2018-09-10 21:11:00

Most people probably don't know this series, but for those fighting game fans who ejoyed the hayday of the genre back in the 90s or grew up on them, you will know that SNK, after Capcom was the biggest name in fighting games at the time. Samurai Shodown is one of their classic series, and probably the first long running weapons-based fighter. So excited for a new game... and can't wait to hear more about this title coming out some time in 2019! This had better be coming to ps4. If not, I'm going to be very disappointed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FKoZb1sv64

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-09-11 08:57:20 (edited by hadi.gsf 2018-09-11 08:58:23)

i'm very hyped for this!
Hope that they also consider audio cues and stuff like that.
maaaaan, the waight is soooo long now
edit: also jesus, the music.......

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2018-09-11 16:16:05

They won't consider audio cues. Not for accessibility, anyway... any cues that are there wil be by accident. big_smile

2018-09-12 14:15:48

If they bring back gen-an shiranui I'll be happy. He was my favorite in the first two games. Not holding my breath though lol. I've been a fan of the series for a long time. I will say that samurai showdown sen was pretty bad, sounds like this is a serious return to form. I can't wait.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2018-09-12 19:44:50

The only thing I liked about Sen was the sound design and music. It was about time it got an audio overhaul... and I think it's possible they bring those two characters back. All the characters so far seem to be pre SS 4 characters, and there's no news on where it sits in the timeline. But I'm beyond excited for it. Samurai are still cool... remnant of my teenaged Japanese nerd days. There just aren't enough games about them that feature good action.

2018-09-14 09:30:03

For anyone else curious, this is what the latest version of the game, released way back in 2009, sounds like. Unfortunately, this game comes across as a cheap attempt to copy soul calibur and gives SS a bad name... but if the gameplay was as decent s the audio, which isn't half bad, that would've made up for it. Even the soundtrack at many points strays from the very traditional japanese feel of other SS games. And in ther American version, one of the trademarks of the series, the Japanese anouncer, is replaced with an English voiceover that sounds like he's half asleep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAawl8amrCk

2018-09-14 10:37:57

Hi.
I actually like that trailer pritty much. I never experienced the Samurai Showdown series first hand, just heard recordings here and there.
One plus point, and I guess I am the only one who thinks like that, but I like that the audio doesnt sound that anime like other fighters for example.
The music sounds pritty awesome, I like that mix of rock and traditional japanese instruments, sadly there are no band available doing this stile for regular albums, at leased I don't know of any.
I hope that there will be a pc release, would be quite awesome to get into a new series.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-09-14 15:04:00 (edited by assault_freak 2018-09-14 16:31:43)

Just curious to know what your definition of anime-sounding is.. because this certainly sounds anime to me. haha. And the music is fantastic... but I hope there's more of the traditional music that was present in older games. There are actually quite a few Japanese rock artists that fuse rock with traditional instruments and melodies... I just can't think of any.

2018-09-15 14:38:09

Hi,
I kind of like this as well. Interesting that the second part of the trailer is in English.
I, for what it's worth, also liked the video of Samurai Shodown Sen for what it was. Does anyone know if that one might be backards compat just for curiosity's sake? Also, I am wondering if this new Samurai Shodown will be on xbox one.

2018-09-15 15:56:48

Which part of it was in English?... that whole video is in Japanese. lol

2018-09-15 17:01:36

It is developed in unreal engine 4 so i'm pretty sure they're going to support pc ps4 and xbox.
What is hoped for in the community is crossplay support and whether we're going to see it happen

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2018-09-15 17:21:24

I saw a trailer the other day where the majority of it was in Japanese, but there were a couple of call outs that were in English "Let's do this!" before it switched back to Japanese.

2018-09-15 21:32:27

Ah I see what you're talking about. That's the American character in the game, Galford. He always speaks English in the Samurai Shodown games, granted it's very poor English...

2018-09-16 14:00:14

Hi,
Aah that makes sense.
I noticed they've actually got some of the older Samurai Shodown games under the ACA Neogeo series, on pretty much all platforms as well. Only one missing seemingly is Samurai Shodown V Special, although they do have Samurai Shodown V, and out of those two I don't really know which one to get. If they had special, I would have gone for that. In fact, which out of the games would you recommend, if any?

2018-09-16 15:27:48

V special is on ps4... and as for the other ones, that's purely up to you, and if you haven't played anythig in the series before, it won't really matter which one you decide to get. Just don't expect phonominal audio, since nothing on the Neo Geo games has ever had audio that was super stellar...

2018-09-16 16:05:47 (edited by pulseman45 2018-09-16 16:06:44)

Personally my first contact with the series was with the strange PS2 port of Samurai Shodown V, which had indeed an English anouncer, but the most annoying was the loading times, because in Europe at least it was decided the game would be on a CD-Rom instead of a DVD.
Now that it's available on PS4 I should probably try one of the episodes, that and probably The Last Blade 1 or 2 depending on which is available. It is clear that the audio shows it's age, but all things considered I don't think it has aged too badly.

2018-09-16 16:09:59

The old audio is actually one of te highlights for many people, especially myself, most particularly in the music department. The whole audio design gives a classic Japanese samurai cinema feel, since thegolden age of that genre was in the 70s and earlier. This series has one of the most unique atmospheres just from the sound design alone, and not only that, the art direction also screams Japan as much as the sound does. And both last blade games are available on ps4.

2018-09-16 16:11:44

Oh lord. I hope it's better than the mess they released several years ago for X360

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2018-09-16 16:55:53

So far, from all the reactions, this looks like a Samurai Shodown game that is true to form.. the last one looked like a mess from the start. This is god old 2d SS.

2018-09-16 17:48:34

I will say though, however crappy the gameplay was, Sen was appealing if you just based it on the audio.

2018-09-16 22:50:18

@17: Thanks, that's good to know!

2018-09-17 12:30:25

Hi,
Last Blade 1 and 2 available under the aca neo geo series, aca neo geo last blade and aca neo geo last blade 2, for ps4, xbox one, and switch.
Aca Neo Geo Samurai Shodown, Samurai Shodown ii, Samurai Shodown iii, Samurai Shodown iv, Samurai Shodown v are also available, all accept v special seemingly.

2018-09-17 19:42:56

Again as I stated. Samurai Shodown v special is available on ps4, not sure about the other platforms... but according to Aaron's info, it appears not. Unfortunate, since V special was very much superior to V.

2019-04-03 07:23:12 (edited by assault_freak 2019-04-03 07:25:26)

Bringing this topic back we finally have new videos! From PACS East 2019. The trailer itself isn't all that interesting, but there are two videos which show the game in full stereo, and it sounds like SS is definitely being overhauled in the sound department. Everything sounds exactly like what I would want from an SS game in 2019. And check out that music!

First off, 44 minutes of raw gameplay, brief segments of what seems like story / arcade mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSAllpsiBec

Second, Maximillion, fighting game youtuber, against some SNK developers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpYMgRVvsBQ

Judging from the first clip, menu choices will be spoken when clicked on. No word on whether there wil be an English dub or not, unfortunately.

Some other details:

The new Samurai Shodown releases on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in June 2019, while the PC and Nintendo Switch versions will arrive later in Q4 2019. The initial roster of 16 characters will include 13 veterans and 3 newcomers. Additional fighters will be added to the game via DLC character packs. Confirmed modes include: Battle, Online, Story, Dojo (featuring a new Ghost AI system), Practice, Database & Gallery.

2019-04-03 07:28:17

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen