not pushing it. Is there such a thing for NVDA?

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-10-02 23:26:07

no

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-10-03 00:07:17

@ironcross32 Thanks.
@everyone else I'm kind of curious now, why is that not a thing?

TWITCH

2018-10-03 00:39:40

that's a lot to put in the gpl, and the things you are talking about in other sr's are kind of adjuncts to a paid product. Leasy is a separate thing as well. That goes against the developer philosophy for NVDA which is make a screen reader, it can have whatever synths you like, it can make whatever application you want usable and it can provide useful functionality pertaining to screen reading, system interaction and web navigation. There are people who mock the developer of weather+ because they say NVDA should not have, nor need, a weather feature. There are 3rd party apps for that, or 1st party if you're on windows 10. Which people agreed yes these are built-in apps to windows so let's make them usable! And they did. Unfortunately the great many a podcast apps are for mobile, not many know of an accessible alternative to QCast unless I'm missing something. As far as music, you should be fine with a media player like winamp, foobar2000, media player classic or vlc, all of which have NVDA app modules built-in, or vlc was an add-on a while back, not sure how much you need it. It basically all comes down to 3rd party software that may or may not be accessible. Most internet radio is just icecast or other m3u/mp3/vorbis streams, no? You can play those in a standard media player if it lets you add a URL. Foobar and winamp both do.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2018-10-03 01:02:56

Of course, but my main thought behind it is why should all these other screen readers have that functionality if NVDA shouldn't or can't? Jaws, Super Nova, and the now defunct Window Eyes have or had those features, maybe window Eyes didn't but I'm not sure. The point is, they were all supposed to be screen readers and nothing more, so why should they have that stuff and not NVDA. That kind of seems ironic too, because if add-ons were only intended to add or improve things on the screen reader aspect, then one would think the developers wouldn't give people the power to do all the things that it can potentially do. It's also ironic because almost all the aforementioned screen readers don't have script engines nearly as powerful as NVDA's

TWITCH

2018-10-03 03:26:31

meh

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-10-03 04:31:29 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2018-10-03 04:37:15)

hahaha, then narrator, voiceover and even talkback should have it as well wouldn't you think?
leasey itself is not part of jaws anyway. You have to buy and implement it separately.
window eyes did not have this at all either.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-10-03 05:05:44

@UltraLeetJ Oh, I thought it did. Didn't Window Eyes have apps or something like that? And yes, you have to buy Leasey separately, but it's still a jaws script and thus Jaws still has those functions available to it. NVDA has that functionality too, but nobody's ever made use of it in that way. Also yes, I'd love for Narrator and Voice Over to let you make add-ons for it. I'm not sure how that would work for Talk Back though, that would be interesting to see.

TWITCH

2018-10-03 05:12:09

The entertainment feature didn't show up in Supernova until version 16 and frankly I was appalled when it did.

Instead of fixing the very major issues in Supernova's interaction with Windows 10 or providing support for programs  other than the small number they recommend, Dolphin waste their time  building extra fluff into your screen reader that you can take care of easily with third party programs anyway. I actually got the feeling that the entertainment section in Supernova was a case Dolphin building their own alternatives to programs rather than trying to improve supernova's general compatibility across the board.
I wonder when they'll build their own supernova Email client instead of trying to provide propper screen reading support for other people's big_smile.

If you ask me the cogent question is not "why doesn't NVdA have this" but why do companies who charge a lot of money for their product waste their time making their product do things its not meant to rather than fixing the bugs and making their product better?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-10-03 05:23:17

@dark No I agree with you, I don't think companies should be focusing on stuff like that. They really should be working on improvements with how you interact with the operating system. That's why I think NV Access's approach is great, because they can worry about the main flaws of the screen reader while the community can make add-ons that have the features I was looking for, which is the irony of it. Personally, I like to have add-ons for screen readers that do things it's not supposed to do, but that's just my opinion, feel free to disagree if you wish. I'm the kind of person that if I could install zappers in my hands that I can use to shock people with and shoot fire out of my mouth, I would do it in a heart beat. I love features, a lot.

