2018-08-14 10:56:21 (edited by annellin 2018-08-14 11:10:14)

Hello all. This is an old mud, but I never saw it mentioned on this forum for some reason... If someone posted about it and I didn't saw it, Mods, please move this to general.
So, what is  accursed lands, Or in short, AL?
Al is a crafting and rp mud.
You can cook, skin animals, butcher them, and much more.
I can't even start and explain how many things you can craft.
From grass baskets, to wooden cabins, stone houses, forge, clothes, etc. There are too many things to list. from their crafts help file:
Here is a (non-comprehensive) list of craft skills:
Butchery
Carpentry
Dyeing
Fishing
Gem Cutting
Glass Working
Knitting
Metal Working
Smelting
Smithing
Leather Working
Logging
Mining
Pottery Working
Sewing
Stone Carving
Tanning
Weaving
Whittling, and much more.
You can trade them, sell them in a shop in one of the cities etc.
Now, a few things about death.
Here death is...diferent, and not very kind.
here is the help file:
If you think life on Terrinor is hard... then don't die.  Death should be
your main reason to keep trusted friends (or well paid acquaintances) with
you in your travels.
As you might expect, being dead will severely restrict your character's
options.  In fact, they will be completely unable to act, unaware of
their surroundings, and dependent upon others for protection from any
scavengers or thieves that may come along.
When a character dies, they have slightly more than one real life hour
to be found and resurrected.  While their spirit is thus estranged from its
corporeal counterpart, their memories will slowly fade, and their bodies
will decay.  This is reflected in loss of skills and stats.
After several hours of separation, a spirit may completely forget its
terrestrial existence, and become unsalvageable.  This is where fetishes
come into play.
A fetish may be likened to an anchor or a beacon.  Either way, it serves to
keep your character's spirit from making its final departure.  If, after being
dead for 75 minutes, your character still retains his or her fetish, they will
automatically be resurrected.  Your character must be logged in to accumulate
this time and eventually resurrect.
While you are waiting to be resurrected, you can use the "deadtime" command
to check how long your character has been dead.  As there is little else
you can do in the meantime, you might want to order up a pizza and/or read
up on those pesky help files that never seem to get read ahead of time.
If your character is unfortunate enough to have lost their fetish, and
has died far from any likely source of aid, you will probably face what is
called "permanent death".  This means that your character has entirely
ceased to be, and all of their belongings, both property and chattel, are
forfeit.  Attempting to relay a former character's belongings to a new
character is considered "hoarding", and is a form of cheating punishable
by temporary or permanent banishment.
If your character has been permanently killed, that character ceases to exist.
There is absolutely no interpretation of the player rules that can
justify bringing a permanently dead character back to life.  If you
create a new character and use it to mimic a previous character, you
are breaking the rules and contravening every tenet of good roleplay.
This is a bannable offense.
----
It's not a easy mud. I'll be the first to say this, but it's a good one, even more if you look at all the crafting options.
Be careful, they have 6 million rooms. Yes, the mud is big, and players can expand the rooms by digging tunnels for mining and more.
The players are helpful. There are mentors who will help you icly, and if you're not afraid to roleplay a little maybe the mud is for you.
If you don't want to be found and you want to figure things out on your own, you can turn who off.

Screen reader users:
I spoke to the admins and suggested a few things for making the mud better, and they're looking into it.
For now, it's playable, if you're willing to give it a try, you'll be able to play and have fun.
In the wilderness, survey is on by default.
You'll want it off, so tipe survey off.
At the moment there's no soundpack.
If you decide to play and know how to make one, we'd appreciate a link:)

I'm pretty sure i missed explaining some things... If you have questions ask. There are things that can be answered icly so i can't answer to every little thing, but what i can answer i will.

Connection info:
mud.accursed-lands.com
port 8000

"Heroes aren’t always the ones who win. They’re the ones who lose, sometimes. But they keep fighting, they keep coming back. They don’t give up. That’s what makes them heroes."

2018-08-14 14:47:54

isn't this one like dead, and has been dead for some time. Like, I've heard the player base is virtually nil. It does sound good though.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-08-14 14:55:53

@Ironcross,
No, it isn't dead. At the moment here are 10 players on. And yesterday i asked the admins if the game is just kept up or worked on too, and they said actively worked on.

"Heroes aren’t always the ones who win. They’re the ones who lose, sometimes. But they keep fighting, they keep coming back. They don’t give up. That’s what makes them heroes."

2018-08-14 15:52:44

oh nice.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-08-15 10:49:18 (edited by annellin 2018-08-15 10:49:49)

Oh, you can also turn brief on. and in the wilderness tipe l s or n etc to make sure that in the next rooms aren't dangerous animals.

2018-08-15 12:18:25

Very nice MUD and very friendly folks. The crafting is very funny. But in many cases there are no lists for example for stuff you can craft with weaving or so on. That makes it a little tricky to see what you can do. Wayfinding can also be realy realy hard if you get lost in a big forest area.

2018-08-15 12:56:25

any idea what should I do after I create my character?

2018-08-15 14:47:45

@6
I know, it's hard to find your way in the wilderness, that's why i suggest you pick a south or so direction and explore. The admins said that they'll try to make it more friendly for screen reader users but until then we need to wait and suggest to them what we think that can make the game more friendly.
when it comes to crafting,
you can contemplate.
like...
contemplate stone house, bag, stone bowl, grass mat, etc.
The thing here is... you can craft a lot, and most things that come to your mind are craftable.
For examply ovens etc.
You can also analyze things that you have in your inventory or so.
@7,
Whatever you want. I mean, you can craft your house, cook, forage, roleplay, explore the wilderness, mine etc. Look what skills you have and so on.
Here to get other skills all you have to do is to practice them.
Want a torch?
get a knife, a stick, and whittle.

2018-08-15 15:28:50 (edited by JasonBlaze 2018-08-15 15:41:01)

yeah, it's cool, feels open world.
gotta use with the command though, you have to type everything clearly.

2018-08-15 15:43:27

@8:
Thats not completely true. For example. I tryed to analyze a practice target i found in a house. I dont have any knowledge in weaving. So i cant analyze the practice target at all.
I can use the syntax. But nothing will happen. You can do it all day long with no result i think.
As i said, it can be pretty tricky. But let me say again, it is a realy nice MUD.

2018-08-15 16:27:01

@9
I don't know if the command thing can be changed, but you can make aliases. type alias.
@10
hmm...then I guess you need to know a bit of the skill, not sure. i'm still pretty new here and still learning.
depending on what skills you have, you can try to create things. in your sack you should find some stuff to get started.

2018-08-15 16:56:48

Yeah I like this a lot. The one dumb thing is that when you build a fire, you can't add fuel to it, it just burns out. Though I like the fact that you have to get all your spark making tools out, then light the tinder, and use the tinder to light the torch or the fire etc. That's an epic level of awesome right there. No MUD has done fire starting to my satisfaction... until now.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-08-15 17:02:36 (edited by annellin 2018-08-15 17:05:37)

@12,
Weird, I will ask the admins if it can be changed, that's not ok.

2018-09-20 20:23:55

I have tried so many Muds, and never stayed with one.
But I've played this one for a month straight, gotten into the RP which I never do, and I LOVE the crafting!
The player base is small but friendly.
Efforts are ongoing for improvements in accessibility.
It is tricky to figure out what you can craft, but I just started looking around the world, and making notes offline about what things are called. For instance, "round table", "library table", etc.
Then I "contemplate" those things to see if I can make them.
Also, once you learn the least little bit of a skill, you can "recall" it, to see if you can get any more information on it.
As you explore more and more, you'll be able to recall more information.
There are also mentors online who will really help you get into the game.
Thanks for sharing this one, Annellin.

2018-09-21 07:54:50

I have to say, i left it cause it is so easy to get lost in the wilderness and if you are without stuff to eat or drink you are done. I will check in again if it becomes more accessible.

2018-09-21 11:36:11

Wow, sounds kinda interesting, have to try it out. It's basically the mud alternative of stw i think. big_smile

2018-09-23 15:22:57

@Mirage, I'm glad you like it!
@Firefly82 I know, it's easy to get lost. My best suggestion is to try to get a start point, then to go east, south etc until you find a river. like this you know how to find the city. And yeah... thei're working on accessibility.

2018-09-25 06:40:35

I actually used to play this game ages ago, or at least had an account on there. I decided to restart and will see where things go. Thus far, I'm pretty impressed, but I've just finished character generation.

2018-09-25 10:26:31

@Zkline, You'll need patience, But if you love crafting, The game is great. It just needs players.

2018-09-25 10:46:33

any idea what should I do after creating my character? I was having fun exploring the city big_smile
but I think I need more money, oh yeah, could you guys explain the money system? , I got confuse with the help file big_smile

2018-09-25 21:21:34

I've been a bit confused as to what to do myself, as it happens. I have discovered that I can at least read the wilderness map, maybe my experience with rogue like games helps a bit in that area.

I definitely appreciate the depth, but am left feeling a bit lost. Will have to explore carefully.

2018-09-25 23:25:01

I'm kinda over this game, why they have a newbie chan and 99.8% of what you ask on there is considered OOC but IC you can't get answers either, marked with the unstable nature of it. I thought I'd found a new home, I really was digging it, but man, just..... ugh.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-09-26 01:35:42

@Ironcross32: I'm not sure I follow? Are you having trouble getting answers to OOC questions, or IC ones?

I've had a pretty positive experience with the newbie channel thus far, at any rate.

2018-09-26 02:16:49

what they consider IC ones. I actually don't consider them IC really.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-09-28 14:09:06

Hey there guys, karate25 here. When I try to set up an account to play, I've got my account up, I just don't ever recieve my password email so I can actually log in. And I even check every folder on my email. I don't even know how to nuke an account and start over. I'd like to try this one if I haven't done so already.