2018-09-13 10:01:45

Dear everyone,

TLDR; admin messed up and tries to get back your posts.

There was something wrong with AudioGames.net Our host upgraded the hosting system. As we use Cloudflare to protect the website from DDos attacks, spam floods and hacks and the DNS was still pointing to the old server. Consequently, your forum posts were posted to the old forum database and after the migration of the server, about two weeks of forum progress was lost. 

This time our host is not to blame: As a father of two young kids with one and a half year of sleep shortage I made an assumption that the migration had already taken place for this type of website account and that all was working fine.

The good news is that we now have automatic backup systems and many more great features. The bad news is that I'm trying to get a backup of the old posts. If I have it, I can set up a read only clone of the forum so you can copy lost data if needed.

All the best,
Sander & The AudioGames Team

2018-09-13 10:45:22

grate news

2018-09-13 16:10:43

Thanks for getting everything fixed and sorted out, I'll work on getting the db uptodate.

The two main sections of the forum which could really do with keeping uptodate are new releases and the news room, so maybe some of the topics and posts from there could be resurrected and copied across, that way people could learn about new releases such as tomb hunter, and the fridge without the inconvenience to devs of reposting their posts.

While missing out on some topics and discussions is undoubtedly annoying (I'm a little sorry the favourite books topic went bye bye), from a practical perspective as far as the forum goess it is the new releases we likely need to focus on.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-09-13 22:19:36

Personally, the loss of the electronic games topic made me a bit sad. It was just getting started, and I felt I had a lot to contribute to it.

All in all, though, I completely agree that the new releases need to be taken care of first. In addition, I think it would be great to get the threads back up where people announced their Youtube streams, I think those are important.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-09-15 01:53:57

I'm glad that a more plausable reason was provided. The reason that nameservers were changed, as provided in the original banner, is not defensible because nameservers don't do that. If the nameservers had changed, that would indicate that either the host had updated their nameservers or your domain had expired. Either way, the domain would no longer be resolvable by the DNS system, and so cloudflare would probably give a totally different message than just error 503.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github