TWITCH

2018-10-03 07:07:37

Hay if I could install zappers in my hand and something to shoot fire out of my mouth I'd do that too, it would make getting served in a shopping centre much easier big_smile.

Seriously though, I haven't seen too many crazy addons for NvdA, its not like Winamp where you could get an addon to play packman in your Winamp window big_smile. Most of the ones I've seen usually have a little more point to them like providing program compatibility, extra functions to NvdA or tweaking some of NvdA's behaviours, rather than trying to emulate specific functions of other programs.

The only exception I can think of where an NvdA addon provides something that  doesn't have a basis in NvdA itself, is the instant translate addon, and even that is more a matter of building a rather unique way for nvdA to interact with Google translate as opposed to creating a new function from thin air.

Also in the case of music players, to be brutally honest I'm not really sure why someone would want to use their screen reader to play music anyway?

I can't speak for the Jaws media addon, but the supernova entertainment function won't let you set supernova as the default media player for given file types. You can open the control pannel and play stuff, but not play things from windows explorer.
Similarly, the podcatcher works rather like that on the Victor stream with providing you access to an existing podcast directory which you can then favourite, rather than letting you interact with feeds directly, though if I remember rightly you can copy the appropriate rss information into supernova and have it play episodes for you.

lastly, when my lady tried her bard account on the supernova addon it wouldn't actually let you play the books on the pc, just  search and then download them onto a compatible usb device.

So basically it seems that the entire media section is more a way of shortcutting use of other programs than a real substitute for the functionality of those programs, indeed as I said I still suspect its essentially just an attempt by Dolphin to shirk on their responsibilities, just the same way when I pointed out to them that Supernova would no longer let me  use what mail client I wanted they said "Well we only support windows live mail or microsoft outlook"

I wonder how many people have complained to Dolphin that supernova doesn't support a given mediaplayer only to be told "well we only recommend using the media section of Supernova"

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-10-03 15:37:54 (edited by Dan Gero 2018-10-03 15:39:09)

@Dark Probably a lot, which would explain why I actually never heard about Super Nova until you mentioned it believe it or not. They probably aren't on people's good side right now. I wonder how many people have ditched Super Nova in favor of NVDA/Jaws, as those are really the only screen readers we hear much about anymore.

TWITCH

2018-10-03 16:00:05

The job of a screen reader is to report information, nothing else. I agree with Dark. Instead of wasting time on these features, they should be spending time improving the screen reader and compatibility with applications. Features like Research It in JAWS are useless! If you want something like this for NVDA, code it yourself or find someone who would be willing to do it either for free or for a fee. I'd gladly take a bug fix update to NVDA over something like a media player or games. Instead of using Research It, learn to use the Internet through a real web browser.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-10-03 16:36:21

Hi,
There are some great python resources out there, it's one of the most popular programming languages, after all. So if you want something like Leasey for NVDA, I'm sure you'd be able to code it with enough practice. Good luck smile

2018-10-03 16:45:49

I doubt many people have swapped from Supernova to Jaws,simply because while sn isn't quite as expensive as Jaws, it is still pretty pricey and after spending that amount of cash on one screen reader you'd need a good justification, or a lot of money to warrant spending cash on another, heck as I said in the Jaws topic myself, since there is no way in hell I could afford to buy the Jaws license, much less stay on the upgrade plan I haven't even bothered trying the demo.

i suspect though I am not the first or the last person to ditch Supernova in favour of NvdA given its recent bad program compatibility record, especially as compared to how good it used to be on Xp, and what is doubly sad is given this concentration on inconsequentials like media players and so on, I don't see them recovering much by way of lost ground.

V17 does apparently have chrome support at least and they've finally! stopped insisting on Internet explorer,though how good that support is and whether they've fixed the other bugs with Windows 10, the slow down  and not reading of settings windows I don't know, and can't spare the cash at the moment to find out.

Again, hurrah for NvdA!

2018-10-03 16:46:20

@Lucas1853 Honestly I'd love to do that, but I have some things coming up in the next 9 months that'll keep me from doing much. After that though, I could try to learn Python. Although, lets be honest here, would anybody actually use something like that? I wouldn't want to go through the trouble of making an add-on like that if it isn't something people would use.

TWITCH

2018-10-03 16:54:48

Yeah, if it will be at a good price, I will definitely use that, simply because, I love extras and things like that, if I was able to install things onto my body, at this time, I would have goten wings and some fast moving rocket legs.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-10-03 17:51:04

If you want to know whether people will use it, look at how many people use Leasey. I don't know myself, but there might be statistics somewhere. IF you make it free or cheap, that number will also go up since some people don't buy Leasey because it costs money. If you really wanted to make it cost money though you'd probably have to learn another language than python that you could write a dll in because otherwise people would just be able to rip your registration system out of the code.

2018-10-03 18:25:57

No, I wouldn't want to charge for something like that. It would probably be like the screen reader, free and open sourced.

TWITCH

2018-10-03 21:01:35

well, I don't really know... it would have to be an  app that is either really complete or has a lot of integration potential. I use winamp because I am impressed at its stability despite being  15 years old  and am impressed by everything it offers. Its pretty complete, too. You  have a media library, it rips cds, it plays shoutcast and whatever other streams, it plays video, it records the output to a file if you want to have it make so, it does podcasts subscriptions as well, it lets you sync your mp3 devices, you can also search for many many stations and podcasts with its online function, and a long ETC.
However, I just use the internet radio play to playlists I have built, and the local music playing functions for it to play music I have stored in the computer. nothing else of that I use. Why?
Because I prefer CdEx for ripping, SharpReader because it does rss quite well, I love vlc for video playback, if I want entertainment or podcasts the net has a big growing list and we have had some pretty awesome recommendations here too, shoutcast is a really complete portal for finding anything realated to radio stations, and so on.
Point is, I would prefer separate programs for separate tasks because they focus on doing them so well that you will have a reliable, number one candidate for whatever you need. Cramming everything into a single oh i don't know, entertainment center, is just too troublesome for development, maintenance, and even usability. Just like what is happening to system access, or supernova, ETC. they are just terribly failing to keep up and falling behind. And that is not good from  a usability, corporate, reputation and representational perspective.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-10-04 01:43:12

I completely agree with Dark and Chris here, a screen reader's primary function should be to give you information about what's on the screen. Let's look at Klango, for instance. Granted, that wasn't a screen reader, but after awhile, the catalog was a mess, it stopped being maintained, etc. It was the same with the Braille Plus, and its directory of radio stations/podcasts. If well-intentioned projects like that can fail so spectacularly, I really don't want to know what such an undertaking would look like inside of NVDA. Community involvement can be a blessing or a curse, in other words.

Having said that, there is an RSS reader add-on, but I never really got into it. I still use QFeed for that. At least it hasn't broken quite as much as QCast has in recent months, but I digress.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-10-04 05:18:39

There's also kodi for entertainment purposes, but that could probably have its own thread.

Plus if you don't know what you're doing it can be a pain to set up.

I'm surprised there isn't an addon for that.

Sure, it has its own screen reader, but it no longer works with NVDA and there's only like two people working on it, plus, it hasn't had an update for quite some time.

2018-11-30 20:38:19

I would use an addon for NVDA that would do podcastas and stuff because it would probably be way faster than navigating the eppisode pages in a web browser.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-12-02 09:01:03

If it were to be anything like the Read Feeds add-on, though, it would probably be slow and clunky. It just was not intuitive for me at all. As I said in another topic, though, I would be so happy if a podcatcher existed that didn't require you to jump through a whole bunch of hoops just to download all the episodes from a given feed.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-12-03 16:05:43

you could use Web IE podcatcher or the podcatcher in the speak on media sweet.  The advantage to the one in speak on is that you can search google for podcasts in it directly. The things I hate about it is that it is self voicing, so that means you can't use NVDA directly with it, and the UI is just odd. Also, it starts playing the newest episode in the feed instead of just loading the feed and letting you choose. Web IE podcatcher does let you choose an episode to start on but you have to make it play the next one over and over if you decide to start  on a different episode. The things I don't like about Web IE are that you have to find your own OPML files and emport them, and the keystrokes for it are just odd. Same for speak ob.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.